Mirrors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Mirrors

Just wondering if everyone in a suv, such as a Rav4 use side extension mirrors and could you do with out ? . Just trying to figure out everything i need on the trek up to Backus MN. in sept-oct. and on the way back. Thanks, carl.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Just wondering if everyone in a suv, such as a Rav4 use side extension mirrors and could you do with out ? . Just trying to figure out everything i need on the trek up to Backus MN. in sept-oct. and on the way back. Thanks, carl.
I use one on the driver's side, but found the one on passenger side was of little help so took it off. I drive a S10 Chevy Blazer.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Carl, I was wondering the same thing. We pick up our 13 two weeks from today. We have a Subaru Forester. There are other older threads discussing this, and the advice is all over the map. Many say see if you need them, then buy. That's probably what I'm doing.

I've always heard that if the total width of the trailer (6' 8" per Scamp) is less than the width of your side-view mirrors, you're fine without extensions. Roll down you front windows and measure from mirror to mirror. That dimension leaves 2/3 of my mirrors clear. That 6' 8" dimension might also be at the belt line as well. The trailer body tapers smaller from that figure too.

I'm glad you asked this. The answers will prove helpful. My experience towing fiberglass RV's could fit in this circle: "o" I will let you know how it all works out when we get home.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Most states have a requirement that you can see behind your vehicle as close as 200 ft. Therefore side mirror extensions are required in most states. I think that a camera running full time mounted on the back of the trailer with the video visible at the drivers position will substitute for mirror extensions.

Most of the laws I've seen don't mention trailer width on visibility behind the trailer.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

Registry
Here's a pretty good site for trailer towing laws by state. Some laws are there no matter where the trailer is licensed. Here's the link.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #6

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Rav4

I don't have them on my Rav4 and have never felt like they would help since the trailer is the same width as the car. I do however open the curtains so I can look through the camper out the back. That makes a big difference parking.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I use Fit System #3891 clip on mirrors that attach with ratchet straps on our Honda CRV and am happy with them. Got them from Amazon. I can get along without them but they give extra rear vision.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Had a RAV4 towing a 6'8" Snoozy. Never thought of mirror extensions when we picked it up, bought them the next day as I felt very uncomfortable with the poor rear view. The mirrors helped a lot but came with their own slipping and vibration problems. A rear view safety camera system was the ultimate fix.

You can't do that for the trip home unless the factory mounts the camera for you but I'd take at least one extension mirror. An extra set of eyes when you are turning or changing lanes doesn't hurt either.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a Toyota Highlander which is wider than your Rav4 but my EggCamper is also wider (88 inches) than most fiberglass trailers. I had never towed before I purchased the trailer two years ago.

I have towed the trailer approx. 13,000 miles solo without mirrors. I do have a back up camera in my Highlander that is absolutely a blessing for hitching up solo.

Personally I am fine without additional mirrors. I do drive very defensively and give myself a lot of room to switch lanes and will often drive past my destination if I feel unsafe in making a lane change and make a circle and come back for a second try.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Gayle View Post
I have a Toyota Highlander which is wider than your Rav4 but my EggCamper is also wider (88 inches) than most fiberglass trailers. I had never towed before I purchased the trailer two years ago.

I have towed the trailer approx. 13,000 miles solo without mirrors. I do have a back up camera in my Highlander that is absolutely a blessing for hitching up solo.

Personally I am fine without additional mirrors. I do drive very defensively and give myself a lot of room to switch lanes and will often drive past my destination if I feel unsafe in making a lane change and make a circle and come back for a second try.

Just because you haven't gotten caught doesn't mean it's a good idea. The first wreck and your visibility is checked you'll rethink your position.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Carl, I purchased a custom slip on pair of mirrors made by Longview from Etrailer for my '02 Ranger and tow an '06 SD17. Only used them once and they had no vibration. The factory mirrors on the truck work fine for me . Ran commercial for 20 years so I'm real used to the mirror rear picture, but I do carry them just in case.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I tow a 17B Escape with a RAV4. I have a pair of Tow-'n'-see mirrors that I no longer use. They attached by suction cups to the factory mirrors ( blocking some view ). I replaced them with Milenco Grand Aero mirrors. They attach to the factory mirrors so that you can adjust the factory mirrors independently of the Grand Aero. I can see fast overtaking vehicles in the Grand Aero mirrors and see what is near in the factory mirrors.
I see no point in using a rear view camera to see what is immediately behind me.
Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK
Old 07-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I use an extension mirror on the drivers side on both my Dodge Dakota and my Subaru Outback. The reason I prefer the extension mirror is that you lose the use of the windshield mounted mirror to be able to see what is directly behind you in your lane, such as a vehicle overtaking quickly an about to jump into the next lane to pass you about the same time you plan to enter that lane to pass someone. Just makes for extra safety, as the standard mirrors will allow you to see what's behind you in the next lane, but the camper blocks your view directly behind you.
The pictures below show the view from the standard mirror does not show what is directly behind you in your lane at all. The biggest problem with that is there are too many drivers that get impatient, will pass the left lane vehicle on the right, then swerve over to pass you on the left at high speed, just about the same time you've made the decision to move to the left lane to pass another vehicle or avoid a road hazard.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror view.jpg   Mirror view2.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirror

We have Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirrors on our Nissan Frontier/Scamp 19 rig and find them very helpful. They ratchet snug with plastic straps and we have noticed little if any wiggling or shakiness. Amazon sells them for $29 per pair. We do try to remember to fold the mirrors flat in parking lots.

A few items you might need for your trip home are: a freshwater hose, a piezoelectric lighter for range and water heater, the sewer end for the slinky hose, and a padlock for the trailer hitch. These were items we had to scramble for when we picked up our Scamp.

Enjoy your new trailer!
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I've towed with and without extra mirrors, and it is more comfortable having the mirrors even though one may get by without them for a while. I used the same kind as Radar1 and they work well, however they only last for a couple of seasons before the straps deteriorate and break.

A while back I saw a post about a mirror that attaches to the top of the existing mirror's housing with a couple of thumbscrews (IIRC), and they looked really good. I'll probably buy one of that type next.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is the mirror Mike.

Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK

You'll find them on Amazon and at Costco.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Had a RAV4 towing a 6'8" Snoozy. Never thought of mirror extensions when we picked it up, bought them the next day as I felt very uncomfortable with the poor rear view. The mirrors helped a lot but came with their own slipping and vibration problems. A rear view safety camera system was the ultimate fix.

You can't do that for the trip home unless the factory mounts the camera for you but I'd take at least one extension mirror. An extra set of eyes when you are turning or changing lanes doesn't hurt either.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Did you do the rear view camera yourself Denny? How? Got pics?

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I got these for my F150: Amazon.com: CIPA 11600 Ford Custom Pair Towing Mirrors: Automotive

They're okay, but 1st off, I rarely use the passenger side one. The driver's side one though allows me to see closer behind the trailer than my regular stock mirror will. Basically I want to install a rear view camera on the back of our egg. That means another monitor on my dash along with the truck rear view camera monitor and the GPS!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #19

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I got these for my F150: Amazon.com: CIPA 11600 Ford Custom Pair Towing Mirrors: Automotive

They're okay, but 1st off, I rarely use the passenger side one. The driver's side one though allows me to see closer behind the trailer than my regular stock mirror will. Basically I want to install a rear view camera on the back of our egg. That means another monitor on my dash along with the truck rear view camera monitor and the GPS!

Frank
I've got those for my Blazer. The one problem I had with them is they are a little heavy and if your existing mirror mounts are worn, they will shake like heck with the extension on. I ended up replacing my passenger side mirror because I couldn't get it to tighten up. Once I installed the new mirror, I decided I didn't need the passenger side extension anyway since I am almost always in the right hand lane.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
On my Savana, I can only see the top corners of my Trillium, so I don't see the point of additional mirrors.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote