modify hitch to hold propane tank, battery and generator. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Question modify hitch to hold propane tank, battery and generator.

I am newby here........ I have a 2010, 13" Scamp w/out bath. I want to add something over the "pointy/hitch" end of the trailer to hold my 75lb generator (too heavy for me to move around), 1 propane tank and 1 battery. This will also increase (I think) the tongue weight which needs to occur so I can use my new battery operated dolly to move the trailer into my back yard. There needs to be more weight on the wheels of the devise to keep traction on its wheels. I'm not sure how to explain it, I know what I think I need but am not sure I can do that. I picture a netted type metal box which fits the items and is situated up to the trailer front to the hitch. Is there a name for one of those? Where would I buy one and have it attached? Any ideas? Thank you!!
Susan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Susan A...A 75 pound generator sounds maybe overkill for a 13 foot Scamp,unless you have A/C.What kind of generator and how many watts?
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You don't mention what you are towing with but, unless you have a vehicle with lots of tongue load capacity, adding another 75+ lbs to your hitch weight might not be a good idea. As far as needing more weight so your "Mover" will work. How about, when you need more weight, strap two empty 5 gallon water containers on the front and then fill them with water for the weight you need?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
To get enough room for all of that you're going to have to lengthen your tongue and I really think you're going to be heavy on the tongue.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Maybe you could put one of the items on the back to counter balance the added weight on the front. I think some people have moved a battery to the back bumper, for instance.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Susan has already said that one of the main reasons for doing this is to ADD tongue weight - whereupon, comme d'habitude, - EVERYONE jumps in to say "warning- you may be adding tongue weight" and - why not do "this or that" to reduce the tongue weight! From what she says in her post, if she puts stuff on the back bumper, she'll have to add concrete balast to the tongue to accomplish what she asked for advice about!

Bob has a good idea here
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan A View Post
I am newby here........ I have a 2010, 13" Scamp w/out bath. I want to add something over the "pointy/hitch" end of the trailer to hold my 75lb generator (too heavy for me to move around), 1 propane tank and 1 battery. This will also increase (I think) the tongue weight which needs to occur so I can use my new battery operated dolly to move the trailer into my back yard. There needs to be more weight on the wheels of the devise to keep traction on its wheels. I'm not sure how to explain it, I know what I think I need but am not sure I can do that. I picture a netted type metal box which fits the items and is situated up to the trailer front to the hitch. Is there a name for one of those? Where would I buy one and have it attached? Any ideas? Thank you!!
I couldn't locate the thread via a search ... but Joy A. did a mod which included mounted a generator onto her Scamp '13 tongue. Maybe you can PM her so that she can post her pics.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Hi, Susan!
Do you know the loaded weight of your trailer? Do you know its present tongue weight and whether it is 10-12% or what percentage of your loaded weight? Do you know your vehicle's maximum tongue weight capacity? You would need to know all of those to figure out what to do about the dolly situation.

First and foremost, you need the correct tongue weight for towing. I agree with Bob Miller that you might strap on some weight ---very temporarily--- for the dolly.

As for the box, I have a huge front box and I mean huge and its capacity is only 100 lbs. So that's another thing to consider.

So you need some numbers to get your answer.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a five page thread, including Joy's pics etc.: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-36621.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #10

Name: Susan
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Wow! You guys are GREAT! Thanks for all your information and suggestions, and so quick! To answer a few questions, I have an air conditioner so I bought a Boliy Pro3600SIE generator. I tow with a Subaru Forester. It sounds however, it's not a good idea. Thanks for the water bucket idea, that will probably solve the dolly problem. I considered putting a rocking chair on the tongue for my 89 year old mother to sit on (like Beverly Hillbillies) to add weight, then I couldn't figure out how to get her up on it.......just kidding.
Thanks again!
Susan A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator, propane