More axle questions: compact junior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Thanks to all those who offered perspectives and insights to my earlier posting.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=38208

I have spent a lot of time reading other posts about axles. There seems to be a wisdom that suggests that torsion axles give more stabilty and maybe a smoother tow than leaf springs. There has been some who think that adding a torsion axle to the frame of a compact Junior would involve more work than practical. It would appear that the frame of our compact junior has already experienced some strengthening. A lower profile of a trailer, is a lower centre of gravity, and maybe a smoother ride and less profile above the tow vehicle,means more fuel economy while a lower trailer may mean, more wheel rub and more bumber rubs over dips etc.

All of this is to inquire what questions should I be asking the dealer as I weigh the pro's and cons of replacing present axle with leaf springs with a new axle with leaf spiring and brakes or a torsion axle with brakes? If a torsion axle with brakes what degrees should I be considering for the trailing arms? At what point is the extra cost, I am assuming torsion is more money, not worth it.

I want to be informed before I go to ask the questions of the dealer, who I know deals with Standen's in Calgary.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Thanks to all those who offered perspectives and insights to my earlier posting.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=38208

I have spent a lot of time reading other posts about axles. There seems to be a wisdom that suggests that torsion axles give more stabilty and maybe a smoother tow than leaf springs. There has been some who think that adding a torsion axle to the frame of a compact Junior would involve more work than practical. It would appear that the frame of our compact junior has already experienced some strengthening. A lower profile of a trailer, is a lower centre of gravity, and maybe a smoother ride and less profile above the tow vehicle,means more fuel economy while a lower trailer may mean, more wheel rub and more bumber rubs over dips etc.

All of this is to inquire what questions should I be asking the dealer as I weigh the pro's and cons of replacing present axle with leaf springs with a new axle with leaf spiring and brakes or a torsion axle with brakes? If a torsion axle with brakes what degrees should I be considering for the trailing arms? At what point is the extra cost, I am assuming torsion is more money, not worth it.

I want to be informed before I go to ask the questions of the dealer, who I know deals with Standen's in Calgary.
Kent--- putting a torsion style axle under shouldn't be to hard. I would reccomend however, of adding a chunk of square tubing under the frame to strengthen it and to spread the stress a little. In other words now all the weight would be in one spot on the frame as opposed to two. (make sense?) Just add a couple drilled plates to the frame (weld them on) so the axle can be bolted on.
However, I think my CJ rides softer than my Scamp. The mantle (propane lamp)survives in the CJ even on offroad trips, while the mantle (propane lamp also) is destroyed every time the Scamp is moved.... Things don't fall off the shelves in the CJ, while my hat, etc always takes a dive in the Scamp..... The Scamp never sways at any speed (had it up to 85 mph) while the CJ starts to bobble at 70 mph. I think I would add shocks if I keep it. (CJ will be for sale in Spring - or now for that matter) Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #3

Trailer:
Quote:
However, I think my CJ rides softer than my Scamp.
Might this be because the 35-year-old CJ springs work just fine, while the 25-year-old Scamp torsion axle is getting tired and doesn't flex as much as it used to?

Of course, if you've recently replaced the Scamp axle, you can happily ignore this question!

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Might this be because the 35-year-old CJ springs work just fine, while the 25-year-old Scamp torsion axle is getting tired and doesn't flex as much as it used to?

Of course, if you've recently replaced the Scamp axle, you can happily ignore this question!

Andrew
I'm ignoring--- replaced the axle in '06. Ya oughta seen the damage before-- crack above the door, frame cracked in 6 places... whooeeee Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I would tend to believe the Scamp doesn't sway at high speed because of better aerodynamics and possibly better balance than the Compact Junior -- rather than because of the suspension type, unless there is looseness in the spring pivots on the CJ.

Tire size and type could also be a factor. The tires on a CJ we had back in the 70's were of a nylon cord, bias ply construction with a profile as I recall of about 80%.

As for a suspension, the ultimate might be something from a mid-to-late 80's Cadillac DeVille. The ride in the rear seat of those front wheel drive cars is about as good as it gets. If it were possible to retro-fit such a system on a Scamp I would believe there would be very little evidence of flying objects in the trailer during travel.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle