More Tire Talk - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
While I still have no response from the local police, I did contact Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation, and spoke with the person responsible for non-commercial vehicle inspections. He confirmed that the only applicable regulation is the one which I quoted earlier, and that there is no specific requirement for ST tires, or prohibition against any other type.

He emphasized the need for adequate load and speed capability, and use of tires federally approved for highway service, but of course that would include any tire (trailer, truck, passenger car, or otherwise) which we would consider for use on our trailers.

I am confident that there is no Alberta requirement for ST tires, and I would be interested in seeing an actual regulatory reference for such a requirement existing anywhere in Canada. Since the police officer who told Laura that there was an ST requirement in Alberta did not quote any regulation, I suspect that he was just taking a conservative guess - but thanks, Laura, for letting us know what you found.

I may, in the end, put ST tires on my B1700, but I'm not concerned about legal compliance with any properly chosen tire. Of course, it is each person's responsibility to ensure that they are in compliance, regardless of what they might hear from anyone else (like me).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Tab Uses Carlisle ST tires.

http://www.dutchmen-rv.com/scripts/p.../get.php?id=46

Also one cant depend on a cop for info on the law. They, more than most people, will just tell you something rather than say they dont know.

Why not just use the right tool for the job. ST tires for trailers and P tires for passenger cars.

Why make stuff harder than it has to be?

Quote:
FWIW:
I would presume that if TAB uses P-Metric (passenger) tires, that they derate the load capacity. What I don't know off the top of my head is the legal relationship between FMVSS requirements and T&RA. When I get a free moment I'll bip over to review the FMVSS

Old 06-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Tab Uses Carlisle ST tires.

http://www.dutchmen-rv.com/scripts/p.../get.php?id=46
Also one cant depend on a cop for info on the law. They, more than most people, will just tell you something rather than say they dont know...
I was initially mislead by the T@B web site, and now I think that Andy has been as well. The T@B home page has a link to Details & Specs (still in the tab-rv site), which has an Owners Manuals link, which is a general page for [b]Dutchmen, not specific to T@B. After choosing the all model years link, you are given a list of documents, many of which do not apply to the T@B line (such as "Fifth Wheel Landing Gears"). The Wheels and Tires link on that page offers the Carlisle Tire Information document which Andy provided above. I believe that this is just one of the documents which does not apply to the T@B product.

I agree with Andy's observation about police officers: if I had that job, I don't think that I would be able to remember all of the laws and regulations which they are expected to enforce, so I do not expect them to. I assume that an officer would look up the applicable regulation before issuing a ticket, and would at that point discover if there was no such regulation.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote