Motor Trends Truck of the Year - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #15
Member
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 48
I have been surprised by the lack of buyer acceptance of smaller pickups in recent years, and understand there could be a relative lack of product & profit in the category. But what is the "big 3 end run" around CAFE and how would the fuel economy standards result in the "demise of the most fuel efficient truck on the market" -- was this the Ranger? (If this is a Ranger related topic I can ask & comment on the current thread on that truck.)

Donna, thanks for starting this thread. You refocused my attention on the high payload & towing capabilities of F-150 EcoBoost V6.

Mark
- - -
__________________

__________________
Mark Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Roger C H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Posts: 2,172
Registry
Unhappy Ford, etc

My complaints against Ford are:

My wife's '88 Bronco II had the exhaust system break at 22K miles. I had to drive down to the mall where my wife was stranded. I obtained some wire coat hangers from a dry cleaners in the mall and wired the thing back up. I purposely left my repair to past 50K miles because the dealer refused responsibility and I could say my repair lasted longer than Ford's original job. LOL Bad decision. He would have made more money on me buying another car from him than it would have cost to fix the exhaust free.

The same dealer 'replaced' our door locks because someone tried to break into the Bronco with a screw driver. He said that works with Toyotas but not Fords. Said we had to replace all the locks because they only come in sets. I asked for the removed locks. He gave me a box of hodge-podge locks.

I bought my parents' '85 Mercury Marquis from the estate. It eventually needed a new heater core. The '84 core was located in the engine compartment. For '85 it was moved into the passenger compartment. Replacing it required removing the entire dash board to the tune of $800. This definitely was not a 'better idea.'

So I have had bad experience with Ford. But who can say? My '91 Plymouth Laser had to have the engine demounted to replace the timing belt, the mechanic/dealer said I had to replace the seals because they were leaking, this for $750. Then, 5K miles later, a bearing started making noise. Bad seal job? Dirt in bearing? Who knows. I bought a VW, which has its own horror stories...

Or my '77 Jeep Cherokee which ate tires because something, I'm thinking camber, on the front end was out and not adjustable and wore the outside tire edge prematurely.
__________________

__________________
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Perry J's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Posts: 975
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
My old 1976 Toyota PU is now being driven by my youngest grandson. It's been through his 3 older brothers.
I had it painted and the seat rebuilt when I gave it to my oldest grandson.
It has the original engine, to water pumps, 3 clutches, 2 since the grand kids started driving it,several brake jobs and almost a 1/2 million miles.
Since then I have had 5 or 6 other Toyota PUs and they have all had over 200,000 mile on the when I sold them for much more than a comparable Big Three truck.
I didn't need to sell them, I just wanted something new.
My only problem was with my 1991 V6 which blew a head gasket out of warranty and about 90,000 miles.
I took it to the Toyota dealer and was told it would not cost me anything as they had a problem with that particular engine and had extended the warranty for head gaskets to 100,000 miles.
Toyotas have a long track record of trouble free driving and extreme longevity.
I won't drive anything else.
I did have a big 1991 Ford F250 4x4 because Toyota had nothing to tow our 5th wheel at the time. It blew the transmission at 55000 miles and froze a lifter at about 90,000 miles requiring an engine rebuild.
If I needed a full size truck today it would be the full size Toyota.
__________________
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,815
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... My biggest BEEP with Ford these days is their decision to close the St. Thomas Assy. plant where all the Crown Vic's( Police Cruisers and Taxi's), Grand Marquis(Maruaders) and Lincoln Town cars were built...throwing 1000's out of work. The luckiest amongst them saw the writing on the wall a few years ago and now assemble Toyotas 30 miles down the road and Chevy Equinox' 10 miles closer.
Then Ford had the nerve to erect a billboard in london touting their new, US. built Taurus Police cruiser. The CAW union made Ford take down the billboard!!!
Since 1988 we have owned Ford... Not any more!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Okay, but can we please stay on topic and away from anything political. We ALL buy things based on budget, desires and maybe even political reasons, but that's best discussed elsewhere.

Thank you.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
My old 1976 Toyota PU is now being driven by my youngest grandson. It's been through his 3 older brothers.
I had it painted and the seat rebuilt when I gave it to my oldest grandson.
It has the original engine, to water pumps, 3 clutches, 2 since the grand kids started driving it,several brake jobs and almost a 1/2 million miles.
Since then I have had 5 or 6 other Toyota PUs and they have all had over 200,000 mile on the when I sold them for much more than a comparable Big Three truck.
I didn't need to sell them, I just wanted something new.
My only problem was with my 1991 V6 which blew a head gasket out of warranty and about 90,000 miles.
I took it to the Toyota dealer and was told it would not cost me anything as they had a problem with that particular engine and had extended the warranty for head gaskets to 100,000 miles.
Toyotas have a long track record of trouble free driving and extreme longevity.
I won't drive anything else.
I did have a big 1991 Ford F250 4x4 because Toyota had nothing to tow our 5th wheel at the time. It blew the transmission at 55000 miles and froze a lifter at about 90,000 miles requiring an engine rebuild.
If I needed a full size truck today it would be the full size Toyota.
Then of course you have folks like me...
I have owned Fords since 1968 and would cheerfully compare my maintenance cost, longevity, cosmetic durability and price with any other make... including Toyota.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Between my Dad and myself, we have had the following Fords:
1933B Ford v-8/1953 Ford/1956 Ford/1963 Ford/1966 Mustang/1972 Maverick/
1976 Mercury/2003 Mustang- wished I had kept the 1933 and 1966 and 2003
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
Posts: 158
Thanks, Donna.
__________________
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
When I was looking for a new truck a few months ago my first choice was the Ford, but the deals at the time, (through Overstock.com), made a comparable Toyota $3000 less. That, and the Toyota repair record (as reported by Consumer Reports), swayed me. Although I've been happy with the Tundra, every time I see a new Ford I wonder if I shouldn't have waited to see if the deals would have changed to where I could have justified the Ford - (I really like it's looks). I haven't priced the Ecoboost, but I hope it proves to be a reasonably priced winner.

It's somewhat old news, but Ford and Toyota have joined to make hybrid trucks:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...utilities.html
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #24
Member
 
Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Godfrey View Post
I have been surprised by the lack of buyer acceptance of smaller pickups in recent years,...
I bought an F150 Ecoboost last week. I shopped smaller trucks, but they just did not meet my needs. The new smaller trucks with V6 engines get worse mileage than my F150 EB, and are just as expensive. Our local Ford dealer had dozens of leftover 2011 models. We got an XLT Supercrew for $27,000; $10k under sticker.
__________________
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Godfrey View Post
I have been surprised by the lack of buyer acceptance of smaller pickups in recent years, and understand there could be a relative lack of product & profit in the category. B
- - -
I'll take the contrarian view in that I have never quite understood the concept of a tiny truck. If I am going to have a truck, I want a TRUCK, not a trucklet or a truckling. The F150 (with an 8 foot box and an extended cab) is about the smallest I would ever consider.
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
When I was looking for a new truck a few months ago my first choice was the Ford, but the deals at the time, (through Overstock.com), made a comparable Toyota $3000 less. That, and the Toyota repair record (as reported by Consumer Reports), swayed me. Although I've been happy with the Tundra, every time I see a new Ford I wonder if I shouldn't have waited to see if the deals would have changed to where I could have justified the Ford - (I really like it's looks). I haven't priced the Ecoboost, but I hope it proves to be a reasonably priced winner.

It's somewhat old news, but Ford and Toyota have joined to make hybrid trucks:
Ford to Join With Toyota to Develop Hybrid Pickup Trucks, SUVs - Bloomberg
WOW!! 54MPG!! Guess a 13 Scamp will just be too large to lug around, good thing I saved our old tent! Of course my then 17 year old Ford Escape should be worth a bundle!
BTW; This is the last year for the Hybrid Escape... The redesigned 2013 Ford Escape will lose hybrid option, but EcoBoost will provide better MPG rating.
How will that effect the collaboration?
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I'll take the contrarian view in that I have never quite understood the concept of a tiny truck. If I am going to have a truck, I want a TRUCK, not a trucklet or a truckling. The F150 (with an 8 foot box and an extended cab) is about the smallest I would ever consider.
If only we both had the choice! I have to keep my "right sized" truck.
Oversized trucks are not for me.
BTW, My Ranger has more room, HP and carrying capacity than A 1956 V8 F100.
I hardly think your's is the "contrarian" point of view, since the F150 is now the small end of the norm. In fact it may soon be the "truckling" of the offerings available!
Soon they will have to ban trucks from parking downtown where we live since they now block both the street and the sidewalk.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Perry J's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Posts: 975
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Ray, when you're out and about look for old PUs. You will be pleased at all the really old Toyotas you see.
I can't remember the last time I saw a 25 year old Ford unless it was a restored show truck.
Not saying anything is wrong with the Truck of the Year, just don't see alot of old domestics as daily drivers.
John
__________________

__________________
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
..............preclude to motor homes FargoEd Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 1 11-20-2009 09:38 AM
Slide-out motor switch Gerry Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 04-01-2007 04:58 PM
Scamp motor home??? Dave M General Chat 24 07-18-2006 10:46 PM
Division of Motor Vehicles Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 8 12-14-2002 05:08 PM
Scamp motor home??? Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.