Motor Trends Truck of the Year - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Between my Dad and myself, we have had the following Fords:
1933B Ford v-8/1953 Ford/1956 Ford/1963 Ford/1966 Mustang/1972 Maverick/
1976 Mercury/2003 Mustang- wished I had kept the 1933 and 1966 and 2003
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita
Thanks, Donna.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
When I was looking for a new truck a few months ago my first choice was the Ford, but the deals at the time, (through Overstock.com), made a comparable Toyota $3000 less. That, and the Toyota repair record (as reported by Consumer Reports), swayed me. Although I've been happy with the Tundra, every time I see a new Ford I wonder if I shouldn't have waited to see if the deals would have changed to where I could have justified the Ford - (I really like it's looks). I haven't priced the Ecoboost, but I hope it proves to be a reasonably priced winner.

It's somewhat old news, but Ford and Toyota have joined to make hybrid trucks:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...utilities.html
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #24

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Godfrey View Post
I have been surprised by the lack of buyer acceptance of smaller pickups in recent years,...
I bought an F150 Ecoboost last week. I shopped smaller trucks, but they just did not meet my needs. The new smaller trucks with V6 engines get worse mileage than my F150 EB, and are just as expensive. Our local Ford dealer had dozens of leftover 2011 models. We got an XLT Supercrew for $27,000; $10k under sticker.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Godfrey View Post
I have been surprised by the lack of buyer acceptance of smaller pickups in recent years, and understand there could be a relative lack of product & profit in the category. B
- - -
I'll take the contrarian view in that I have never quite understood the concept of a tiny truck. If I am going to have a truck, I want a TRUCK, not a trucklet or a truckling. The F150 (with an 8 foot box and an extended cab) is about the smallest I would ever consider.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
When I was looking for a new truck a few months ago my first choice was the Ford, but the deals at the time, (through Overstock.com), made a comparable Toyota $3000 less. That, and the Toyota repair record (as reported by Consumer Reports), swayed me. Although I've been happy with the Tundra, every time I see a new Ford I wonder if I shouldn't have waited to see if the deals would have changed to where I could have justified the Ford - (I really like it's looks). I haven't priced the Ecoboost, but I hope it proves to be a reasonably priced winner.

It's somewhat old news, but Ford and Toyota have joined to make hybrid trucks:
Ford to Join With Toyota to Develop Hybrid Pickup Trucks, SUVs - Bloomberg
WOW!! 54MPG!! Guess a 13 Scamp will just be too large to lug around, good thing I saved our old tent! Of course my then 17 year old Ford Escape should be worth a bundle!
BTW; This is the last year for the Hybrid Escape... The redesigned 2013 Ford Escape will lose hybrid option, but EcoBoost will provide better MPG rating.
How will that effect the collaboration?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I'll take the contrarian view in that I have never quite understood the concept of a tiny truck. If I am going to have a truck, I want a TRUCK, not a trucklet or a truckling. The F150 (with an 8 foot box and an extended cab) is about the smallest I would ever consider.
If only we both had the choice! I have to keep my "right sized" truck.
Oversized trucks are not for me.
BTW, My Ranger has more room, HP and carrying capacity than A 1956 V8 F100.
I hardly think your's is the "contrarian" point of view, since the F150 is now the small end of the norm. In fact it may soon be the "truckling" of the offerings available!
Soon they will have to ban trucks from parking downtown where we live since they now block both the street and the sidewalk.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #28

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Ray, when you're out and about look for old PUs. You will be pleased at all the really old Toyotas you see.
I can't remember the last time I saw a 25 year old Ford unless it was a restored show truck.
Not saying anything is wrong with the Truck of the Year, just don't see alot of old domestics as daily drivers.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If only we both had the choice! I have to keep my "right sized" truck.
Oversized trucks are not for me.
BTW, My Ranger has more room, HP and carrying capacity than A 1956 V8 F100.
I hardly think your's is the "contrarian" point of view, since the F150 is now the small end of the norm. In fact it may soon be the "truckling" of the offerings available!
Soon they will have to ban trucks from parking downtown where we live since they now block both the street and the sidewalk.

Well, my '56 F100 was a 6 cyl (with a 4 spd with "granny low") farm truck when I found it. Engine going in it is a 500 Cu In Cadillac out of a 1970
El Dorado, set up for a tad over 450 hp and about 650 pd-ft of torque. Mpg is not a high consideration on my priority scale for that particular one as you can imagine - its for fun only - but it likely will never even notice if my Bigfoot 21 is hitched on or not.

Story I heard is that Ford has realized that the new F150 and the Ranger series are now so close in capacity, power and MPG that one or the other was redundant. Ecoboost engines aside, the word was that the F150 had become so "soft" that the Ranger was not really any different anyway. However, reports on the capabilities of the F150 contradict that story.

The one I cannot understand is the version that has about a 3 foot bed, which I see at Home Despot on a regular basis. Wassup with THAT? An old-style station wagon would be more versatile!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #30

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
In another thread I posted some info on ultimate towing & payload capacities of the Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 3.5L V6.

While I have the specs at hand I will include some details here for those interested in the capabilities of the truck.

In addition to the "Max Trailer Tow Pkg" included with the 3.5L engine, Ford has a Heavy-Duty Payload Package available with the longest wheelbases (only) for each cab type, with 4x4 or 4x2.

As an example: The 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L w/HD payload package has a GVWR of 8200 lbs. The GCWR is 17,100 lbs, max trailer weight is 11,200 with a max 1,130 lb tongue weight. For this truck the GAWR-front is 4050 less Curb Weight-front of 3326 lbs gives 726 lb payload capacity at the front axle. GAWR-rear is 4800 less 2375 Curb Weight-rear gives 2425 lb payload capacity rear.

With a relatively broad & flat torque curve (peak of 420 lb·ft @ 2500 rpm) the turbocharged gas engine should perform well on grades and at higher elevations.

Mark
Ojai, CA
- - -
Mark Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Ray, when you're out and about look for old PUs. You will be pleased at all the really old Toyotas you see.
I can't remember the last time I saw a 25 year old Ford unless it was a restored show truck.
Not saying anything is wrong with the Truck of the Year, just don't see alot of old domestics as daily drivers.
John
That's because you are on the west coast where people don't really buy domestic trucks,so there aren't many around to begin with.
Come to the northern Midwest sometime and see real world trucks in an environment unlike the inside of a climate controlled garage!

BTW...Are you sure it's not that "Studebaker" styling on the Toyota,making them seem older than they really are?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Agreeing with Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That's because you are on the west coast where people don't really buy domestic trucks,so there aren't many around to begin with.
Come to the northern Midwest sometime and see real world trucks in an environment unlike the inside of a climate controlled garage!

BTW...Are you sure it's not that "Studebaker" styling on the Toyota,making them seem older than they really are?
Living In Minnesota and Wisconsin I don't see as many foreign trucks , mostly I see Ford , Chevy ,and Dodge . The reason maybe that the American trucks were or are built in the midwest. A lot of the trucks up here are used for work trucks (farming) and not commuter vehicles and so the tendency to go with the larger US trucks. Lastly the midwest uses a lot of salt on it's road in the winter , to a point that all the vehicles have a white film on them The foreign trucks seem to rust out faster from the salt . I have friends with 3 and 4 year old toyotas and nissans with holes Rusted through the body ,floor and tailgate
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #33

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland
I had a 04 2500 Cummins Ram for 3 years and loved it but did not need a heavy truck so I sold it and bought a 04 5.4L F150, hated it, lacked power and it just felt awkward to drive. So I looked at a new F150 Harley Davidson Edition, same issues as my 04. So I sold the F150 and bought a 01 Dakota V8 Quad Cab to beat around in until I decide on a new rig. I feel the Dakota drives better and has more power than my 04 F-150 did. It turned me off Ford half tons.

I have tested all half tons now and have no idea what I will get but am leaning towards a Tundra, but a Titan is running a close second with Dodge in third place.
Duke79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #34

British Columbia
I, too, had the Titan in my "top 10" - until I read a bunch of reviews of it in many,many, many automotive publications and in a few consumer advocacy publications. Then I talked to a few folks who drive Titans.

It now proudly comes in at number 13,759 in my top 10!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #35

Registry
The Titan is the only full-sized pickup truck that Consumer Reports doesn't have a "recommended" rating for.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #36

British Columbia
AS always - when you are looking for ANY major purchase, take the manufacturer's materials and beside every single statement - mark, in very large letters "BS until proven otherwise"

Your research for a new (or a used one!) vehicle does NOT start at a $tealership, but at the local library where they have copies of Consumer Reports, copies of the various "Lemon Aid" books (Edmonds) and by doing a LOT of on-line research on sites like - well - this one for example!

Bear in mind that several magazines that have the word "Consumer" in the title are not unbiased, and many have different views of what constitutes "good".

In the case of a tow vehicle, perhaps mags like "Trailer Life" (which I have never actually looked at so I'm guessing on that one!) might have some recommendations.

Popular Mechanics usually has an edition on new vehicles once a year

AND there are many, many magazines in your local stores devoted to trucks.

Learn, choose the ones you think will not only be comfortable and nice to drive, but which are, in your view, most likely to still be able to get the job done in 10 years time with minimal costs for repairs.

THEN go see the 2 or 3 you think should be considered.

(Or, win the lottery, so you can afford to take the salesman's word for how good it is! )
Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #37

Registry
I agree with Dave above. While shopping for our new truck I was amazed by the fiction told by salesmen. In addition to salesmen, my advice is to also take any advice you receive from any forum like this with a grain of salt. The members might mean well with their advice, but usually don't really have a wide understanding of all the options. Go to the genuine experts like Consumer Reports, New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com ,Car Reviews - 2012 Car Reviews and 2013 New Cars at Car and Driver , and especially http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/
People at any forum-type site like this will give all kinds of advice, both bad and good, but most of it will be purely anecdotal, out of date, or based on personal needs and preferences that don't necessarily match yours. These people might swear by a certain vehicle because it gave them decent service, (possibly five or ten years ago), while the fact remains that better choices are often available and sometimes for less money.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #38

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland
Yeah I take all publications with a grain of salt. Edmunds called it the truck of the year when it came out and four wheel mag rates it #1 this year I think. We had a 06 Xterra Off Road and loved it, just too rough in the back for babies so we ditched it. The thing towed great and had loads of power. My friend has a 05 Titan extended cab and I used it to tow my '81 CJ8 Scrambler with a 24' car hauler a few years ago and it towed very well great power. Only drawback I find in the Nissan is its poor looking interior and its weak rear suspension. For a truck that is rated to pull almost 10000 lbs it needs a beefier rear suspesion. Chris put air bags on his and now he is happy with it.

It all boils down to personal opinion. Some guys have great luck with whatever truck they have and would not trade it for anything. There are lemons in all brands, best to drive them all and see what you think.

My thoughts are Toyota has the best all round truck with great resale.

Nissan is good but resale lacks and interior is cheap.

The new Dodge looks good and probably has the nicest interior of the bunch with the consol.

Ford...bad experiance so its out...maybe 3/4 ton.

Chevy/GMC too old looking, father-in-law likes his '10 but not excited about it.

I guess it will come down to the best deal I get...
Duke79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #39

Trailer: Casita
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny B
Ever Argue With A Crazy Person?

Never really into trucks much, I went to a Monster Truck show that had a mud bog. As they ran the different brands of trucks through the obstacle people screamed vile insults at the brand of truck they disliked, and their owners. Each brand had its own detractors.

I took a Ford '04 F-150 on a planned year-long tour of the United States. What happened to me with that truck was nothing short of a nightmare. Half-way through lost the motor because of a tune-up. A friend gave me an old '04 Chevy Suburban that ran great the rest of the way and required almost no repairs. I still drive it 2 years later.

I am not foolish enough to jump into an argument about trucks. Learned my lesson at the Monster Truck show.

The proof is in the pudding. All new trucks look and drive great. For me the question is, what happens down the road? And when bad things happen like they do to every brand now and then, how is it handled? Think carefully about Ford. Search on the internet about potential problems and how they are handled.

Here's a video I shot about the terrible spark plug design on the '04 F150 that didn't show up until it was time for the first tune-up. Ford had no interest whatsoever in helping us. Period.

Caveat emptor...
Johnny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
My research for a car or truck starts at a car show. Being 6'-3" and the wife at 6'-0", seating is always a problem. This last weekend we went to the Portland auto show and tried out some trucks. We were looking at what we might get for a larger truck, to tow in the future. I was looking foreward to seeing the Dodge Ram, but was disapointed that the right passenger wheel well is cut in and pushes your feet to the right, at least it does for Dawn and I. This is a deal breaker for us, do to comfort on long hauls. We looked at the other makes and both liked the fit and comfort of the Ford. I have never had a Ford before and will research the heck out of it, but to me, if it doesn't fit it does not make any difference how good a truck/ car it is. We won't be making any final decisions for a couple of years, so who knows what may change. I'm also curious on how the Eco-boost will hold up over time and be looking at the Consumer Report after it's been around. After doing a couple of days of research online, most owners are happy with the Ford, but they haven't had it that long.