Motor Trends Truck of the Year - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Motor Trends Truck of the Year

Just announced!
Ford F-150 named Motor Trend Truck of the Year - Dec. 12, 2011

I like this:

Quote:
The big selling point for the EcoBoost engine isn't fuel economy, according to Ford, although it is somewhat more efficient than the larger V8 engines. Instead, it's the truck's towing and hauling power when equipped with the EcoBoost engine that attracts customers. The turbocharged V6 gives the truck more towing power than the larger 5.0-liter V8.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Donna D... The new turbos must be a diff. design than the Chrysler ones I sold in the 80's. They were not recomended for towing as the exhaust gate would remain open under load and over heat the berrings in the turbo...even with water cooling jackets surrounding the turbo shaft/blades. I'd like more info of a techy nature before I'd buy.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
I've got 22000km on one and it's AWESOME!!!!

Fuel mileage is the same or better than the 05 Tacoma I used to have but it's got waaaaay more power.

I love it.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Paul View Post
I've got 22000km on one and it's AWESOME!!!!

Fuel mileage is the same or better than the 05 Tacoma I used to have but it's got waaaaay more power.

I love it.
Paul, this is what I needed to hear. I love my 2000 Ford F-150 Triton V8, but it's getting long in the tooth and will need to be replaced with another tow vehicle within the next year. I've been following another thread on CasitaForum: Ford F-150's New "Ecoboost V-6 Twin Turbo" any comments plus or minus the more comments here on FiberglassRV or CasitaForum is GREATLY appreciated. Please continue to post the things that you find Pro/Con
Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
I really don't have any complaints.

We have the crewcab, 6.5' box, 4x4 FX4. The amount of rear seat room is great for the long summer road trips we do to southern Utah and the box is perfect for 3 dirtbikes that are in it every other weekend for 8 months of the year. It's very comfortable for myself, my wife, 2 teenage kids and a medium sized dog. It's very quiet and never strains even up the steepest hills and mountain passes. The amount of torque it's making at 1600 to 2500 rpm is outstanding. It pulls very hard loaded up and is a rocket when empty. Last summer we did Ouray Colorado to Durango before carrying on to Santa Fe and it never broke a sweat over any of the 10,000' passes. The Tow/Haul mode for the transmission also works very well. The ride is firm but not harsh and for a big vehicle it handles quite well. Actually, that's probably the only con.....it's a big, long truck but a pleasure to drive.

Cheers,
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This thread and a couple of the others made me go check the prices online at the local Ford dealerships. While I realize they only list MSRP and they will discount, all I can say as far as the cost is WOW. It appears that $35k is a minimum one would have to pay to get a truck with that engine. Of course being in the frozen north, all the trucks are 4wd which adds to the cost but still WOW! Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Never heard that one Alf, Maybe a little different but every semi I ever drove was turbo charged and all they ever do is pull a load. They're normally oil cooled, I believe.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here I was set on a toyota Tundra.....Donna, you got me thinking again, I was following the progress of this Truck. I will be purchasing a new tug in March, So any insight into this is much appreciated by me as well.

Don
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
The new turbos must be a diff. design than the Chrysler ones I sold in the 80's.
Alf,

I remember turbocharged Toyota trucks of the 80s were also not recommended for towing. I think the idea was that if you were in boost for an extended period (like climbing a long hill), it would overheat.

New Fords are different. I believe the EB has the highest tow rating of any F150: over 11,000 lb.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #10

Registry
Hi: All...My guess is that like anything new and different..."Time will tell".
I know semi's are turbo tows...but on a much larger scale!
The domestic big 3 are in an end run around the GOV's Cafe reg's and EcoBoost might just be the best option so far. After 25,000 K's though, I'm still more than satisfied with my V6 Nissan Frontier/Escape 5.0 combo.
The trucks I sold in the 80's had a base sticker of $7995. and I sold a lot of 'em... I guess they really were "The good old days".
Attached Thumbnails
earned my stripes.jpg  
Old 12-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #11

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
The domestic big 3 are in an end run around the GOV's Cafe reg's and EcoBoost might just be the best option so far.
Alf, it seems as though a more fuel efficient gas engine, suitable for towing and higher payloads, would be in the spirit of more stringent CAFE goals. Is there anything more to this?

Mark G
Carpinteria, CA
- - -
Mark Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Godfrey View Post
Alf, it seems as though a more fuel efficient gas engine, suitable for towing and higher payloads, would be in the spirit of more stringent CAFE goals. Is there anything more to this?

Mark G
Carpinteria, CA
- - -
Wouldn't it seem ironic that more stringent CAFE standards would result in the demise of the most fuel efficient truck on the market?
But one thing we know... They are from the government, so they must be here to help us!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #13

Registry
Hi: Mark Godfrey... I believe the "more to this", has to do with Ford not making enough profit with the ranger as opposed to the F150's. The bottom line usually comes down to profit!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The new Ford V8 makes almost as much torque (380) as the Ecoboost V6 (420), but the former must rev much higher (4250 rpm) than the latter (2500 rpm) to do so. The V8 will do the job, but the Ecoboost V6 will do it more quietly and will seem to be straining less. I can see why people are liking it. There are a lot of happy comments about the Ecoboost from owners on rv.net and I haven't read any complaints yet.

On a somewhat related note, my assistant got a F250 diesel a couple of months ago for towing the work trailer, and I was amazed at how quiet that thing is. They have really civilized those Powerstrokes now. And of course the torque is out of this world: 800 lb-ft @1600 rpm.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #15

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
I have been surprised by the lack of buyer acceptance of smaller pickups in recent years, and understand there could be a relative lack of product & profit in the category. But what is the "big 3 end run" around CAFE and how would the fuel economy standards result in the "demise of the most fuel efficient truck on the market" -- was this the Ranger? (If this is a Ranger related topic I can ask & comment on the current thread on that truck.)

Donna, thanks for starting this thread. You refocused my attention on the high payload & towing capabilities of F-150 EcoBoost V6.

Mark
- - -
Mark Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Ford, etc

My complaints against Ford are:

My wife's '88 Bronco II had the exhaust system break at 22K miles. I had to drive down to the mall where my wife was stranded. I obtained some wire coat hangers from a dry cleaners in the mall and wired the thing back up. I purposely left my repair to past 50K miles because the dealer refused responsibility and I could say my repair lasted longer than Ford's original job. LOL Bad decision. He would have made more money on me buying another car from him than it would have cost to fix the exhaust free.

The same dealer 'replaced' our door locks because someone tried to break into the Bronco with a screw driver. He said that works with Toyotas but not Fords. Said we had to replace all the locks because they only come in sets. I asked for the removed locks. He gave me a box of hodge-podge locks.

I bought my parents' '85 Mercury Marquis from the estate. It eventually needed a new heater core. The '84 core was located in the engine compartment. For '85 it was moved into the passenger compartment. Replacing it required removing the entire dash board to the tune of $800. This definitely was not a 'better idea.'

So I have had bad experience with Ford. But who can say? My '91 Plymouth Laser had to have the engine demounted to replace the timing belt, the mechanic/dealer said I had to replace the seals because they were leaking, this for $750. Then, 5K miles later, a bearing started making noise. Bad seal job? Dirt in bearing? Who knows. I bought a VW, which has its own horror stories...

Or my '77 Jeep Cherokee which ate tires because something, I'm thinking camber, on the front end was out and not adjustable and wore the outside tire edge prematurely.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #17

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
My old 1976 Toyota PU is now being driven by my youngest grandson. It's been through his 3 older brothers.
I had it painted and the seat rebuilt when I gave it to my oldest grandson.
It has the original engine, to water pumps, 3 clutches, 2 since the grand kids started driving it,several brake jobs and almost a 1/2 million miles.
Since then I have had 5 or 6 other Toyota PUs and they have all had over 200,000 mile on the when I sold them for much more than a comparable Big Three truck.
I didn't need to sell them, I just wanted something new.
My only problem was with my 1991 V6 which blew a head gasket out of warranty and about 90,000 miles.
I took it to the Toyota dealer and was told it would not cost me anything as they had a problem with that particular engine and had extended the warranty for head gaskets to 100,000 miles.
Toyotas have a long track record of trouble free driving and extreme longevity.
I won't drive anything else.
I did have a big 1991 Ford F250 4x4 because Toyota had nothing to tow our 5th wheel at the time. It blew the transmission at 55000 miles and froze a lifter at about 90,000 miles requiring an engine rebuild.
If I needed a full size truck today it would be the full size Toyota.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #18

Registry
Hi: All... My biggest BEEP with Ford these days is their decision to close the St. Thomas Assy. plant where all the Crown Vic's( Police Cruisers and Taxi's), Grand Marquis(Maruaders) and Lincoln Town cars were built...throwing 1000's out of work. The luckiest amongst them saw the writing on the wall a few years ago and now assemble Toyotas 30 miles down the road and Chevy Equinox' 10 miles closer.
Then Ford had the nerve to erect a billboard in london touting their new, US. built Taurus Police cruiser. The CAW union made Ford take down the billboard!!!
Since 1988 we have owned Ford... Not any more!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #19

Okay, but can we please stay on topic and away from anything political. We ALL buy things based on budget, desires and maybe even political reasons, but that's best discussed elsewhere.

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
My old 1976 Toyota PU is now being driven by my youngest grandson. It's been through his 3 older brothers.
I had it painted and the seat rebuilt when I gave it to my oldest grandson.
It has the original engine, to water pumps, 3 clutches, 2 since the grand kids started driving it,several brake jobs and almost a 1/2 million miles.
Since then I have had 5 or 6 other Toyota PUs and they have all had over 200,000 mile on the when I sold them for much more than a comparable Big Three truck.
I didn't need to sell them, I just wanted something new.
My only problem was with my 1991 V6 which blew a head gasket out of warranty and about 90,000 miles.
I took it to the Toyota dealer and was told it would not cost me anything as they had a problem with that particular engine and had extended the warranty for head gaskets to 100,000 miles.
Toyotas have a long track record of trouble free driving and extreme longevity.
I won't drive anything else.
I did have a big 1991 Ford F250 4x4 because Toyota had nothing to tow our 5th wheel at the time. It blew the transmission at 55000 miles and froze a lifter at about 90,000 miles requiring an engine rebuild.
If I needed a full size truck today it would be the full size Toyota.
Then of course you have folks like me...
I have owned Fords since 1968 and would cheerfully compare my maintenance cost, longevity, cosmetic durability and price with any other make... including Toyota.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote