My Brakes are Broke - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
if the PO used wire nuts, he could have gotten them too tight and created a 0 ohm barrier too!
"zero ohm barrier". That's a new one on me. Zero ohms is a short! I think maybe someone is pulling your chain. Raz

Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
it was a joke.

The Zero Ohm Barrier can also happen when the knobs on your stereo are too tight. Blocks the current flow like a tourniquet :-P

Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
it was a joke.

The Zero Ohm Barrier can also happen when the knobs on your stereo are too tight. Blocks the current flow like a tourniquet :-P
You got me.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #18

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 17' Casita FD
Massachusetts
Many years ago I worked with a character; when we got a greenhorn in and they mentioned that they thought some of the production equipment was running too fast he'd tell them "Well then, go ahead on out there and put a pair of vice grips on the power cord...just crank it down a little bit, not too much.". Maybe your vice grips are too tight!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #19

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I once had a problem with my brakes working intermittently. It turned out that the wire that goes from the street side brake to the curb side brake ran within the axle tube, and the wire insulation had worn through, thus grounding itself. I discovered it as I was replacing ALL the wiring to eradicate the problem (I just hooked a new wire to the old one and pulled the old wire out while pulling in a new one).
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #20

Trailer:
Quote:
The Zero Ohm Barrier can also happen when the knobs on your stereo are too tight.
But you have to have them on tight. Stops silly fools from coming along and being able to turn them down below 11.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #21

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Send a message via Skype™ to Greybeard
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I am on a 4-6 day trip.
When I got my trailer one brake worked and not the other. When I had someone step on the TV brake, with the trailer connected electrically, I could hear a slight buzz from the brake that was working, so I knew only was not good.
You mentioned earlier you did something similar and I think if neither brake is working, and you are very sure of this, then the problem is in a common place whrere there is only one wire, before it splits to each wheel. The problem will be wetween the plug and where the feed splits to each wheel or there is no ground, something common to both wheels.
On the other hand, if only one is not working then the problem is between where the single lead becomes two and the wheel not working.
It would be much easier to show you :-)
How far are you from Victoria BC?
Richard
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
I think that she is still in California
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #23

Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Yah, I kinda figured :-)
Richard
Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #24

West Coast USA
Registry
and trying to get out!

LOL.. I crawled underneath to check the lines at the hub.. he DID use wire nuts!

I tried to loosen them to let the current flow easier, but I think he glued them on... :-P

I have no continuity at the plug. Thats as far as I got, I was called away for work.

Then.. it was dark.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #25

Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Looks like you are getting closer to where the problem may be :-)
I hope you are kidding about allowing the electricity to flow.
The wire nuts are likely used to connect wires together, if they are what I think they are.
They are used to cover and protect bare wires that have been twisted together to make them connect. The wire nut is then turned on by hand and then tightened to ensure a seal. If they are under the trailer, subject to dirt, water and grit, they are likely corroded and the connection between the wires inside is gone.They are usually very tight.
It is probably not the easiest place to do anything but if it were me, I'd cut the wire coming from the connector plug and verify continuity between those points (between where the wire is cut and the connector). If there is continuity there, then I'd bet the prblem is in the distribution from there to the two wheels.
Before going any further, let me say I am assuming the wire nuts allow the single wire from the connector to be split to feed each wheels, and that is what may need to be replaced. It is just a "Y", I hope. That is also a common point to both wheels and since neither has power, it seems like a good bet for me :-)
Replacing the whole splice with soldered, covered connections would be my suggestion. Easier to say than likely to be able to do, unfortunately.
Hope this helps.
Richard
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #26

West Coast USA
Registry
and the bad news is...

I have a rock solid ground, I ran 12v directly back to the hub with new wire.. BUT.. no hum.

I cut the wires at the hub and measured ... wide open. Ran power directly to the other wheel..nothin'

Hubs gotta come off. Unfortunately, the trailer is buried behind 6 diesel pushers and a couple giant 5th wheels. Gotta get a mobile guy in here.

I will just have new assemblies put on. I was stunned to see how inexpensive (Relatively) they are. About 50 bucks each. With something this old, might as well. Gotta find out IF I can get assemblies for it. I have no clue what axle is on here. Its old (But still good) It's Canadian, and its covered in surface rust.

Greybeard, yes, I am joking about the electrical. In my former life, I worked in electronic engineering.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #27

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I was sure it was you Fetzer Valve,Fetzer Valve.

Is that Redundant?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #28

West Coast USA
Registry
Ed, No. No.

I did check the Fetzer Valve as I know that sometimes can create a Zero Ohm Barrier if it sticks. However, it was wide open and clear of any coagulated juice from the current bush.

The wires on the drums are red, however, and it is possible that the dye on the jacket has fouled the outer strands, creating a resistance field.

The other possibility about me not hearing any hum is that the wheels are too close together. Coil, magnet, electrical field.. put two of those side by side and opposing each other makes... a humbucker

(Guitar players can shoot me now)

Tags
brakes