My Brakes are Broke - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
So the you Break the Brakes and yur Broke. (Wonder how many more derivations of words that sound like "brake" we can use in one sentence!)

Yes diff needs work as highest priority - except if it ain't leaking all that much - and you are there - I'm not - so I can't advise. Many diffs "sweat" some oil thru the gaskets, but if it is a "drippy" leak - it will soon be an "iffy diffy"
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #42

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
its bad. I have no "symptoms" of a bad rear end..uh.. don't go there, I I have never noticed any drips or smelly things under the car until, well, today. The whole front end of the yolk is a gooey mess.

There is still fluid in there, but not much. Bought some more to put in there to get to the shop, just in case. Hopefully its just a seal..we shall see.

I suppose it was a blessing to find it now, instead of half way up Grants pass. That could have been..expensive and a total disaster.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I am officially 1 day behind schedule! yay.
Well, if it makes you feel better, I think it's snowing at your next destination....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #44

Registry
not really LOL!

Was just a leaking rear pinon seal, all fixed and not too much $$$. EZPZ.

Got my brake app. changed to tomorrow..so thats the plan..stay tuned!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #45

That's good news Gina and a relief I'm sure. Now go open a vintage Dr. Pepper and relax!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #46

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
The magnet coils that actuate the brakes can open up. I replaced mine 2 years ago, but I didn't machine the inside of the drum. The roughness of the drum ground down the face of the coil to the ground wire connection, making it an open coil. My first clue was power to the coil, but no current draw.
12 volts will be measured between the wires going into the drum, but it's still bad.

To test if the brakes are actually working, jack up one wheel, apply the brakes, and then try to rotate the wheel clockwise. Should take 1/4 turn or so to actuate and lock the wheel. Then repeat for the other side.

Another failure is a leaking inner seal which gets grease on the brake shoes. Not good.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #47

Registry
I now have new everything from the backing plate out. The magnets were open.. literally. When he pulled the wheels apart, the magnets on both sides came out in pieces. Split in two.

The drums were so gouged up that they could not be turned. I have no clue how they could get so bad, but they were UGLY!!! The bearings seemd OK, according to them, but I had all new put on anyway, as long as they were in there.

I am pleased with the results, I have never had *Brand New* brakes before, only ones that came on used trailers. Its nice.

It did look easy to do, I watched from afar, but I also am correct that I did not have enough "beef" to get the job done correctly and safely.

That chapter in the Leocraft saga is over and done.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #48

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It's a good feeling to have new brakes and wheel bearings! After a hundred miles or so you may want to re-torque the lugs and feel the hubs and brake drums for heat. Then you'll feel even better, and can drive it with wreck-less abandon.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #49

Registry
hubs are cool as a cucumber..felt them each time I have stopped. Have not retorued the lugs. I will go around in the morning and see what I can do. With me, torquing the lugs means jumping on the lug wrench. I am not exactly a body builder.

I sure appreciated the new brakes coming down Siskiyu Pass Into Ashland this afternoon. I had considered waiting to get them done, but all I could picture was that downgrade and my little Jeeps brakes a smokin'. I am glad I did it.

Had a little scare moment at the summit. Just as I crested, the trans temp light came on. I pulled over, called a friend for advise, checked the fluid (All red and full) and continued downhill. It was only on for 4 mins or so, 3.75 of those was idling on the side of the freeway.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #50

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Seems weird the trans heated up on a downhill run in cool weather. If it happens again it may be a good idea to get it checked. If you were using lower gears at high speeds it could explain it.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #51

Registry
No, it was on the uphill run. The light came on just as I passed the Summit marker.

Siskiyu Summit is the highest point on I-5 and its a LONG stretch up from the south. I find it more brutal than the grapevine. The uphill climb from the south is similar to the grapevine going north, but it ends up at a higher elevation.

Going back up it while heading south is pretty bad too..straight up, and a long miserable downgrade all the way to Yreka.

I often take the coastal route to avoid it.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #52

Yeah, Siskiyou Summit... not sure if ODOT designed that to keep Oregonian's in state or Californian's out, but it's a looong pull. Even worse in the snow!

At 4,310 feet (1,310 m), is the highest point on Interstate 5. The pass features some of the steepest grades in the Interstate Highway System. - Wikipedia
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #53

Registry
I know I won't be going to Colorado anytime soon with this combo LOL!

If I could swing it $$$ I would have a van.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #54

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gina I feel for you, I know the heart sinking feeling those little lights can give you - last one I had while towing was also on Siskiyou Summit on Dec 22 at 7PM - dark and raining and weather forecast for the next day was for snow so I was trying to make my way out of that area fast - wanting to get home for Christmas. While on the pass the the check engine light went on. Pulled over and searched the manual for possible reasons. One of the suggests in the manual for cause was that the gas cap was not fully tight - all the other reasons where not good ones. Tightened the cap and prayed that was all it was.... it took it a while to clear but was very thankful that was all it was. Of all the places and times for that to happen! Puhhh
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #55

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I know I won't be going to Colorado anytime soon with this combo LOL!

If I could swing it $$$ I would have a van.
Come on Gina. Where's your sense of adventure? Try the run EB on I70 from Silverthorne to the tunnel. Make that Jeep work! Or take a trip over Loveland Pass. You can check out your trailer taillights on some of the curves.

I'm sure those new brakes would love the challenge when you head down the other side and the Jeep can flex its muscles on the uphill side. Sounds like a fun way to spend a few hours.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #56

Registry
I took Jeep and 17ft Burro to Colorado once..and NOT in that area..it still didn't like it.

Did a quickie weigh in at Oregons ever so lovely and free scales today. The weight is not completely accurate as I only rolled over with the single axle and I had the WDH on.

3300#s
Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #57

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
You might try shifting to a lower gear before the grade and slowing down somewhat; that will make it easier on the transmission and it shouldn't get as hot.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes