Need a new axle on 13ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: jason
Trailer: 13' Scamp "pending"
Minnesota
Need a new axle on 13ft Scamp

I stopped at the Scamp factory a few weeks back and bought some stuff and had the guy look at the axle and i always thought it sat low, and sure enough he said it was about 2-3 in lower than it should be, he quoted me approx $425 or so for axle and install does this sound about right or is there another place to buy these axles it looks like a simple rubber torsion type and suggestions appreciated thanks

Old 10-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81scamp View Post
I stopped at the Scamp factory a few weeks back and bought some stuff and had the guy look at the axle and i always thought it sat low, and sure enough he said it was about 2-3 in lower than it should be, he quoted me approx $425 or so for axle and install does this sound about right or is there another place to buy these axles it looks like a simple rubber torsion type and suggestions appreciated thanks
The price quoted sounds fair.Assuming no strange tire wear....
Here's a brand new 1981 Scamp 13 for comparison....
Attached Thumbnails
gerber30057.jpg  

Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you have them BOLT it on then should it ever need to be replaced you can do it yourself in an afternoon for around $300. Now is the time to consider raising it a few inches should you want to put bigger tires on.

If they weld it on then that makes it almost impossible for a Do It Yourself installation.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #4

Name: jason
Trailer: 13' Scamp "pending"
Minnesota
axle

ya its welded on now from the factory, it bounces pretty bad now thats what made me look into the whole thing to begin with, theres a few trailer places around the town where i live i might look around for a axle from them and see what i can get for prices, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
If you have them BOLT it on then should it ever need to be replaced you can do it yourself in an afternoon for around $300. Now is the time to consider raising it a few inches should you want to put bigger tires on.

If they weld it on then that makes it almost impossible for a Do It Yourself installation.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
See what DEXTER axle would charge to sell and freight you one.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #6

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Jason
I worked the axel swap into a vacation and had Scamp replace the axel on my 13. They do weld the axel to the frame. No muss, no fuss, in and out in just over a couple hours. No research, no ordering, no shipping, no issues. Just enough time to go across the street and get a good meal then tour the factory. They scheduled two axel swaps a day at the time mine was swapped. Just make sure you make an appointment. If you decide to add brakes or change bolt patterns then you will have those issues to deal with. I highly recommend using Scamp do the swap if you want no headaches. If you block your trailer up during storage as they will suggest the new axel should last over another 20 years.
Eddie
Old 10-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #7

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81scamp View Post
The price sounds fair and Scamp certainly knows how to do it on your trailer. For the $50 you might save elsewhere, I would let them do it.

Rick G

Tags
axle, scamp