need adapter 13 scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hi evryone I am a neewbee and just buying my first scamp today a 1988 fixer upper and I am gonna pick up across state in a couple hours. I am an idiot because, I need to get an adapter for my 4pin flat to plug in to tow but I dont know how many pins the scamp is 7, 6 or what? I know its round? any fast help would be appriciated thanks!
BarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Hi evryone I am a neewbee and just buying my first scamp today a 1988 fixer upper and I am gonna pick up across state in a couple hours. I am an idiot because, I need to get an adapter for my 4pin flat to plug in to tow but I dont know how many pins the scamp is 7, 6 or what? I know its round? any fast help would be appriciated thanks!
I can check when I get home, but it will be 3+ hours. You may just want to call Scamp at 1-800-346-4962. Nice people, I'm sure they will give you the info you need.
Peter Linder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #3

good idea will do thanks Peter!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Barry,

If I had to guess, I'd say 7-pin round. That's what I've seen on most 13-ers. Be aware that adapting from 4-pin-flat car to 7-pin-round trailer is kind of going "backwards." so for every ten places that carry adapters, only one will have that one (ask me how I know).

There's nothing wrong with adapting that way (as long as you know that your trailer's brakes, refrigerator, and etc. won't work while you're towing -- and you probably don't even have trailer brakes but I'm just saying), it's just that most people don't because it's "downgrading." That is, usually larger trailers with a 7-pin have brakes, and so most people would also have a 7-pin on their vehicle.

When I picked up my Boler I was faced with this same problem and I couldn't find the proper adapter anywhere (in Winnipeg). Luckily the counter person at Canadian Tire was a trailer person herself, and knew what I needed and directed me to a hitch place that made me one up in about 20 minutes ($17 Canadian).

Since then, I have found an adapter at Wal-Mart (although they are still rarer than the usual ones), so it is possible. Just don't be surprised when most of them go "the other way."

Congrats on your new Scamp!! Have fun bringing her home!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the great advice I did find out from Scamp its a 6 pin and a trailer supply had one whick was great! Just got her home about a 150 mile ride and no problems other that the fridge coming out. It's a replace 110 and aparently not secured...But what a great pullin trailer. Now all the fun stuff begins. a lot to fix...Actually I am just going to do a couple of quick things first so we can actually camp this weekend.

Tags
scamp