Need advice on vintage tow vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Need advice on vintage tow vehicle

I'm hoping some of you car experts can advise me on the viability of a '64 Ford Ranchero truck that I'm looking at. I would like to primarily use it as a tow vehicle for my '77 13' Scamp. Below is a picture of the truck. It has a 302 V8 engine, is automatic and weighs less than 3000 lbs. The truck has a tow hitch but current owner's never towed with it. It also has a tonneau cover on the bed which would help I suppose with gas mileage. I won't be traveling more than a couple of hundred miles from home.
Do you think it would pull the weight of my iddy-biddy Scamp? What kind of mileage do you think I'd get? I don't expect it would be great, but since the truck is so small, I just don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
$T2eC16N,!zcE9s4g0-ZUBRLpDtfjyw~~60_3[1].jpg   $T2eC16F,!yUE9s6NEHHDBRLpDv8L3!~~60_3[1].jpg  

Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium
You will have NO problems towing your trailer. In 200 I towed across Canada twice using a 54 Mercury. there were cars on that tour with 4 an 6 Cyl engines, no issues. One fellow has done it twice using his 46 Chev. With a 302 it will be a dream. One thing to do is install brakes on your trailer. It will cost you $120 in parts, but you will never regret it. Also be sure to install a breakaway switch hooked to your RV battery.

Enjoy

Brian from Alberta
Brian Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I have a '65 Falcon wagon with a hitch but haven't done much towing with it...did you know that Ford actually advertised that whole line of cars as " compacts"???

I hear that the nose-up aspect of the early Rancheros is a bit of a problem when towing, and that they were more or less "tow limited" to about a thousand pounds. It might be worth a try, though, if the Scamp has brakes and doesn't weigh more than half the Ranchero's weight.

Here's a link to a discussion per towing with a '67. Link

Good luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
That would make a nice TUG. Got the HP to tow for sure, but would check with your Insurance Company and see what they say before buying it. There have been a few threads on here about towing with Vintage cars. I have seen some nice Vintage cars and trucks towing Vintage campers , but some say they have problems with the Insurance Company.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
It's too bad that's the shortest wheelbase of all the Ford Ranchero versions, and has a long rear overhang, which is a bad combination for stability, rear axle load, and unloading the front axle (thus Francesca's comment about a nose-up aspect). Trailer tongue weight would need to be kept low, but this vehicle does have the wheelbase of a mid-sized (larger than compact) modern SUV, and lots of engine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I would have a hard time believing that would care about the scamp. At worst, the suspension might be light, but that's a fairly easy fix.

As for mileage out of a carbed 302, not much. I would guess 11-14 towing, if you do it at the speed most do.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
SWEEET!!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As Jared mentioned, MPG's weren't a strong point (relative to 2013 anyway) in 1964 and you won't do all that well towing. Ferget about the bed cover helping MPG's that was all hype that has been disproven for years. If it helped as much as .3 MPG every new p/u would have one from the factory

Besides that, it would look a lot better towing a matching 1973 Hunter Compact-II. It looks vintage, has matching square lines, and is a lot lighter. If you would like to donate the Ranchero to Moi, I will be happy to send pics of them together

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #9

Registry
Well, I haven't found any tow specs, but this Real True Documentary shows us that the 1963 Ford Ranchero is capable of carrying away a fullsized 1963 Lincoln in its bed.

Provided it's suitably..."prepared", of course!

Francesca
Old 04-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Johnson View Post
. It will cost you $120 in parts, but you will never regret it.
Only if his old Scamp has the an axle on it that allows for brakes to be mounted most of the old 13's dont - only why to mount brakes is to replace the axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Only if his old Scamp has the an axle on it that allows for brakes to be mounted most of the old 13's dont - only why to mount brakes is to replace the axle.
Good call. It would be my preference to scrap an old axle anyway, although I know it works fine for some.

I would rather have new suspension, new brakes, with modern, easier replaced parts, bigger brakes, and better wheel/tire selection.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #12

California
Registry
Thanks for the info everyone. I had hoped it would be more positive though for a tow vehicle. But I'd rather know now than after I bought it and it didn't work out. I would love to go ahead and try it though, but don't want to take any safety risks.

Bob, is there no end to what favors you will do for a fellow fiberglasser? So kind of you to offer to accept such a donation. I'll have to think about it though.

Francesca, that '65 wagon was really a cutie. Interesting info about the nose up issue. I'm going to look into that some more.

If anyone else has info about the Ranchero, I'd like to hear it. Its definitely something that I would love to have if it could work for me.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #13

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Good point Carol. I'm taking the Scamp into have the bearing repacked and plan to inquire about the axle and brakes at that time. I definitely would like to add the brakes and it would be an easy decision if he says the axle needs replacing. If not, and brakes can be added I plan to add them. If they can't, I'll probably wait a while on adding the brakes since it towes and brakes so effortlessly with my current TV.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it were mine I would tow with it especially with a 13.
As for the Ranchero if it were mine I would add an Early Mustang disc brake kit avalible from most Mustang parts suppliers. A large tranny cooler, and air shocks in the back to adjust ride heigth for when your towing. The lack of air conditioning, powersteering, power disc brakes are the only down fall. These can all be added if you want to throw money at it. Put the truck on a lift and check the Ranchero for rust as Fords rust protection in the early days sucked.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #15

Registry
Speaking of parts:

I've said this before, but since this is a Falcon-based vehicle very much like mine, I'll say it again:

The main thing that keeps mine at home is the lack of crash protection in the cockpit. I did install shoulder harnesses, but I just can't get past the fear of that non-breakaway steering column impaling me in a frontend collision.

Call me a weenie, but there you have it!

Francesca
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #16

California
Registry
Steve, the price isn't bad so I wouldn't mind putting some money into it to make it a better TV. but as you point out there are multiple downsides to this Ranchero.

Francesca, all of these older vehicles lack the safety features of today's cars. I need this kind of reality check to help me make up my mind. Glad you brought this up.

Linda
Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #17

California
If your in fear of the steering collumn putting in a slip shaft isnt out of the question. This conversion is done all the time and isn't that expensive.
EZ Fit Shaft - Stainless EZ Fit Shaft: 10" Overall Length - 3" Slip
Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #18

California
Registry
Steve, I appreciate that you have actual solutions for issues that were raised. We go to a lot of Hot August Nights events which gets me drooling and subsequently searching for vintage wheels. I know these issues have been addressed by many of entusiasts, I just don't want to jump into something though that I'd later regret. This has been a good resource for fleshing out all the issues.
Linda
Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If your in fear of the steering collumn putting in a slip shaft isnt out of the question. This conversion is done all the time and isn't that expensive.
EZ Fit Shaft - Stainless EZ Fit Shaft: 10" Overall Length - 3" Slip

I'll be darned- I didn't know that such a thing was possible. Thanks a million, Steve! And once you pointed that out, I looked a little further and found this method of performing a "transplant" using steering columns from later Ford vehicles.

I might have to rethink the mothballing of the old girl after all...

...........Francesca
Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #20

California
I only bring this up because you can have your cake and eat it too if your willing to pay for it. Also beacuse I have had old Fords all my life they are dear to my heart.