Need Help Confirming Payload/Tow Capacity #'s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Looking While I Continue to Work
North Carolina
Need Help Confirming Payload/Tow Capacity #'s

Hi everyone and thank you for your help.

I'm in the process of purchasing a TV and want to run some numbers by you.

In the next year, I will be purchasing either a
19' Scamp fiver (GVWR Approximate 2000-2400, 3500-pound torsion axle
Hitch weight 400 pounds)
Escape 5.0 TA (GVWR 5500, Hitch Weight 600 lbs, Axle Weight 3285 lbs, Total Dry W 3885 lbs)

Proposed TV: 2016 Toyota Tundra Limited 4WD- Double Cab-6.5' Bed
5.7L V8 DOHC 32v FFV Engine
1585# Maximum Payload
GVWR: 7100 lbs
4.30 Axle Ratio
Class IV Towing Equipment -Harness Hitch Brake Controller and Trailer Sway Control
Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive
Transmission: Electronic 6-Speed Automatic w/OD -inc: intelligence (ECT-i) sequential shift mode uphill/downhill shift logic and TOW/HAUL mode

It looks good but I want to make sure it performs well when I hook up my fiver. Thanks for looking!
CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Someone at the rally last week had a late model Tundra pulling an Escape 5.0 TA and was really happy with the combination. He installed an Anderson hitch on his, but set it up so that instead of mounting rails across the bed, it connects to a goosneck coupler in the bed that allows unobstructed bed use when removed.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Did the payload numbers you listed come from the sticker on the vehicle or off some chart on the internet ?
The internet numbers are useless IMHO

IE . The payload numbers for my truck from the internet were over 1600 lbs
The actual payload numbers from the vehicle sticker was 1300 lbs
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #4

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Looking While I Continue to Work
North Carolina
[QUOTE=steve dunham;736389]Did the payload numbers you listed come from the sticker on the vehicle or off some chart on the internet ?
The internet numbers are useless IMHO]

Yes, these were the numbers the dealer has with the vehicle. Since I don't have my TT yet I'm concerned that payload number will be tight.
CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1. Have them send you a picture of the actual payload sticker.

2. Forget dry weights. Focus on real weights from the weights in the real world thread. eTrailer says use 20% of actual weight for pin weight.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
if you get that rig and the truck feels a bit tail heavy when loaded, I highly recommend Firestone RideRite airbags, these go between the rear axle and the frame... when you're not towing, you leave them at about 5psi, and when loaded, you pump enough air into them so your rear axle is at the same height it was unloaded (I measure from top of tire to edge of wheel well directly above it). In my case, it took 35-40 PSI for my Tacoma to ride level when heavily loaded with gear + an escape 21.

you can use a portable inflator like a Viair, or a bicycle pump, or get a compressor system mounted under the truck, with dashboard controls for a few $100 more.. I was using a Viair, but when I airbag my 'new' F250, I'll be getting the integral compressor.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Cheryl,

Escape has a frequently-asked-questions page that makes an effort to address the actual loaded weights you might expect to tow (What tow vehicle is needed to pull an Escape?). Here's a link:

Frequently Asked Questions

However, they do not do a good job of addressing the tongue and pin weight increases which occur when options are added and the trailer is loaded.

The increase can be substantial with our 21 as we have a storage box forward, and there is a lot of storage space up front under the double bed. So, I manage the loading and monitor the tongue weight closely.

The 5.0 TA is a much different configuration, with generally less storage forward, so the increases may not be as significant as we experience with our 21. Perhaps more 5.0 TA owners will chime in with their perspectives on this issue.

The gross weight rating on the TA (GVWR) is 5,500 lbs. A rule-of-thumb 15% of that is 825 lbs, so it's something to be careful about checking.

Personally, I use the gross weight rating as my most significant point of comparison anymore. It's theoretically the maximum weight you should ever tow the trailer at.

In fairness, it doesn't seem that a lot of folks embrace this approach, but it's something you could take into consideration. It's also not much higher than Escape's estimate of 5,185 lbs, (which does not include the weight of every option you might order).

Finally, Steve and Bill have highlighted a couple of very important points. Sadly, some trucks are so payload-limited as to make their published towing capacities completely unobtainable, often by a wide margin.

This is the time to check everything to ensure that it meets your needs. Good luck on your adventure.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Cheryl,

Escape has a frequently-asked-questions page that makes an effort to address the actual loaded weights you might expect to tow (What tow vehicle is needed to pull an Escape?). Here's a link:

Frequently Asked Questions

However, they do not do a good job of addressing the tongue and pin weight increases which occur when options are added and the trailer is loaded.

The increase can be substantial with our 21 as we have a storage box forward, and there is a lot of storage space up front under the double bed. So, I manage the loading and monitor the tongue weight closely.

The 5.0 TA is a much different configuration, with generally less storage forward, so the increases may not be as significant as we experience with our 21. Perhaps more 5.0 TA owners will chime in with their perspectives on this issue.

The gross weight rating on the TA (GVWR) is 5,500 lbs. A rule-of-thumb 15% of that is 825 lbs, so it's something to be careful about checking.

Personally, I use the gross weight rating as my most significant point of comparison anymore. It's theoretically the maximum weight you should ever tow the trailer at.

In fairness, it doesn't seem that a lot of folks embrace this approach, but it's something you could take into consideration. It's also not much higher than Escape's estimate of 5,185 lbs, (which does not include the weight of every option you might order).

Finally, Steve and Bill have highlighted a couple of very important points. Sadly, some trucks are so payload-limited as to make their published towing capacities completely unobtainable, often by a wide margin.

This is the time to check everything to ensure that it meets your needs. Good luck on your adventure.
I too use the trailer’s gross weight rating for determining necessary payload in a tow vehicle .
We are currently towing a 21 ft SOB (GWR of 5000 lbs) with a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 liter V8 , 8 speed . The truck is at or over its ‘ rated limits and if all goes as planned will be replaced shortly .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote