Need help deciding on tow vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot
Tennessee
Need help deciding on tow vehicle

I'm looking for an SUV to purchase in anticipation of buying a 21 ft. Bigfoot trailer. It will weigh about 7000 lbs loaded. I plan to RV fulltime and I've read on this site that the TV should be able to handle 20 percent more than the trailer weight. I have very few options even if I look at TV's with max tow ratings of 8400 lbs. Is 8400 lbs adequate or is it cutting it too close?. I'm looking at 2015 Ford expedition(max 9100lbs) or GMA Yukon(max 8400lbs) Does anyone have input on these vehicles or recommendations for any others? Any comments will be appreciated.

Also, if anyone plans to sell their 25B21RB Bigfoot before the end of the year, please contact me. Thanks.
Jane H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Crew Cab Pickup. Check the models and the tow raitings.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Maybe the Expedition with tow package. My cousin in Washington has this setup for towing a 34 ft Dutchman, heavy. He says it does well.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Consider crew cab pickup trucks. Just add a fiberglass cap to the truck.
By looking at trucks you will increase your towing capacity.
Don't expect any high gas mileage. Take the extra time to read the Consumer Reports test results for all trucks. Do not rely on commercial publications as they tend to pander to their advertisers. Get the true road ready weight for the trailer you select and try to add 10% to the tow package maximum weight rating.
Remember the weight of the passengers and cargo of the truck reduces the tow rating. Have weight distribution and sway control plus trailer brakes set up by a professional and be a happy camper.

Happy safe camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #5

Tennessee
Thanks, everyone. I'll check it out.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #6

Name: BigT
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Andy Tailer of Can Am Rv in London Ontario is an expert on tow vehicles. You might want to drop him a line or call him. We have used him twice with hitch modifications and the work was excellent. He writes articles in some RV magazines about tow vehicles and keeps sample tow vehicles on his lot for people to try. As well, he can recommend the appropriate tires and hitches for most vehicles.
All the Best,
BigT
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Not likely that Jane H will be driving up to London Ontario from Tennessee to look at tow vehicles. No shortage of professional RV dealers in U.S. To assist in the setup of all required equipment.

In the end doing it right for safe travel is paramount. It seems evident that Jane H is new at this travel trailer endeavor...she needs local assistance.
I am one who feels that having a dealer network, especially for first time buyers, is very important. IMHO that is the major shortfall in buying direct without a local dealership to supply advise and service. There is no substitute for professional guidance when setting up trailer towing for the first timers.

Happy Safe Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: Skamper Pop-Up
California
Here's a resource you may wish to consider:

http://www.tfltruck.com/

And they have a tow test called the "Ike Gauntlet":

TFLtruck - Hall of Ike Gauntlet - Truck News, Views and Real World Reviews

Hope you find it informative and useful.
(And I'm not associated with them in any way.)

Good Luck,
Paul
Paul_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
True; but Andy might have articles she might want to read and he is just an email or telephone call away.
Take care,
Big T
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #10

Tennessee
Thanks. I appreciate all the advice.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #11

Nova Scotia
Hi Jane;
I am trying to answer your last message but I am having trouble figuring out how to do so. I have total confidence in Andy Taylor's reply. Do you already have a Durango or is he suggesting you need to buy one?
BigT