Need help with 7 blade wiring kit? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Need help with 7 blade wiring kit?

I had to replace my wiring kit as my old one had a corroded pin. It adapts from a 7 blade to a 4 pin. All of the lights work except for the back-up lights on the trailer. The wire comes out of the back of the unit but where do I connect it on the tow vehicle? This is the unit on the tow vehicle, not the trailer. The unit I bought was a Hopkins model #47185 vehicle wiring kit. Ant help would be appreciated. Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder.
Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The middle terminal of the 7-Pin connector is used for the back up lights. Most folks don't even hook them up.
Attached Thumbnails
Connector Pin Out.gif  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
On the Ranger, you can simply scotchlock a wire to the backup light wire at the back of the truck and it will work just fine.

Some newer Tow Vehicles will not tolerate this approach and you might need to use a relay or a manual switch directly off the battery.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
On the Ranger, you can simply scotchlock a wire to the backup light wire at the back of the truck and it will work just fine.

Some newer Tow Vehicles will not tolerate this approach and you might need to use a relay or a manual switch directly off the battery.
Those Scotch Locks are the worst things they ever invented for wiring. They will allow corrosion into the wire under the insulation penetration, especially where they would be exposed to the elements, such as beneath a vehicle. Do it right and you won't have to do it over.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Those Scotch Locks are the worst things they ever invented for wiring. They will allow corrosion into the wire under the insulation penetration, especially where they would be exposed to the elements, such as beneath a vehicle. Do it right and you won't have to do it over.
So you say...
Check the wiring on your Casita.

They have been used successfully for many decades.
Use them right and you won't have to do it over!
Old 06-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
So you say...
Check the wiring on your Casita.

They have been used successfully for many decades.
Use them right and you won't have to do it over!
I have floyd,
Guess what? I don't have any of them any more. I got rid of them all. Sorry to disillusion you, but feel free to use them if you like them. No sweat to me.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:04 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I have floyd,
Guess what? I don't have any of them any more. I got rid of them all. Sorry to disillusion you, but feel free to use them if you like them. No sweat to me.
No need to apologize, nothing you have said has disillusioned me in the least. I have used them where appropriate for many years and will continue to do so.
No connector is perfect, recently many OEMs have dropped solder and shrink for repairs in favor of scotchlocks and crimp connectors.
Most Fiberglass trailer makers have used them extensively in manufacturing for decades.
You of course do not need anyone's permission to eschew the use of any product now extant.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #8

Registry
I never said that they weren't heavily used in many applications, only that I didn't care for them, and that I consider them an inferior wiring connector. Perhaps, most overlooked, is that "industry" is switching to them in lieu of soldering/heat shrinking connections, most probably attributable to a substantial savings of both time and money in assembly and mass production. I personally still don't feel that they are good connectors, but I will agree to disagree with you on the matter and leave it at that. YMMV
Happy Camping
Old 06-14-2015, 02:00 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
I had to replace my wiring kit as my old one had a corroded pin. It adapts from a 7 blade to a 4 pin. All of the lights work except for the back-up lights on the trailer. The wire comes out of the back of the unit but where do I connect it on the tow vehicle? This is the unit on the tow vehicle, not the trailer. The unit I bought was a Hopkins model #47185 vehicle wiring kit. Ant help would be appreciated. Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder.
Don, just have to ask, did the back up lights work at any time with the old wiring or is this something new after the replacement and do you really use them? Rangers never had a "plug and play" wiring set up until the last year of US sales in 2011. I've got a 2002 and had to start under the hood to add my controller and trailer power. As was stated, you can use a Scotch Lock to tie into the back up lights on the truck to light up the trailer lights as it is an easy connection. Is it good or bad to do? Well, I've had over a hundred vehicles over the years and can't say I've ever had a problem because of a Scotch Lock but I don't live in an area with snow, salt or much rain, think desert . But when I've had to pick power off a wire I strip about an inch of plastic off the wire, fold it over and use a butt slice connecter, wrapping it in black tape for weather if needed, to transfer the power. Soldering connections, yup, done that too but it depended on the situation. A bad solder joint can loose continuity just as easily as a butt slice or Scotch Lock connection. Bottom line, we're not sending our eggs to the Moon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
3M makes a scotchlok approved for splicing wires when used for direct burial (IE underground splices). I have used them on many occasions for splicing wires used for street lighting .Hard to believe they work just fine buried in the dirt but fail inside a dry trailer. Years ago we used standard 3M
Scotchloks (wirenuts) for underground splices by simply filling the scotchlok after making the splice with 3M sealant . 3M products work as advertised,
if you install them according to their instructions
Floyd evidently knows how to read and follow instructions .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
No need to apologize, nothing you have said has disillusioned me in the least. I have used them where appropriate for many years and will continue to do so.
No connector is perfect, recently many OEMs have dropped solder and shrink for repairs in favor of scotchlocks and crimp connectors.
Most Fiberglass trailer makers have used them extensively in manufacturing for decades.
You of course do not need anyone's permission to eschew the use of any product now extant.
Hey Floyd. Did I ever tell you my experience with said Scotchlock in our Scamp? While trying to track down the cause of low voltage for 12 v at the fridge, I found a connection inside the front closet - where the wires come in from the front battery - that was HOT to touch. Obviously a point of high resistance. The Scotchlock may have not been crimped properly, but it only provides a very small area of contact with the stranded wires. Anyway, I got rid of it, soldered and taped the splice. No more hot wires!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #12

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Thank you all for your information. I posted this thread last night. This morning when Karen and I were on our morning walk, I ran into someone that I know that does wiring work and he suggested that I not bother wiring the back-up wire as most trailers don't use them. The first wiring harness did not have the back-up wire connected. So I won't bother wiring it. Thank you all again.
Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Getting ready to pick up our new to us 1993 16' Scamp and we need to make sure we have the right connections for wiring harness to our tow vehicle, 2013 Jeep with 4 pin connector. Can anyone advise if we will need a converter or how to make the connection to the Scamp?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #14

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
In a pinch, one of this type adaptor kit is a good solution. Your local Tractor Supply Company store.
Reese Towpower® Dual Port / 4-Flat to 4-Flat and 7-Way Round Blade

Remember, the Scamp probably has the male end, so your Tow Vehicle needs the female end, a 7 blade female. You can plug your 4 flat into this unit and it will run your lights, running lights and brake lights on the Scamp.

Pretty cool, except for one thing. You probably won't or don't have your brake controller installed yet? One of the wires on this kit is intended to run a line up to your brake controller. Another line is intended to run a line up to your battery and thus charge your camper battery while running down the road.

The charging connection is not required and never will be unless you desire it. The brake controller is another matter. That is sensible and you may not have prepared for that.

Etrailer.com has video of hooking up this same adaptor. Great educational videos on that site and I highly recommend them. You don't have time to order this same adaptor from them, but that's fine. The videos will still be of great help to you. They sell a mulitude of brake controllers and have great video instructions on installation. Or, just pay a local shop to install one for you.

Meanwhile, just remember, you will not be able to activate the trailer brakes JUST by plugging in the TSC sourced Reese adaptor.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You need to contact the seller and find out what connector the trailer currently has and have a matching connector installed on your Jeep. If it has a 7 blade connector you can have a 7 blade connector installed that has a pigtail that your current 4 pin will connect into.
If you have a working 4 pin you usually don't need a converter but, if it has brakes, you will need to look into brakes and a controller in the near future as well as a charging line.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #16

Michigan
Adapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole Vehicle End Trailer Connector Tow Ready Wiring 30717

This version is a bit simplier (no bracket, etc) but you get the idea. On this page are a couple of videos showing how to install. It's flat out plug 'N play. 30 seconds.

But again, you can see those unused wires. Those are intended for your brake controller and charging system leads. But for a quick and easy 4 way to 7 way, these get the job done. If you decide to drag the 16 home from the Grand Rapids area back to the BlueGrass, take it really, really cool as you'll be braking the entire rig off your TV brakes.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
4 pin connection to the tow vehicle and back up lights no work. 4 pins don't allow enough connections. 1 pin is for negative power or miscall ground. 1 pin for tail lights. 1 pin for left turn signal and brake. 1 pin for right turn signal and brake. None left that's all four.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:28 AM   #18

Kentucky
Registry
slow and easy wins the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
Adapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole Vehicle End Trailer Connector Tow Ready Wiring 30717

This version is a bit simplier (no bracket, etc) but you get the idea. On this page are a couple of videos showing how to install. It's flat out plug 'N play. 30 seconds.

But again, you can see those unused wires. Those are intended for your brake controller and charging system leads. But for a quick and easy 4 way to 7 way, these get the job done. If you decide to drag the 16 home from the Grand Rapids area back to the BlueGrass, take it really, really cool as you'll be braking the entire rig off your TV brakes.
bpfick: Actually, I towed our horse trailer for several years without brakes and have lots of practice being extra careful reading traffic patterns and adjusting stopping distances. I never wanted to dump my horses on the floor like I've seen some drivers do. It's my plan to be very careful allowing lots of room for me at lights and signs.

Of course, I will expect surprises but I feel good about this trip and am pleased to say that if I have to stop, I already have a place to rest; hahaha. This is so cool.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. Hope to be back late Saturday evening or mid-day Sunday with our new Scamp.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #19

Kentucky
Registry
I've contacted the seller to find out that the wiring from the trailer is 4-pin on this 1993 Scamp posted on Craigslist. The ad doesn't mention brakes and I have to wonder if it has only four wires is this early model came without brakes, hence the four wire plug. 1993 Scamp RV-16 ft
Old 11-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #20

Michigan
Over the years, all kinds of hacks happen to these old trailers. If you've solid, working lights to bring it on home, with great care and mature driving, that's about all you can do.

Once home, all things are possible. I wouldn't personally tow stuff over 1500 lbs without brakes. I've had even a loaded utility trailer, 4x8, just about push me through an intersection during a quicker than expected stop. Just saying. Trailer brakers when a loaded 16 is likely 2500 pounds is just plain wise. You'll get it all taken care of once you're home, I'm sure.