Need help with Boler hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Looking at the pics I can see that there appears to be a part missing. Look at the pic from the bottom of the hitch. I can see a hole with a pattern from a nut and washer that appears to be missing. I believe that "Was" the tension adjusting nut and also kept the bottom part from sliding back off of the bottom of the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
I agree withBob, the adjustment nut is missing. From what I can see there is no bolt for the adj nut to go on.
Good spotting, Bob. I agree that a bolt and nut are missing, but it is not an adjustment device or related to tension; there is no adjustment in a typical yoke-type coupler.

In the service manuals linked in Bob's A Ton of Atwood Service Information topic, the parts kit for these couplers is shown. The (missing) bolt through a slot which holds the ball clamp in the coupler while allowing it to slide into engagement is shown, but unfortunately is not part of the kit (neither is the ball clamp - the "jaw"- itself).

I would just replace the bolt and the self-locking nut which must be on the bottom of it, but replacing the whole coupler works, too. It's too bad some previous owner took out this bolt from what would otherwise be a perfectly functional coupler, perhaps in a misguided effort to adjust it. People who don't understand what they are doing should really ask, rather than randomly hacking.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #22

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I had this coupler on my horse trailers. Not sure about a Boler but I would spray it down with WD40 inside the upper and outer area and the sleeve should move freely around the outer lip. When in the down position there should be a hole that is in the release handle where a pin/lock can go through so that the slidding lip (for the lack of a better word) wont come up. If you connect to your ball and then look underneath with a flashlight the curved lip of the hitch should engage and lock under the curve of the ball stem. It should not be anywhere up on the rounded area of the ball with the ball clip lip. I think I have a picture that I will post in about 5 min that will show it.
This shows how it engages about 4min into the video
How To Tow a Trailer Video | etrailer.com
Ours is factory and is the lever but has a hole for a pin or lock this is law in our area?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #23

Ontario
Registry
We us a 2" ball
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #24

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by desy View Post
We bought our Boler a few months back, and have it at a point where we're going to take a weekend camp in it, about 2 hours from where we live. To this point we've only really towed it home, and before we go I would like to make sure that we can trust that our hitch is secure.

I'm attaching some photos of the hitch. Not sure if this is the standard original hitch for the Boler, but hope it looks familiar to some of you. What I'm trying to figure out is whether the hitch is secure as it is, or whether I should find some way to lock the hitch down to make sure it's secure? If I do need to lock it down somehow to make it secure, hoping someone can offer a solution for that, because I can't figure out a way to jury-rig anything.
Our looks like yours but has extra parts such as a clip at the back for locking and we use a 2" ball
Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Ours is factory and is the lever but has a hole for a pin or lock this is law in our area?
No, I would be astounded if there was a law anywhere requiring any specific locking feature. If anyone knows of such as regulation, please post a link to it. Legally, you could probably tie your trailer to your hitch with rope if it were strong enough.

Some later Atwood yoke-style couplers have a different lever configuration which can be locked, but as mentioned earlier even the original design can be locked with a padlock which prevents the yoke from moving back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #26

Name: Don
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
British Columbia
Bought a new coupler, having it welded on this week, attaching a couple of photos of the coupler on the ball, assuming this looks as it should, i.e. the clamp is holding around the ball in the right way?
Attached Thumbnails
hitch1.jpg   hitch2.jpg  

desy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
looks upside down to me.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #28

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Now that hitch has the nut for adjustment .
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #29

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
And a lock hole in the latch.

Tags
boler