Need help with Dexter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1978 Scamp
Missouri
Need help with Dexter

Hi,
I am trying to order a replacement axle from Dexter and getting nowhere. i have the measurements and can fill in all of the blanks on their ordering guide, but I have run into real problems as soon as I mentioned that I wanted the axle in the leading arm configuration. I have been exchanging emails with a guy for about 3 weeks now (have also spoken on the phone) but he claims they have no records of building an axle this way.

Does anyone out there who has done an axle replacement in the last couple of years have a name over at Dexter I could refer him to, or speak with myself? I am kind of anxious to get this process moving. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Read this thread, it seems Dexter no longer makes a leading arm but you can "spin" it around. It's in installment #5.

Hope this helps
Joe
13 Scamp Axle Replacement Story | Scamp Owners International
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Missouri
I had read that, but in talking to the first rep at Dexter they said "no" and how it would cause stress and void the warranty blah blah. I had read in one thread that these axles have no hub angles that would be affected so it was ok to spin/flip them, but I wanted to be certain...
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
What Warranty it is way old now

[QUOTE=Rick D.;557817]I had read that, but in talking to the first rep at Dexter they said "no" and how it would cause stress and void the warranty blah blah. I had read in one thread that these axles have no hub angles that would be affected so it was ok to spin/flip them, but I wanted to be certain...[/QUOTE

::: what warranty it is a 1978 Model about 37 years old?
Stude]
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Would it be possible to change the mounting on your trailer to use a trailing arm axle ? There must be a good reason that a leading arm axle is no longer available.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #6

Missouri
::: what warranty it is a 1978 Model about 37 years old?
Stude][/QUOTE]

I was referring to the one on the new axle...that ship has definitely sailed on the trailer.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

Missouri
I have definitely thought about converting to leading arm and maybe that is the way I should go, but I was hoping to keep the installation relatively simple by keeping the original setup that Scamp (and Boler) used for 25+ years.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D. View Post
Hi,
but he claims they have no records of building an axle this way.
They may not have been built that way, but many were used that way.

I've switched from leading to trailing arm. It is a challenge getting all the measurements right. But it can be done.

If you can wrap your head around what I try to explain in this thread then go for it. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post168305 I spent hundreds of hours crawling under just about every 13' scamp, boler and the like while reading everything I could find on axles.

When it came down to ordering what I wanted, the axle shop that tries to make sure you ordering the right thing said I was on my own and they would take no responsibility. The same thing from the guy who welded it on for me and he builds trailers from scratch.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...do a search for flexi-ride axles...about a franklin(orso) more than a dex, BUT, you can take the arms off and set them however you want........
madjack
http://www.ucfamerica.com/flexiride.html
Flexiride Rubber Torsion Axles

p.s. used these on the first teardrop I built and LOVED IT...used the Dex on my second build to save a few bucks and while it worked fine,I would swap and pay the extra coinage...happily...mj

p.p.s. call 'em and ask about completely flopping the arms...remember, when doing so, you will be pushing your wheel/tire instead of pulling it...mj
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack View Post
...do a search for flexi-ride axles...about a franklin(orso) more than a dex, BUT, you can take the arms off and set them however you want........
madjack
http://www.ucfamerica.com/flexiride.html
[URL="http://www.trailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm"]Flexiride Rubber Torsion Axles

p.p.s. call 'em and ask about completely flopping the arms...remember, when doing so, you will be pushing your wheel/tire instead of pulling it...mj
Also when using a trailing arm axle in a leading arm configuration you will have to swap the brakes to the opposite sides (left side brake is to be mounted on the right side...) How about calling Scamp Factory and have them have the axle shipped directly to you from Dexter.
Dave & Paual
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote