Need help with P3 Brake control - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
I just got a P3 and wired to the Tundra for a trip to Florida yesterday.
The Manual I found for it say to adjust the power buttons to 6 to start testing and turn up or down as needed to get brake lock-up and adjust from there.

My question is....When I press the power buttons all I see on the display s the Voltage expessed in volts but I never see the numerical adjustment as I only get the voltage reading?

Any ideas?

The manual was not in the box with the control and I am going from what I found on the net.

Ed
__________________

__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bryan L.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 304
Just press the up arrow until it gets to 6.0 to start with and you drive it and test it and then keep adjusting it from that point based on your results. The voltage reading is what you are adjusting. At rest, it will always be zero and you are adjusting for the "maximum" voltage that is necessary to stop your trailer. When you put the manual lever all the way to the left, it will give you your maximum voltage that is being applied. Hope that helps.
__________________

__________________
"The babbling that I brook." - Pink Floyd

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
FWIW

When I got my new Scamp I could not get the P3 to make the brakes work like the manual said.
I got it the best I could and started driving. Later that day I tried the manual switch and locked up the brakes.

I then readjusted the controller and they worked fine since then.

Bill K
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Just press the up arrow until it gets to 6.0 to start with and you drive it and test it and then keep adjusting it from that point based on your results. The voltage reading is what you are adjusting. At rest, it will always be zero and you are adjusting for the "maximum" voltage that is necessary to stop your trailer. When you put the manual lever all the way to the left, it will give you your maximum voltage that is being applied. Hope that helps.
What I mean is that I never get to adjust the numbers as yo suggest.All I see when I adjust the power buttons is a Voltage reading,it never shows anything else while adjusting?

I certainly read exactly what you suggest in the manual but again mine only displays the voltage when I press the buttons.

Do I just misunderstand what I am reading?
Am I supposed to see the Voltage only while adjusting and then only see the other numbers while actualy applying the brakes?


Also it does seem to work and I am certainly getting trailer brake action from it,I just can not understand the adjustment without seeing anything but the Voltage?

Thanks

Ed
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joe MacDonald's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 753
from the manual:
Once the control has been securely mounted, it is necessary to set the power needed to stop the trailer during a braking event.
1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.
2. With engine running set power (with Power Buttons) to indicate 6.0
3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved surface at 25 mph and fully apply Manual Knob.
✓ If trailer brakes lock up:
❑ Turn power down using Power Buttons.
✓ If braking was not sufficient:
❑ Turn power up using Power Buttons.
4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as to achieve maximum braking power.
5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking is
initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch.
When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking will cease.
Boost Setting
The boost button was designed to allow a more aggressive setting for your trailer brakes and is available in three levels - B1, B2, B3.
Each incremental boost setting increases the sensitivity of the P3s inertial sensor,
enhancing the participation of the trailer brakes during a braking event.
__________________
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
from the manual:
Once the control has been securely mounted, it is necessary to set the power needed to stop the trailer during a braking event.
1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.
2. With engine running set power (with Power Buttons) to indicate 6.0
3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved surface at 25 mph and fully apply Manual Knob.
✓ If trailer brakes lock up:
❑ Turn power down using Power Buttons.
✓ If braking was not sufficient:
❑ Turn power up using Power Buttons.
4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as to achieve maximum braking power.
5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking is
initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch.
When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking will cease.
Boost Setting
The boost button was designed to allow a more aggressive setting for your trailer brakes and is available in three levels - B1, B2, B3.
Each incremental boost setting increases the sensitivity of the P3s inertial sensor,
enhancing the participation of the trailer brakes during a braking event.
Thanks for the quote,I know what it says but I am telling you that I do not see the readout it says to follow.
I see only a voltage readout expressed in volts I never see just numbers to adjust to 6 as it says.
It makes it impossible to begin the setup process when I do not have the ability to do the first step?

Thanks
Ed
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
My question is....When I press the power buttons all I see on the display is the [b]Voltage expressed in volts but I never see the numerical adjustment as I only get the [b]voltage reading?
Ed:
Numerical Adjustment [b]= Voltage Reading

Range is 0.0 to 13 [b]volts. (above 9.9 the reading is in whole volts due to having only 2 digits in the readout) This is an indication of voltage output to the electric brakes. What you are doing with this adjustment is setting the Output Voltage to a mid-range reading of [b]6.0 volts DC as a starting point. The controller works by varying the output voltage to the brakes in proportion to the pressure you apply to your brake pedal. Slowing from 60 mph to 50 mph using the brakes may only send 1.5 or 2.1 volts to the brake magnets. A panic stop standing on the brake pedal with all your effort sends 12 or 13 volts to the brake magnet.
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
If it will not work either call or e-mail the company. I understand they are very easy to work with.

Bill K

Quote:
Thanks for the quote,I know what it says but I am telling you that I do not see the readout it says to follow.
I see only a voltage readout expressed in volts I never see just numbers to adjust to 6 as it says.
It makes it impossible to begin the setup process when I do not have the ability to do the first step?

Thanks
Ed
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Ed,
Connect your trailer and wiring,
Start your vehicle and leave it in park (or if standard neutral with parking brake on)
The P3 should run through a quick self test
Then push either the up or down arrow to the left of the screen a few times
the numerical values should be your voltage readings as others have indicated and should increase or decrease as you press the appropriate arrow.

post what you see when you push the arrows
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Fred
If what you say is the case then that does make some sense.
The thing is that the look of the numbers(font,etc.)is completely different when displaying the voltage and the output numbers they show in the manual.
Also why don't they just say adjust the output voltage to 6 volts to begin the setup which would make it simple to understand?

Roy
Like I keep saying,it does not appear to be the same reading when I start to adjust.It goes from display of output on some random scale before I push the buttons and it is the same scale as when braking to immediately show voltage once I push a button.

I am working here out of town so I can not try this right now but I will call the company and ask them too.Maybe I just need to reset the thing and see if the display changes?

Thanks
Ed
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bryan L.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 304
Mine is less than six months old so we should have the same features. I was getting ready to take my trailer back to storage after a trip to South Dakota and shot this video while I was at it. I hope it helps clear things up a bit. Excuse my discolored thumb nail. Darn miracle ladders!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R_-Gt...feat=directlink
__________________
"The babbling that I brook." - Pink Floyd

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joe MacDonald's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 753
Sorry Ed, I was thinking of my prodigy, not the p3, now I know why you're numbers were different.
Joe
__________________
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bryan L.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 304
Ed, what ever happened with this? Did you get it figured out? Was the unit defective. Inquiring minds want to know!
__________________

__________________
"The babbling that I brook." - Pink Floyd

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which brake control 04 Casita Bailey Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 4 04-08-2008 03:58 PM
Brake Control Wiring Help Needed Gail Shook Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 06-07-2007 07:02 AM
Brake control(again) TonyB Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 04-29-2007 07:36 PM
For Sale Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Control Carl S Classified Archives 2 11-29-2005 11:04 AM
Which brake control 04 Casita Bailey Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.