Need new axle, what brand? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Certainly a leaking valve is a concern. We've used them for about a month now without any leaks. Hopefully if they start to leak the monitor will catch it. I will keep my eye on it.

We have made two modifications to the installation. First we added a plastic guard that slips over the valve stem on the Honda because the stem comes close to the tire's rim. Second on the trailer we have added Lexal caulking between the valve stem and rim to reduce the possibility of valve stem vibration with the extra weight on the end of the valve stem.

Thanks for your thoughts.
You really like that Lexal caulking don't you Norm ?
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lexal

You know the phrase "Love the girl you're with..." It's what I have so I used it. It seems to stick and perform the function of reducing potential vibration.

I did use it to install the thru roof wires for the Solar Panels and no leaks so far.

Safe and loving travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Seems that my experiences with tire failure is always on a weekend in some obscure place.

I lost two 205-70 x 13's on one weekend. These were great on somewhat wide mag wheels. But all that I could find in Crescent City, CA on a winter Saturday morning were 185-80 x 13's in an unknown brand and obviously old stock.

At least the price was very reasonable, since what they fit were Ford Falcons, the last one plying California roads was last seen fifteen years prior! Jest kidding!

They worked fine for four years in which we traveled almost 40K miles. However, even at full rated pressure of 32 psi the wear was mostly on the edges and down almost to the belt. So I made the decision to replace the wheels with the largest 14 inch rubber that would fit. This ended up being 205-70 x 14s, since the 75 series came too close to rubbing on the top of the wheel well for comfort.

Really, what I would like best would be to use the same size as is used on my pickup in a 6 lug wheel. That way one spare would suffice for both units. Overkill for a Scamp, but I'm sure it would work just fine!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
Really, what I would like best would be to use the same size as is used on my pickup in a 6 lug wheel. That way one spare would suffice for both units. Overkill for a Scamp, but I'm sure it would work just fine!
Been there, done that and it didn't work. Not 6 lug, but 5 on 4-1/2. The problem is offset. Trailer wheels are zero. The ones on my tug are like 3 (degrees?) necessary to clear the disc brake calipers. YMMV

Sigh.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
Seems that my experiences with tire failure is always on a weekend in some obscure place.

I lost two 205-70 x 13's on one weekend. These were great on somewhat wide mag wheels. But all that I could find in Crescent City, CA on a winter Saturday morning were 185-80 x 13's in an unknown brand and obviously old stock.

At least the price was very reasonable, since what they fit were Ford Falcons, the last one plying California roads was last seen fifteen years prior! Jest kidding!

They worked fine for four years in which we traveled almost 40K miles. However, even at full rated pressure of 32 psi the wear was mostly on the edges and down almost to the belt. So I made the decision to replace the wheels with the largest 14 inch rubber that would fit. This ended up being 205-70 x 14s, since the 75 series came too close to rubbing on the top of the wheel well for comfort.

Yep,
The offset is different, and there is another problem with that seemingly perfect idea. Trailers typically have no shocks so they are much more sensitive to the weight of the wheel/tire. When the tire hits a rut and accellerates upward, the suspension has to counter that. The more weight that gets accellerated, the harder the suspension has to work. Ultimately what happens is that the trailer gets beat up pretty badly. It's like trying to catch a bowling ball as opposed to a basketball. The heavier ball causes a much greater jolt because of it's weight. Anyone who has ever dabbled in race cars knows the downside of "unsprung weight". This is a downside to the 14 as well, but in my experience that added weight of the 14 is offset by the benefits in durability on the heavier trailers. Too much over kill though is not a good thing here. It's all Einsteins fault! He had to go and find this: E=Mv2

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #26

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Craig T.,

How did your axle project turn out?

Perk
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #27

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
I have done a bit of research and decided to use a Flexride axle. The ability to adjust the starting angle is an attractive feature to me.

The U-Haul is now in my work shop. I had to remove the under-sized door, raise the lintel and install an 8' high door. The U-Haul fits with an inch to spare. With the new axle, it will probably be too tall. I just have not been able to do all the detailed measurements to order the axle (lots of overtime required at my job).

I am hoping to get to this soon.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
I have done a bit of research and decided to use a Flexride axle. The ability to adjust the starting angle is an attractive feature to me.

The U-Haul is now in my work shop. I had to remove the under-sized door, raise the lintel and install an 8' high door. The U-Haul fits with an inch to spare. With the new axle, it will probably be too tall. I just have not been able to do all the detailed measurements to order the axle (lots of overtime required at my job).

Craig T.
Keep us posted as you find time. Lots of us are interested in this, as all UHauls will need it eventually.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #29

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Craig

Just let air out of the new tires when moving it in and out through the doorway. That might give you enough clearance

Quote:

Craig T.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #30

Trailer:
Quote:
The U-Haul is now in my work shop. I had to remove the under-sized door, raise the lintel and install an 8' high door.
Oh, right, the workshop door - I had visions of how bad your U-Haul was gonna look when you had fitted an 8' high door to it.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #31

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
:-)
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle