Need new axle, what brand? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
I read back through my posts and didn't find anything that needed amending. I'll just stick with what I said.

David
__________________

__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
My pop-up had very small tires, 12" maybe? I had 4 blow outs in the 15 years that I towed it. Two of those were in VERY dangerous conditions. I want rugged. 13"ers might be rugged enough.
My Fiber Stream has 12" wheels/tires, although I have 4 of them (5 counting the spare). I had a blow out, and admittedly loosing only 25% of the trailer's support is a lot easier to deal with than loosing 50%. I don't think the size of the tire makes any difference in rugged-ness; as long as they contain air you're at risk for a blow-out. I haven't had a problem getting a replacement 12" tire on the road.
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Tire Pressure Sensors

Certainly tire failure is always a concern, particularly in single axle trailers. As a result I am particular conscious of the tires and regularly check them when traveling. To get a little better handle on our trailer tires, I have added tire pressure sensors to our trailer's tires.

Our add-on sensors report both pressure and temperature. Hopefully a change in one or the other will be noticed or alarmed before a tire failure.

I have no experience with Tire Pessure Monitors but in the little time we've had them the effect of outside temperature on tire pressure has been noticed. Certainly over this year's 11,000 miles we should get some measure of the TPMs value.

Like Frederick with his 12" tires, we have not had a problem finding a replacement 13" tire after a road failure though I probably will increase our tires to 14" tires at some point in the future.

Safe travels
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,308
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Certainly tire failure is always a concern, particularly in single axle trailers. As a result I am particular conscious of the tires and regularly check them when traveling. To get a little better handle on our trailer tires, I have added tire pressure sensors to our trailer's tires.

Our add-on sensors report both pressure and temperature. Hopefully a change in one or the other will be noticed or alarmed before a tire failure.

I have no experience with Tire Pessure Monitors but in the little time we've had them the effect of outside temperature on tire pressure has been noticed. Certainly over this year's 11,000 miles we should get some measure of the TPMs value.

Like Frederick with his 12" tires, we have not had a problem finding a replacement 13" tire after a road failure though I probably will increase our tires to 14" tires at some point in the future.

Safe travels
The only thing to add here is to be cautious of add on pressure sensors. If they screw onto the valve stem they increase to leak potential. Schrader valves are designed so that the higher the pressure the better the seal. Screw on anything on the end of valve stem defeats the Schrader valve and depends on sealing around the rim of the valve stem. That seal works opposite of the Schrader valve, that is the higher the pressure the greater the chance of a leak. Also any roughness at the end of valve stem will further reduce the reliability of the seal.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The only thing to add here is to be cautious of add on pressure sensors. If they screw onto the valve stem they increase to leak potential. Schrader valves are designed so that the higher the pressure the better the seal. Screw on anything on the end of valve stem defeats the Schrader valve and depends on sealing around the rim of the valve stem. That seal works opposite of the Schrader valve, that is the higher the pressure the greater the chance of a leak. Also any roughness at the end of valve stem will further reduce the reliability of the seal.
I agree, my experience with one of these plastic pressure sensors was not good. Fortunately, I caught it before complete pressure loss. They were expensive so I assumed they should be reliable. The plastic body partly cracked below its tip. If the tip would fly off it would cause massive air loss. Never again.

George.
__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Thank You

Certainly a leaking valve is a concern. We've used them for about a month now without any leaks. Hopefully if they start to leak the monitor will catch it. I will keep my eye on it.

We have made two modifications to the installation. First we added a plastic guard that slips over the valve stem on the Honda because the stem comes close to the tire's rim. Second on the trailer we have added Lexal caulking between the valve stem and rim to reduce the possibility of valve stem vibration with the extra weight on the end of the valve stem.

Thanks for your thoughts.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Certainly a leaking valve is a concern. We've used them for about a month now without any leaks. Hopefully if they start to leak the monitor will catch it. I will keep my eye on it.

We have made two modifications to the installation. First we added a plastic guard that slips over the valve stem on the Honda because the stem comes close to the tire's rim. Second on the trailer we have added Lexal caulking between the valve stem and rim to reduce the possibility of valve stem vibration with the extra weight on the end of the valve stem.

Thanks for your thoughts.
You really like that Lexal caulking don't you Norm ?
David
__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Lexal

You know the phrase "Love the girl you're with..." It's what I have so I used it. It seems to stick and perform the function of reducing potential vibration.

I did use it to install the thru roof wires for the Solar Panels and no leaks so far.

Safe and loving travels
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
Seems that my experiences with tire failure is always on a weekend in some obscure place.

I lost two 205-70 x 13's on one weekend. These were great on somewhat wide mag wheels. But all that I could find in Crescent City, CA on a winter Saturday morning were 185-80 x 13's in an unknown brand and obviously old stock.

At least the price was very reasonable, since what they fit were Ford Falcons, the last one plying California roads was last seen fifteen years prior! Jest kidding!

They worked fine for four years in which we traveled almost 40K miles. However, even at full rated pressure of 32 psi the wear was mostly on the edges and down almost to the belt. So I made the decision to replace the wheels with the largest 14 inch rubber that would fit. This ended up being 205-70 x 14s, since the 75 series came too close to rubbing on the top of the wheel well for comfort.

Really, what I would like best would be to use the same size as is used on my pickup in a 6 lug wheel. That way one spare would suffice for both units. Overkill for a Scamp, but I'm sure it would work just fine!
__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
Really, what I would like best would be to use the same size as is used on my pickup in a 6 lug wheel. That way one spare would suffice for both units. Overkill for a Scamp, but I'm sure it would work just fine!
Been there, done that and it didn't work. Not 6 lug, but 5 on 4-1/2. The problem is offset. Trailer wheels are zero. The ones on my tug are like 3 (degrees?) necessary to clear the disc brake calipers. YMMV

Sigh.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
Seems that my experiences with tire failure is always on a weekend in some obscure place.

I lost two 205-70 x 13's on one weekend. These were great on somewhat wide mag wheels. But all that I could find in Crescent City, CA on a winter Saturday morning were 185-80 x 13's in an unknown brand and obviously old stock.

At least the price was very reasonable, since what they fit were Ford Falcons, the last one plying California roads was last seen fifteen years prior! Jest kidding!

They worked fine for four years in which we traveled almost 40K miles. However, even at full rated pressure of 32 psi the wear was mostly on the edges and down almost to the belt. So I made the decision to replace the wheels with the largest 14 inch rubber that would fit. This ended up being 205-70 x 14s, since the 75 series came too close to rubbing on the top of the wheel well for comfort.

Really, what I would like best would be to use the same size as is used on my pickup in a 6 lug wheel. That way one spare would suffice for both units. Overkill for a Scamp, but I'm sure it would work just fine!
Yep,
The offset is different, and there is another problem with that seemingly perfect idea. Trailers typically have no shocks so they are much more sensitive to the weight of the wheel/tire. When the tire hits a rut and accellerates upward, the suspension has to counter that. The more weight that gets accellerated, the harder the suspension has to work. Ultimately what happens is that the trailer gets beat up pretty badly. It's like trying to catch a bowling ball as opposed to a basketball. The heavier ball causes a much greater jolt because of it's weight. Anyone who has ever dabbled in race cars knows the downside of "unsprung weight". This is a downside to the 14 as well, but in my experience that added weight of the 14 is offset by the benefits in durability on the heavier trailers. Too much over kill though is not a good thing here. It's all Einsteins fault! He had to go and find this: E=Mv2

David
__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Perk's Avatar
 
Name: Perk
Trailer: U-Haul VT 16FT
Arizona
Posts: 120
Registry
Craig T.,

How did your axle project turn out?

Perk
__________________
Perk
Enjoy the Adventure
1985 16ft U-Haul VT
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Name: Craig
Trailer: U-Haul
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 101
I have done a bit of research and decided to use a Flexride axle. The ability to adjust the starting angle is an attractive feature to me.

The U-Haul is now in my work shop. I had to remove the under-sized door, raise the lintel and install an 8' high door. The U-Haul fits with an inch to spare. With the new axle, it will probably be too tall. I just have not been able to do all the detailed measurements to order the axle (lots of overtime required at my job).

I am hoping to get to this soon.

Craig T.
__________________
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
I have done a bit of research and decided to use a Flexride axle. The ability to adjust the starting angle is an attractive feature to me.

The U-Haul is now in my work shop. I had to remove the under-sized door, raise the lintel and install an 8' high door. The U-Haul fits with an inch to spare. With the new axle, it will probably be too tall. I just have not been able to do all the detailed measurements to order the axle (lots of overtime required at my job).

I am hoping to get to this soon.

Craig T.
Keep us posted as you find time. Lots of us are interested in this, as all UHauls will need it eventually.
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tandem axle vs single axle trailer Wayne Hill Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 26 07-17-2012 11:39 PM
Anyone know what model/ brand this might be? SGraves Hi, I am.... 13 04-11-2011 07:09 PM
Anybody know what brand trailer this is? Emily R. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 9 04-03-2010 05:16 PM
axle is an automotive axle on my casita tracy.c Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 26 07-30-2007 05:50 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.