Need some help, ball size & towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft (''Egg-zackly'')
Hey all...I need to know what size ball to use for towing a 13' Scamp
Thanks in advance!
Arline
Arline Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Right from the Scamp website:

Quote:
First, you need to securely hitch your Scamp to the towing vehicle. You should have a 2 inch ball hitch for towing your Scamp. Prior to 2005, most 13 foot trailers used a 1 and 7/8 inch ball. The ball hitch height on the tow vehicle should be about 18 inches high for the 13 foot trailer and 21 inches high for the 16 foot trailer.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Right from the Scamp website:

Thanks Donna, YOU ROCK!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #4

My friend is buying my scamp, 2003. She says she has a *bumper hitch*, apparent two weight of her vehicle is 5000lbs: 2001 Chevy s10 V6 . Does she need a frame hitch, or will she be ok with what she has?
Again, ty in advance!
Arline
Old 06-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
My friend is buying my scamp, 2003. She says she has a *bumper hitch*, apparent two weight of her vehicle is 5000lbs: 2001 Chevy s10 V6 . Does she need a frame hitch, or will she be ok with what she has?
Again, ty in advance!
Arline
Hi: The important thing here is hitch height!!! Usually a step bumper with a ball attached is too high for the coupler on the trailer. If that is so then a frame hitch will be required with the appropriate step up/down stinger to reach the height of the trailer tongue/coupler.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi: The important thing here is hitch height!!! Usually a step bumper with a ball attached is too high for the coupler on the trailer. If that is so then a frame hitch will be required with the appropriate step up/down stinger to reach the height of the trailer tongue/coupler.
Thanks Alf...will check height of her hitch!

Arline
Old 06-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #7

Ok Alf...The top of the ball on her truch hitch is 19"...So this sounds do-able? With the step bumper?
Again, ty so much!
Arline
Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Ok Alf...The top of the ball on her truch hitch is 19"...So this sounds do-able? With the step bumper?
Again, ty so much!
Arline
Hi: Arline... The perfect tow will be level truck/trailer to slightly tongue low trailer. You can adjust some of the height differance by loading the truck bed with stuff to sit lower and or load the trailer more to the front to have more tongue weight on the hitch. If Scamp says 18" it should be very close to level but also check the step bumper's weight restrictions.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You can also get one of these step bumper receiver hitches -- Box receiver attaches to step bumper and then a drop ball mount can be used to drop the ball further. Note that the tongue weight for this hitch component is less than that of a conventional bolt-on receiver hitch. Also, this receiver is NOT suitable for WDH.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/294192/V...Bumper_Receiver

Sometimes on the shelf at Wally.

BTW, there are three dimensions and one rating to a hitch ball. The size of the ball diameter, the thickness of the shank and the length of the shank. The ball will also have a capacity stamped into it. Many 1 7/8" balls have only a 2,000 lb capacity; UHaul has one in catalog with 5,000 lb capacity.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
A lot of step bumpers are more cosmetic than structural. I would prefer a strong frame mounted hitch. A hitch that fails can ruin your whole day.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
A lot of step bumpers are more cosmetic than structural. I would prefer a strong frame mounted hitch. A hitch that fails can ruin your whole day.
Depends on the vehicle. If the step bumper doesn't have a load capacity rating marked on it then I wouldn't tow with it.

I have had two step bumpers which had Class II ratings; one of which is the factory step bumper on my 98 Ranger. Both are bolted to the frame just like a receiver hitch and made of steel with sturdy dimensions.

Sounds like the Chevy bumper is rated for 5,000 lbs, so it is not one of the sheet metal step bumpers.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote