Need Tow Vehicle Advice - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve, I agree about shape. Our stickie was lighter but got 3 mpg less with the 'same' tow vehicle.

As to volume the CRV is pretty roomie. We carry nothing in the trailer no matter where or how long we go that does not belong there. Things like chairs, a nd, ... go in the back of the CRV.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #42

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
Norm you certainly do put on alot of miles, and to be averaging over 20 mpg while towing is great. I would imagine that most people don't tow a fraction of the miles you do. My wife and I have three vehicles and likely only put on slightly more than you on all three combined. With our current life style i would guess that a good year would be 1500-2000 miles of actual towing, but with the price of fuel and miles you put on i can definatly see how important the fuel bill is.
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #43

Florida
Dave,
The Honda is our only vehicle. Before we retired we had 3 vehicles and easily put 60,000 miles a year on them.

We've had the Honda for 8 years and are averaging about 20,000 miles a year, aproaching 170,000 miles. It is our only vehicle.

Retiring saved us on fuel, insurance, taxes, car purchase, car maintenance and repairs. I wish I had thought about retiring earlier. One vehicle is more than enough even when we're hom, as rare as it is this year.

As an aside, retirement also means less for natural gas, electricity, food (we eat less), definitely less for clothes purchases, ..... I'm sure there's more.

All the savings have gone into the fun of RVing, I think also our well mental state and certainly our improved physical state.

Dave, though we put a lot of miles on for a good part of the last 3 months we have bounced a lot around the coast of Washington and Oregon, often driving 20, 30 or 50 miles between camp sites. Tonight we're in Wallace, ID and it's very obvious that this is a couple of weeks area.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #44

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Back to the original topic!

Becky, where you able to check for those brackets Mike mentioned? Just wondering if you had a chance to check......
Personally, if it's do-able I would install them.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #45

Florida
Becky, if possible I would add brakes to your trailer. First it takes the load braking load off your tow vehicle. Second trailer brakes can stop the trailer in combination with an inexpensive break-away switch should the trailer come off the ball.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'll add my 2 cents here - I have an Escape 17B that has a dry weight of 2100 lbs, and an actual weight when packed for a long trip of 3120 lbs. I tow with a RAV4 (V6 & Tow Package) rated at 3500 lbs trailer & 350 lbs hitch. I travel by myself.

How does it work? 1st, I wouldn't even think of doing this without trailer brakes. They are required by NY State on any trailer over 1000 lbs. I have a utility trailer without brakes that I have loaded to the Escapes traveling weight, and stopping it is, well "exciting!". The Escape with brakes stops just about as well as the RAV4 alone. Seems to me that the smaller the tow vehicle, the more important trailer brakes become.

As to towing, the RAV4 does have enough power to tow the trailer. I have been up & down both east & west coast mountains (I'm currently in Leadville, CO at 10,000') gets 15 MPG towing & 25 MPG unhooked. Total towing mileage so far is 28,000. I have not had any problems with passing trucks, crosswinds, etc. The combination is a joy to drive.

As to purchasing a more fuel efficient vehicle just to save $ - You can calculate your savings be comparing mileage, and unless you do a huge amount of driving, you will never recuperate the cost of the new vehicle. That said, when it is time for a new vehicle considering the size & fuel economy does make sense.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #47

Name: Becky & Dave
Trailer: U haul '82 CT13 & Casita 17' Deluxe
Oregon
How fast when towing

What is the recommended speed to tow the ct13. Can't find info. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #48

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B
UHaul user's guide sez maximum of 45 mph. Many of us tow faster.....some a lot faster
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #49

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Best guess would be your no more than 1500-1600 pounds loaded that's total weight, tongue and trailer giving 200 for the tongue and 1300 for the trailer.
There are many options for you the Outback being one.

I'd be looking for something better in fuel consumption than the truck as well.
With at least 2 13' Scamps I know of that would not be a correct guess. Mine is about 1700 maybe a bit more. Another member's is closer to 2000. Weigh it.

FYI, In Oregon many road side truck scales are useable all the time. Drive on the scales and read the weight. Don't forget the tongue weight.

If the scales you choose has a large enough deck you weigh the trailer while connected and tow off the scales. Unhitch on the scales (you could simply release the hitch and jack the trailer until the free of the ball), read the new weight. The difference will be the tongue weight.

Now you know the weights you have to deal with. I would suggest that when choosing a new tow vehicle leave some room for additional weight. Stuff you carry with you has a tendency to grow.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #50

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A.
Best guess would be your no more than 1500-1600 pounds loaded that's total weight, tongue and trailer giving 200 for the tongue and 1300 for the trailer.
There are many options for you the Outback being one.

I'd be looking for something better in fuel consumption than the truck as well.
Mine is 1,200 pounds. About 130 pounds of that are on the tongue. That's the weight empty, but with a full propane tank. I lightened the original 180 pound tongue weight by removing the battery from the tongue and replacing the steel propane tank with a fiberglass one. You can also pack the trailer in such a way as to increase or reduce tongue weight. I find that it tows much better with the lighter rogue. It's funny, because the people I bought it from were not happy with 'only' 180 pounds of tongue weight, so they packed all their gear, including multiple five gallon water tanks, in the very front of the Scamp.

As for the battery, I use a jump start pack that I charge up before the trip and plug in to the 12v system under the dinette table. The only 12v accessories in my Scamp are two lights, which I replaced with LEDS, so the battery lasts a LONG time. Most of the time we are hooked up to AC power, so I don't have much need for the 12v system, other than to charge iPhones, iPads, etc.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #51

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B View Post
Becky, since you live in Oregon... you know the FASTEST any of our roads (MPH signs) is 65 mph (trucks 55mph), I get the BEST fuel mileage with my 16' Scamp/Ford F-150 at about 57 mph. Fast enough to get there and slow enough to see some scenery.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #52

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B View Post
Becky your speed may be restricted by what the tire speed rating on your trailers tires are. If the tires are marked ST then the max speed is 65 mph
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote