Needed: Trailer Brakes for Dummies - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Posts: 231
Needed: Trailer Brakes for Dummies

Hi, I'm thinking I'd like to have brakes installed on my 2005 13' Scamp. As far as I can tell I do have the flanges for them on the axle. At least there is a square plate with holes that I can see right next to the wheels. My TV (2009 Honda Element) has the round connector for the trailer lights. I remember someone saying, "that's good! you can add brakes" when they saw that. I don't understand what they meant though. Can someone explain to me in a really basic fashion how the brakes work, and what I would be having installed as far as a Controller, any more wires, etc. and the parts that go on the axle? I don't want to be completely clueless when I go to my mechanic (or my hubby) about this. I've been reading old threads about brakes and getting some clues, but I am lacking the very basics on how it all works.
Thanks, this forum is always soooooo helpful!
__________________

__________________
Doghaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rabbit's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Posts: 2,548
How Electric Brakes Work — hitchweb

Here ya go. Plain spoken tutorial on electric trailer brakes and brake controllers. You already doped out the mounting flange for the brake plate so it should be a quick study for you.

jack
__________________

__________________
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Member
 
Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Posts: 88
Registry
Go to etrailer.com there you can find a video explain how t install them. You can buy everything you need.
__________________
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
In short, you need to add the trailer brake shoes and backing plate, change the hubs to an integral hub / brake drum and add a brake controller to your tow vehicle.

The links will give you an idea of the cost of the parts. If you are handy, you can do it yourself.

You must have this bracket behind your tire / wheel to mount the brakes.

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Hi, I'm thinking I'd like to have brakes installed on my 2005 13' Scamp. As far as I can tell I do have the flanges for them on the axle. At least there is a square plate with holes that I can see right next to the wheels. My TV (2009 Honda Element) has the round connector for the trailer lights. I remember someone saying, "that's good! you can add brakes" when they saw that. I don't understand what they meant though. Can someone explain to me in a really basic fashion how the brakes work, and what I would be having installed as far as a Controller, any more wires, etc. and the parts that go on the axle? I don't want to be completely clueless when I go to my mechanic (or my hubby) about this. I've been reading old threads about brakes and getting some clues, but I am lacking the very basics on how it all works.
Thanks, this forum is always soooooo helpful!
Look here, it should be everything you need for the conversion...

ADD Brakes TO Your Trailer Camper Snowmobile 7" 5x4 5 | eBay
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look on Northerntool.com
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Posts: 231
Thank you everyone! I'm getting the picture...that is indeed the bracket that I can see next to the wheel. And no, very funny, but I am not at all handy other than with the computer or with training dogs, so this project may be one for my favorite mechanic.
__________________
Doghaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Thank you everyone! I'm getting the picture...that is indeed the bracket that I can see next to the wheel. And no, very funny, but I am not at all handy other than with the computer or with training dogs, so this project may be one for my favorite mechanic.
You may still be able to save money by buying all the parts and dropping them off. My auto mechanic charges 2x retail on parts.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,316
Registry
I have no experience with brakes. I had the axle replaced on my first Trillium 4500, so it came with brakes. We picked up my second 4500 in Ontario, and while it has the brake assemblies, the magnets are missing. Attached are the pictures I took of the inside of the brake drums. Why are there two posts, and what magnets should I buy?
Attached Thumbnails
Launch Pad - Street Side Brakes 01.jpg   Launch Pad - Street Side Brakes 02.jpg  

Launch Pad - Street Side Brakes 03.jpg  
__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check this site out. You may find it a better deal to purchase complete units than just the magnets alone. Tow Zone Electric Brakes Pair, 10in., Model# 86805 | Drum Brakes| Northern Tool + Equipment
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have no experience with brakes. I had the axle replaced on my first Trillium 4500, so it came with brakes. We picked up my second 4500 in Ontario, and while it has the brake assemblies, the magnets are missing. Attached are the pictures I took of the inside of the brake drums. Why are there two posts, and what magnets should I buy?
I would not buy magnets, I would buy whole assemblies, as they are so cheap.


Make sure these are the correct width. You need a right and a left. These are genuine Dexter brakes.

Dexter 10" x 2-1/4" Electric Brake Assy. - Right Hand / 3.5k #K23-027-00

Canadian shipping notes: http://www.easternmarine.com/order-i...ping-handling/
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
I wonder if two posts are required to keep the magnet aligned?

I would be tempted to replace the entire brake/drum assembly rather than work with fixing up old. That way you know what you've got and that it is designed to work together.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I wonder if two posts are required to keep the magnet aligned?

I would be tempted to replace the entire brake/drum assembly rather than work with fixing up old. That way you know what you've got and that it is designed to work together.
Once he prices the cost of a magnet alone and compares it to the cost of a whole unit, the answer will be clear.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Wow, two others posting the same thing in the time it took me to respond.

Looking at your second picture Dave, That axle is looking a bit up for having no load.
Have you considered changing everything all at once?
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brakes


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer brakes... Jan Adams Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 4 12-04-2011 03:02 PM
Trailer Brakes Pete Dumbleton Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 4 01-02-2008 01:36 AM
Wiring for dummies - again Ian-Vicki Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 09-21-2007 03:41 PM
Trailer Brakes Jen'nBarb General Chat 9 08-21-2006 12:53 AM
Dumping for Dummies Legacy Posts Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 27 02-27-2003 08:35 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.