New axle for 2015 Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I thought Scamp used Dexter E-Z lube axles???

Old 12-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I thought Scamp used Dexter E-Z lube axles???
No more. Lippert is the supplier now.

Still easy lube though.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #17

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
So, I'm picking up my 13ft Scamp at the end of March.
I live in Florida, about 1760 miles.
It sounds like the grease gun is not going to help and I will need to bring the tools, jacks, and packing grease... or can I just get a pair of bearing hubcap that has the grease fitting in it.?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
So, I'm picking up my 13ft Scamp at the end of March.
I live in Florida, about 1760 miles.
It sounds like the grease gun is not going to help and I will need to bring the tools, jacks, and packing grease... or can I just get a pair of bearing hubcap that has the grease fitting in it.?
A little common sense goes a long way. Make a habit of touching your hubs at every fuel stop.
For instance...I stopped on my way home from Backus and adjusted my brakes, but I could have waited until I got home. Trailers don't have automatic adjusters so it would have to be done after break in anyway.
Your trailer will likely be fine to get it home, but good maintenance starts from new and continues for the life of anything which was put together.

I live 600 miles from Backus,I have a flat driveway, water and electricity just a few hundred yards off your path to Florida from Backus. I have a Box of tools and many decades of experience.
You are welcome to stop overnight and I will help you check every system on your new trailer and assure that you leave with a better understanding of how to care for it and some peace of mind.
If the weather is bad we can do it all inside my shop.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If this can be documented as a service requirement, think that it's time to have a serious discussion with Scamp.

Delivering a new trailer, that can require that the wheel bearings be serviced the very first day it is towed off the lot is, in the words of that WB Rabbit "Redickilous".

For many new Scamp owners it would require finding a garage to get that work done, basically eating up a day of time and additional living expenses.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #20

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If this can be documented as a service requirement, think that it's time to have a serious discussion with Scamp.

Delivering a new trailer, that can require that the wheel bearings be serviced the very first day it is towed off the lot is, in the words of that WB Rabbit "Redickilous".

For many new Scamp owners it would require finding a garage to get that work done, basically eating up a day of time and additional living expenses.
Ridiculous indeed! Ostensibly all trailer axles are delivered properly assembled. All trailers (not just Scamp) come with at least one axle. Good practice generally results in longevity, but many people get by for a long time without doing anything. Again common sense works when it is applied and requirements are set by owners.
My trailer gets checked out before every trip, largely because my shop is lit, packed with tools and safer than the shoulder of a busy highway.
I change my tow vehicle's oil on schedule, but I'm not going to stop on the road 300 miles from home and change the oil... It can wait. good practice must be practical too. Common sense trumps fealty to schedules or owner's manuals.
Serious discussions should be reserved for serious matters.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #21

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...WOW!!! If this is necessary for a Scamp... just how much do you save over "SOB's"?
If you buy an economy car this type of service isn't required.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 12-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...WOW!!! If this is necessary for a Scamp... just how much do you save over "SOB's"?
If you buy an economy car this type of service isn't required.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
"SOBs" have axles too, and they are not economy cars.
Economy cars require service too and a pretrip checkout is prudent for them as well,just different. I don't like to be on the road in any car only to find that I have no washer fluid at a critical moment.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
WOW, In the 10+ Years I've belonged to this group this the first time any thing has been said about new trailers and axles. Now it's time for everybody to get paranoid. Typical US resident response.

The chances are that the crown nut is one spot too tight. I don't like to mess in the grease for 10 years I've had somebody else repack my wheel bearings. Once a couple years ago they were making noise when I pulled into a campground. I'd driven about 250 miles that day. The hubs were warm almost hot. I took to automotive place they redid the bearings and the brakes and indicated both had been set just a bit too tight. No damage to bearings or spindle. Ya it cost an extra $80, which is a lot cheaper than the hundreds to replace an axle.
There's a tendency to jump to the worst conclusion rather than looking at as though it couple be something less drastic.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Right now I think that the discussion has become more about an alleged wheel bearing service requirement on a NEW trailer, than about the still undiagnosed problem that the op has.

And Yes, this is the first time that this issue has surfaced, and it is apparently not long after Scamp changed axle vendors.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Right now I think that the discussion has become more about an alleged wheel bearing service requirement on a NEW trailer, than about the still undiagnosed problem that the op has.

And Yes, this is the first time that this issue has surfaced, and it is apparently not long after Scamp changed axle vendors.
So the answer is to service the axle and find the problem.
Present what is found to Scamp along with the bill (if appropriate).
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobconroy View Post
...I greased the axle but have no idea if the delivery person greased it (as directed by Scamp) after 200 miles during the 1300 mile trip...
I watched the entire video owner's manual segment on wheels and bearings from the Scamp website. They do discuss break-in procedures for a new trailer. Other than the common sense recommendation to monitor hub temperatures frequently for the first 200 miles (and a warning that the easy-lube hubs may tend to run a bit hot until the bearings seat), there is nothing about any mandatory bearing service.

There is a difference between checking the bearings (for temperature) and servicing the bearings, and I wonder if that's where the misunderstanding arose.

I agree that there appears to be something that needs attention, but it does not appear to be caused by the failure of the Scamp delivery driver to perform a bearing service at 200 miles.

Still, that raises a question… when Scamp delivers a trailer, do they flatbed it or tow it on the ground? If they're towed (as it seems in this case), I wonder if the drivers actually monitor anything, and whether they reduce speed during the first few hundred miles as new metal settles in. Kind of doubt it… I wonder how the other molded fiberglass manufacturers handle long-distance deliveries.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you paid Scamp for the delivery then they would have liability until it is turned over to you.... Unless it is sold FOB or free on board (the delivery vehicle) indicating ti is shipped on some other conveyance.
With FOB the responsibility becomes the purchasers at the time the unit is placed in the hands of the shipper.
Liability is that of the shipper or customer.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #28

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
I'm most concerned with Scamp's apparent lack of helping out the customer, whether, ultimately, it is the axle manufacturer's or Scamp's financial responsibility.

Scamp chose this supplier, and they should take responsibility for delivering a complete, working, non-defective trailer - should be NO question that Scamp would do what is necessary to make it right. If they do not want to be responsible for a faulty axle, they should not use this manufacturer - Scamp is the one who has the power to make it right. I would expect their response to be: We will fix it, then we will argue with the supplier. Or, at the very least, they should contact the axle supplier, and make arrangements for it to be serviced or replaced. Particularly on a brand new unit.

Will definitely be a major consideration when I decide to buy a new trailer. I avoid auto dealers who I perceive to have poor customer service, and I pay extra at dealers whom I know will stand behind their product.

Tags
axle, scamp