New axle for 2015 Scamp 13 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So the answer is to service the axle and find the problem.
Present what is found to Scamp along with the bill (if appropriate).
My position would be, I just got done paying out of pocket for a properly working trailer. It should NOT be my responsibility to foot the bill, even temporarily, for repairing a defective (on delivery) trailer. Bad customer service.
__________________

__________________
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I'm most concerned with Scamp's apparent lack of helping out the customer, whether, ultimately, it is the axle manufacturer's or Scamp's financial responsibility.

Scamp chose this supplier, and they should take responsibility for delivering a complete, working, non-defective trailer - should be NO question that Scamp would do what is necessary to make it right. If they do not want to be responsible for a faulty axle, they should not use this manufacturer - Scamp is the one who has the power to make it right. I would expect their response to be: We will fix it, then we will argue with the supplier. Or, at the very least, they should contact the axle supplier, and make arrangements for it to be serviced or replaced. Particularly on a brand new unit.

Will definitely be a major consideration when I decide to buy a new trailer. I avoid auto dealers who I perceive to have poor customer service, and I pay extra at dealers whom I know will stand behind their product.
You are jumping to your conclusions based on what Bob called a "still undiagnosed problem that the op has".
The OP in turn did not have the problem diagnosed by a competent person. Very likely this problem could be fixed by a local shop very cheaply and the owner reimbursed by Scamp if appropriate.
Another point, It is highly unlikely that the axle will need replaced but Scamp axles are now bolted on. I'm not sure when they first implemented this policy, but a simple look under this 2015 model would answer that question.
Just like a refrigerator or furnace, the axle can be handled under warranty by any RV or trailer shop which sells the product... In this case Lippert axles.
Bill Nolen gave the definitive appropriate answer in Post#2.
__________________

__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You are jumping to your conclusions based on what Bob called a "still undiagnosed problem that the op has".
But if there is a problem, and a squealing wheel on delivery is a problem in my opinion, it should NOT be up to the purchaser to foot the bill in finding out what is wrong - it's squealing, that's what's wrong.

Scamp should make arrangements with a local shop to diagnose and repair the problem, at their expense. Not tell the purchaser to deal with the axle manufacturer. That is what I would consider decent customer service.
__________________
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
But if there is a problem, and a squealing wheel on delivery is a problem in my opinion, it should NOT be up to the purchaser to foot the bill in finding out what is wrong - it's squealing, that's what's wrong.

Scamp should make arrangements with a local shop to diagnose and repair the problem, at their expense. Not tell the purchaser to deal with the axle manufacturer. That is what I would consider decent customer service.
The buyer should know better than Scamp which local shops are available in Montana.

While neither of us is privy to the conversation between Scamp and the OP, I know the folks at Scamp well enough to say that they are responsible people who are more than willing to meet their obligations and more, especially if the problems are communicated concisely.

Although a Lippert dealer is not needed to get a brake problem fixed,
here is the dealer locator for Lippert axles.

http://www.lci1.com/authorized-dealer-locator/
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
I think it's time to wait and see what the OP discovers the actual problem to be and how it's delt with. I have only two outstanding comments/concerns:


1. Where is it written that the wheel bearings were supposed to be greased after the first 200 miles ?
and
2. Asking that the replacement be done with a different axle (17') only clouds the entire issue.


It's time to hear from the OP for an update.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think it's time to wait and see what the OP discovers the actual problem to be and how it's delt with. I have only two outstanding comments/concerns:


1. Where is it written that the wheel bearings were supposed to be greased after the first 200 miles ?
and
2. Asking that the replacement be done with a different axle (17') only clouds the entire issue.


It's time to hear from the OP for an update.
1] Nowhere of which I am aware, but Dexter says this which may be the source...
BRAKES - How often should I adjust my brakes?
Dexter recommends that manual adjust brakes be adjusted . . . 1) After the first 200 miles of operation when the brake shoes and drums have "seated". 2) At 3,000 mile intervals. 3) Or as use or performance requires.


2] true that!

I recommend hand repacking and adjusting Brakes on a new axle after initial break-in, primarily because I think it is important to be sure that all components are in good shape, greased , and adjusted properly.
This also gives you the opportunity to inspect the wheels and tires to be sure that they have no obvious defects and that they too are installed properly.
While most axles are factory assembled properly, it is still only most.
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Name: Jacob
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16
Montana
Posts: 7
Holy Cow

I didn't expect my post to generate this much buzz. There are quite a few posts above, but I read through them quickly and will try to address the highlights...

I'm not the sort of person that is interested in talking on the phone when it comes to something important. If you are going to make a promise, but won't write it down....something is wrong with the situation. I have all correspondence regarding this problem in writing (email).

I initially reported the problem about a month after receiving the camper. During the first round of emails, Mr. Scamp said, verbatim, "The trailer is under warranty although the axle is covered under the manufacturers warranty. Is the brakes sticking? Did you add grease to the hub? What is the best number to reach you at I will forward your message to lippert!"

This is why I put two pumps of grease into the nipple of each hub. I can't remember where I found the mention of 200 miles, but I will find it. By the way, I did include my phone number. Never heard from Lippert. At this point I became frustrated and dropped it, saying that I would take it to a mechanic.

Well, I started the emailing again last week. I'm a bit peeved that they put this off on me. More attempts to send me off somewhere to take care of it. This is BS. It's keeping me up nights and I'm on the verge of getting rid of the Scamp all together.

I agree that I need to take it to a mechanic, but who is a good mechanic? There is a trailer shop by Missoula, but that guy chewed by rear end for asking him to quote a custom off-road trailer once (and I mean he really laid into me). Him and I won't be doing any business.

I also agree that I will pay the mechanic out of my pocket because I have no choice. Ever wonder why Scamp demands a cashier's check upon delivery? Now I know. Oh, and when I ordered the delivery I expected they would trailer it. Later I found out they were pulling it over here (OK, at least we will know the axle works...right?). Later I found out that the guy that delivered it (very nice fellow and his wife) were just buddies with the Scamp people. I severely doubt that any maintenance was done. I was also told that when delivered the trailer would be "washed and like new". It was not. Covered in 1300 miles worth of bug guts and dirt. It's not so bad though. I only paid about $950.00 for this premium service.

The wheel in question might be a tad warmer than the other, but nothing burns me. I've checked.

I'll try to find someone to take a look at it in the next couple of weeks. It's no problem for me to miss a couple of hours at work to take my brand new trailer to some stranger so he can take it apart. Now, after that, regardless of what he says is broken or not....who is responsible for the axle now? It will be either Scamp, Lippert, Me, or random mechanic. I suspect it's always going to be me.

The last we spoke, Mr. Scamp quoted me an axle for a 15 foot Scamp. I replied and said that $700.00 isn't too much for me, but will it ruin my trailer?

No response. I am starting to think that my lawyer should become involved. The moment I let someone else work on that axle, I'll bet that is the end of the warranty. But hey, doesn't seem like the warranty is going to become worth worrying about.

In all likelihood this will be a simple fix, but I'd like some direction on the matter. Thank goodness for you folks.

Let me know if I didn't clarify anything. I will also post back once I find a mechanic that isn't likely to make my nightmares worse.
__________________
jacobconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Jacob, first off take a deep breath. I know you are disappointed and probably disgusted, but this is a bump in the road. Remember, plenty of motor vehicles are built on Mondays and Fridays (brown bottle flu hungover and TGIF!), but those vehicles still go down the road.


I believe all new Scamps have a bolt on axle(?), with the proper tools a weekend mechanic can change the axle.


I'm still thinking Byron has probably the best idea... sounds like the crown nut is too tight. That can cause overheating and squealing and is just a Quality Control issue easily solved.


Would you feel comfortable enough to loosen the nut and reinstall the cotter pin and tow the trailer to see if it solves the problem? I would... but, YMMV.


Best of luck, truly.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
It is common with trailers that warranty issues are fixed at a shop near the customer. It would be unreasonable to expect the builder or the customer to take it back to the factory for such work.
It is also common for appliances, axles, etc. to be warrantied by the maker of that appliance ( or axle ). When my furnace quit, I took my trailer to an RV shop less than two miles away that is a certified service centre for the furnace. They handled all the paper work and fixed it at no cost to me.
I suggest you take it to your mechanic and then tell Scamp where it is, and supply them with phone numbers and names so they can speak directly to the shop.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Posts: 132
I was under the impression that Scamp used BearingBuddys on their trailers. Am I wrong?
__________________
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,886
1. there is no "Mr. Scamp," so the first question is, who did you speak to? Kent Eveland is the ultimate authority there.
2. email is a terribly efficient method of communication. yes, it is good to have it writing but remember that not much information is really communicate via email, compared to "person to person conversation."
3. Sorry you had a bad experience with a local mechanic.. but people who can work on trailer axles, brakes and bearings are a dime a dozen. There is someone else you can go to.
4. requiring a cashiers check is standard practice. To attribute some nefarious intent from this is absurd.
5. Its no secret that the delivery is by contracted towing.. no flatbeds, I figured that out early in my shopping and that is one reason I made the 1300+ mile trip myself. All you had to do was ask about how it would be delivered.
6. As to who is responsible.. you say it will always be you but NO ONE knows until the problem is diagnosed. Get ye to a trailer shop!
7. You say Mr. Scamp quoted you for an axle for a 15 foot Scamp. There is no such thing as a 15 foot Scamp (or a Mr. Scamp). Its beginning to sound like you don't know what you are talking about and therefore someone who does needs to see the trailer.

SO..
Take it to a trailer shop, let them and Kent talk, then we all will know whats up.

--

PS (edit)... If you read my other recent postings you will see that I have been a little critical of Scamp/Evelands, so don't think that I am blindly defending them. But the company is not as difficult as you seem to imply. It takes two to have a conflict.
__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Scamp has been building trailers for a Loooong time and I can understand why they don't want to put a heavier axle under your trailer. It may not be something that they usually do and there is nothing for them to gain, and plenty to loose if there are unforeseen issues. They have their own liability insurance and it may not cover non-standard modifications.

You don't need an RV shop to evaluate your axle. Call lippert and ask about a local service source and/or take it to a farm/horse trailer shop. Those parts are about the same on all trailers. A mechanic evaluating your noise isn't going to have any effect on your warranty when he/she is investigating an apparent safety issue.

And I am sure at all but one of us on the site realized that your reference to a 15' trailers axle, when you had mentioned a 17' earlier, was only a typo.

Good luck and let us all know what Lucky Larry's Trailer Shoppe (LOL) has to say.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,309
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobconroy View Post
I didn't expect my post to generate this much buzz. There are quite a few posts above, but I read through them quickly and will try to address the highlights...

I'm not the sort of person that is interested in talking on the phone when it comes to something important. If you are going to make a promise, but won't write it down....something is wrong with the situation. I have all correspondence regarding this problem in writing (email).

I initially reported the problem about a month after receiving the camper. During the first round of emails, Mr. Scamp said, verbatim, "The trailer is under warranty although the axle is covered under the manufacturers warranty. Is the brakes sticking? Did you add grease to the hub? What is the best number to reach you at I will forward your message to lippert!"

This is why I put two pumps of grease into the nipple of each hub. I can't remember where I found the mention of 200 miles, but I will find it. By the way, I did include my phone number. Never heard from Lippert. At this point I became frustrated and dropped it, saying that I would take it to a mechanic.

Well, I started the emailing again last week. I'm a bit peeved that they put this off on me. More attempts to send me off somewhere to take care of it. This is BS. It's keeping me up nights and I'm on the verge of getting rid of the Scamp all together.

I agree that I need to take it to a mechanic, but who is a good mechanic? There is a trailer shop by Missoula, but that guy chewed by rear end for asking him to quote a custom off-road trailer once (and I mean he really laid into me). Him and I won't be doing any business.

I also agree that I will pay the mechanic out of my pocket because I have no choice. Ever wonder why Scamp demands a cashier's check upon delivery? Now I know. Oh, and when I ordered the delivery I expected they would trailer it. Later I found out they were pulling it over here (OK, at least we will know the axle works...right?). Later I found out that the guy that delivered it (very nice fellow and his wife) were just buddies with the Scamp people. I severely doubt that any maintenance was done. I was also told that when delivered the trailer would be "washed and like new". It was not. Covered in 1300 miles worth of bug guts and dirt. It's not so bad though. I only paid about $950.00 for this premium service.

The wheel in question might be a tad warmer than the other, but nothing burns me. I've checked.

I'll try to find someone to take a look at it in the next couple of weeks. It's no problem for me to miss a couple of hours at work to take my brand new trailer to some stranger so he can take it apart. Now, after that, regardless of what he says is broken or not....who is responsible for the axle now? It will be either Scamp, Lippert, Me, or random mechanic. I suspect it's always going to be me.

The last we spoke, Mr. Scamp quoted me an axle for a 15 foot Scamp. I replied and said that $700.00 isn't too much for me, but will it ruin my trailer?

No response. I am starting to think that my lawyer should become involved. The moment I let someone else work on that axle, I'll bet that is the end of the warranty. But hey, doesn't seem like the warranty is going to become worth worrying about.

In all likelihood this will be a simple fix, but I'd like some direction on the matter. Thank goodness for you folks.

Let me know if I didn't clarify anything. I will also post back once I find a mechanic that isn't likely to make my nightmares worse.
Any automotive or tire shop can repack wheel bearings and adjust brakes.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #42
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
New axle for 2015 Scamp 13

I would agree that Scamp isn't necessarily difficult to deal with. I just do not like being lied to or at the very least, misled. At least two Scamp employees directly lied to or misled me, and a third (Kent Eveland) failed to follow up on a promise. I sold my Scamp because I was fed up with all of the quality control (shoddy construction) issues which "left a bitter taste in my mouth." For example, shortly after leaving Backus I realized the trailer brakes were not functioning properly. Well, when the manufacturer fails to connect the ground wires on each hub to the frame the brakes simply aren't going to work. How can that be overlooked? And I didn't appreciate having to return to Backus from Florida (time consuming and expensive) one year later to have defective fiberglass repaired; that was not how I had planned to spend my limited vacation time. Or to have to properly reinstall both Fantastic Vents at a time I was trying to recover from rotator cuff surgery. As I stated in an earlier post, I fully understand the OP's frustration. I didn't have a single problem free camping trip in the 2-1/2 years I owned my Scamp and I probably spent more time fixing things between trips than I actually spent camping. To me, that's not enjoyable; it was discouraging and it made me wish I hadn't purchased the Scamp in the first place. It wasn't worth the aggravation.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________

__________________
CPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle, scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NC | 2015, Oct. 15-18: Cherokee NC 2015 Rally Kip in Ga. Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 207 12-21-2015 11:57 AM
KS | 2015, Sept 9-13 (+): Eggstravaganza VIII (2015) Tom McRae Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 24 09-10-2015 03:52 PM
CA | 2015, Apr 30-May 4,: 2015 FiberglassRV Rally @ San Lorenzo Park, King City, CA Anne3358 Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 48 06-01-2015 10:14 AM
MN | 2015, May 27-31: EGG Fest 2015 Jim Hovind Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 39 05-25-2015 07:32 PM
OR | 2015, April 23-26: 2015 Spring NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering Donna D. Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 77 05-05-2015 10:03 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.