New axle for 2015 Scamp 13 - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #81

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Jacob,

I am glad the axle is properly repaired now and you can have good and safe travels. However you feel with Scamp and Lippert and the human beings that let you down I hope you can let it go and enjoy your travels.

I just bought a brand new truck, my first one in my 57 years and the USA factory couldn't manage to properly fill the front and rear axle, the automatic transmission, torque the leaf spring U bolts and grease the driveshaft. They spend millions if not billions on QC programs and can't get it right all the time. I felt left down too.

Maybe evolution will fix the human equation. I'm sure I won't see it in my lifetime.
Best wishes and safe travels.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #82

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobconroy View Post
Hi All, just wanted to post the "end" of this little saga.

During the "third mechanic" episode, he took it apart, cleaned it, and said, "I wonder if there is supposed to be three springs in here or two" (might have been three or four). I told him to stop and I'd find a blow-up diagram. Also told him to take the other side apart and compare them (he never did). At this point I don't remember if Scamp sent me an axle manual, or not. Looked again, couldn't find it on Lippert's site, sent a fairly nasty email to Scamp telling them that I'm done trying to fix it, I want the break assembly replaced (mechanic's suggestion). Scamp responded, "Lippert (or whomever) is sending one". I asked for expedited shipping and was quoted "~$125.00 bucks for overnight". I OK'd it. Parts arrived, and sure enough a spring was missing from the bottom-rear of the driver's side break assembly. There has clearly never been one on the original assembly (no marks, wear, etc.) Put the new assembly on, went on my trip. Problem solved. No heat, no squealing.

But, I was under the impression (from the syntax of emails from Scamp) that the parts were warrantied and I was to pay $125.00 for shipping. Today the invoice came in the mail. I was charged about $80.00 for overnight and about $45.00 for the assembly.

Breakdown: I was delivered a brand new trailer with a brake assembly that was hanging up for 1300 miles, then proceeded to tear my hair, pester people, and pay a total (including mechanic costs) of ~$355.00 to remedy the issue out of my own pocket for a $10 spring.

So, if you buy a new Scamp I suggest that you have some savings, a lot of free time, and no definite plans to use the camper for the first 10 months. The above is what really happened. For those of you that had "wonderful experiences" with Scamp I suppose that I envy you. I will not however, deal with them again. Your mileage may and hopefully will vary.

Thanks for the help and advice all!
Was the invoice from Lippert? If so, did you call and explain to them that it was a warranty issue?
Did you say that your mechanic didn't know whether there should be a spring in place and refused to look at the other side to check?
If you call Lippert axle they may reimburse you. call the number on the invoice and explain your situation.
BTW... A 30 second search brought up this picture....

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #83

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
But that's a hydraulic brake. A search on etrailer brings up plenty of electric brake pictures that can be enlarged. Their spring locations are different.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #84

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
But that's a hydraulic brake. A search on etrailer brings up plenty of electric brake pictures that can be enlarged. Their spring locations are different.
Actually you are right, I picked too hastily from a Dexter images page ...I'll fix it!
....now its the one I meant to click on thanx!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #85

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Thanks Floyd, I'm sure there are many here that don't know what their electric brakes look like. Now they can see just what is there.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #86

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
True, *I* don't know what electric brakes look like, but happen to be married to someone who will draw me a schematic of those (and every other mechanical operation) at the drop of a hat.

These are very detailed and informative, and are usually accompanied by a mini-lecture. Fortunately, I like learning about mechanical things.

But wine helps.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
axle, scamp