New axle for 2015 Scamp 13 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobconroy View Post
I didn't expect my post to generate this much buzz. There are quite a few posts above, but I read through them quickly and will try to address the highlights...

I'm not the sort of person that is interested in talking on the phone when it comes to something important. If you are going to make a promise, but won't write it down....something is wrong with the situation. I have all correspondence regarding this problem in writing (email).

I initially reported the problem about a month after receiving the camper. During the first round of emails, Mr. Scamp said, verbatim, "The trailer is under warranty although the axle is covered under the manufacturers warranty. Is the brakes sticking? Did you add grease to the hub? What is the best number to reach you at I will forward your message to lippert!"

This is why I put two pumps of grease into the nipple of each hub. I can't remember where I found the mention of 200 miles, but I will find it. By the way, I did include my phone number. Never heard from Lippert. At this point I became frustrated and dropped it, saying that I would take it to a mechanic.

Well, I started the emailing again last week. I'm a bit peeved that they put this off on me. More attempts to send me off somewhere to take care of it. This is BS. It's keeping me up nights and I'm on the verge of getting rid of the Scamp all together.

I agree that I need to take it to a mechanic, but who is a good mechanic? There is a trailer shop by Missoula, but that guy chewed by rear end for asking him to quote a custom off-road trailer once (and I mean he really laid into me). Him and I won't be doing any business.

I also agree that I will pay the mechanic out of my pocket because I have no choice. Ever wonder why Scamp demands a cashier's check upon delivery? Now I know. Oh, and when I ordered the delivery I expected they would trailer it. Later I found out they were pulling it over here (OK, at least we will know the axle works...right?). Later I found out that the guy that delivered it (very nice fellow and his wife) were just buddies with the Scamp people. I severely doubt that any maintenance was done. I was also told that when delivered the trailer would be "washed and like new". It was not. Covered in 1300 miles worth of bug guts and dirt. It's not so bad though. I only paid about $950.00 for this premium service.

The wheel in question might be a tad warmer than the other, but nothing burns me. I've checked.

I'll try to find someone to take a look at it in the next couple of weeks. It's no problem for me to miss a couple of hours at work to take my brand new trailer to some stranger so he can take it apart. Now, after that, regardless of what he says is broken or not....who is responsible for the axle now? It will be either Scamp, Lippert, Me, or random mechanic. I suspect it's always going to be me.

The last we spoke, Mr. Scamp quoted me an axle for a 15 foot Scamp. I replied and said that $700.00 isn't too much for me, but will it ruin my trailer?

No response. I am starting to think that my lawyer should become involved. The moment I let someone else work on that axle, I'll bet that is the end of the warranty. But hey, doesn't seem like the warranty is going to become worth worrying about.

In all likelihood this will be a simple fix, but I'd like some direction on the matter. Thank goodness for you folks.

Let me know if I didn't clarify anything. I will also post back once I find a mechanic that isn't likely to make my nightmares worse.
Any automotive or tire shop can repack wheel bearings and adjust brakes.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
New axle for 2015 Scamp 13

I would agree that Scamp isn't necessarily difficult to deal with. I just do not like being lied to or at the very least, misled. At least two Scamp employees directly lied to or misled me, and a third (Kent Eveland) failed to follow up on a promise. I sold my Scamp because I was fed up with all of the quality control (shoddy construction) issues which "left a bitter taste in my mouth." For example, shortly after leaving Backus I realized the trailer brakes were not functioning properly. Well, when the manufacturer fails to connect the ground wires on each hub to the frame the brakes simply aren't going to work. How can that be overlooked? And I didn't appreciate having to return to Backus from Florida (time consuming and expensive) one year later to have defective fiberglass repaired; that was not how I had planned to spend my limited vacation time. Or to have to properly reinstall both Fantastic Vents at a time I was trying to recover from rotator cuff surgery. As I stated in an earlier post, I fully understand the OP's frustration. I didn't have a single problem free camping trip in the 2-1/2 years I owned my Scamp and I probably spent more time fixing things between trips than I actually spent camping. To me, that's not enjoyable; it was discouraging and it made me wish I hadn't purchased the Scamp in the first place. It wasn't worth the aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #43

Name: Jacob
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16
Montana
Gordon2 - The original post clearly states that the quote was for a 16-foot Scamp axle, but thanks for the correction. Also, it is not my place to name Scamps employees on a public forum. I wouldn't want someone doing that to me. In my opinion, if a promise isn't written down, it didn't happen. Besides, they haven't made me any promises and I don't think that is likely to happen. Requiring a cashier's check means that I have absolutely no leverage regarding my newly purchased, defective, unit. I am now required to grovel and play phone/email tag indefinitely to resolve my problem. As for my demeanor, it does indeed take two to tango. Due to the fact that I'm upset about having a $15,000 dollar defective camper delivered to my door, and then am told to deal with the defect on my own...that clearly makes me a difficult customer. My communications with Scamp from the get-go have been polite and patient. However, they aren't answering many questions. When they do, the answers are not to my benefit. That's why I'm asking here.

CPW, you mentioned a brake problem and that reminds me...I can't get the brakes to lock up on this camper. My Tekonsha (spelling?) brake controller is calibrated by locking up the brakes at low speeds, then backing the power off. This process worked on the 16 foot Scamp we sold to purchase the new 13 but does not work on the 13. I figured this must be a "feature" and haven't given it much thought because I'm nervous about pulling the trailer as it is. Hmmmm. When I'm under there I'll check the ground wires. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you everyone for the input!
jacobconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #44

Montana
floyd- the Lippert dealer-finder you posted told me that there is an authorized dealer in Missoula...45 miles away! It's a big outfit too. Kindof ashamed that I didn't think of that.

I owe you a beer sir! Thank you.

I will call them and see if I can take it up there next week for a diagnosis.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #45

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... Also, it is not my place to name Scamps employees on a public forum. I wouldn't want someone doing that to me.
But if you are dealing with some underlings there, that could be part of your problem. Go to the head of the company, KENT EVELAND. There is no reason not to mention him by name regardless of your personal preference.

Quote:
Requiring a cashier's check means that I have absolutely no leverage regarding my newly purchased, defective, unit.
Paying by cashiers check has NO effect on the legality of your warranty. The warranty is cover by appropriate laws regardless of how payment is made so your leverage is intact, including the option to bring legal action to enforce the warranty. The issue is that many parts of the camper are not manufactured by Scamp and instead have separate warranties.

If Scamp properly installs a fridge but it fails while under warranty, your recourse is with the maker of the fridge and not Scamp.

So you need to establish what the problem is before you can decide who is responsible. It could be the axle manufacturer, it could be Scamp, and it could very well be the delivery people who did something, maybe even without realizing it.*

You insistence that Scamp is responsible is premature until you know what the issue is. It would be nice if Scamp provided more assistance, and it would also be good for their reputation which seems to be suffering as of late, but I am not jumping to the conclusion that the trailer left their shop with a defect.
--
* If damage was done in transit then you need to look delivery method and delivery contract as previously mentioned to figure out if Scamp of the contracted driver is responsible.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
.I can't get the brakes to lock up on this camper. My Tekonsha (spelling?) brake controller is calibrated by locking up the brakes at low speeds, then backing the power off. This process worked on the 16 foot Scamp we sold to purchase the new 13 but does not work on the 13. I figured this must be a "feature" and haven't given it much thought because I'm nervous about pulling the trailer as it is. Hmmmm. When I'm under there I'll check the ground wires. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you everyone for the input!
The Scamp13 is supplied with 7" brakes and not 10" brakes like on the Scamp16. Only 7" brakes are provided by the axle company for the axle capacity on the 13.
It is normal for 7" brakes not to achieve lockup in this application, they do however work as designed. The reason primarily is that the 7" brakes are closer to their rated capacity on the 13 and the 10" brakes are somewhat overkill on the 16.

Dexter says this...
BRAKES - Why can't I lock and slide my electric brakes?
On an unloaded trailer, you may be able to lock up your brakes if your electric brake controller is supplying full amperage to the brakes. When loaded to capacity, you may not be able to lock your brakes as electric brakes are designed to slow the trailer at a controlled rate, and not designed to lock up the wheels on a fully loaded trailer. Our brakes are designed to meet all applicable safety standards. All of our brakes will perform better after numerous burnish stops to seat the brake linings to the drums.

Hope this helps.
My Scamp13 has 7" brakes which have worked well and as designed for many years, but even after break in and adjustment can only reach "impending" lock up. Stopping is no problem, even in an emergency stop.
Properly adjusted, even a 16 should not actually lock up when using the foot brake, even in an emergency stop.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #47

North Carolina
Quote:
CPW, you mentioned a brake problem and that reminds me...I can't get the brakes to lock up on this camper. My Tekonsha (spelling?) brake controller is calibrated by locking up the brakes at low speeds, then backing the power off. This process worked on the 16 foot Scamp we sold to purchase the new 13 but does not work on the 13. I figured this must be a "feature" and haven't given it much thought because I'm nervous about pulling the trailer as it is. Hmmmm. When I'm under there I'll check the ground wires. Thanks for the tip...
I could not lock up the brakes on my 16 either and I hear that is not uncommon.
But do have the shop check that also. Nothing beat trained and experienced people to make sure you are safe.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #48

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
jacobconroy

you may want to read this
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...andService.pdf
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #49
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
When we picked up our 16 Deluxe in October we were told that if a problem required repair, we should contact Scamp and then if needed take it to a local shop Scamp would then pay for (reimburse us) covered repairs. Fortunately we had no problems on the 1800 mile trip home or since. The need to fill out paperwork for all mfg warranties was pointed out at that time. I hope you keep us posted on the outcome just in case we ever have a problem.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #50

Florida
So I'm NOT crazy, but don't ask the wife

SCAMP SAID:
Changing tire on trailer. Please never use the rear bumper jacks when changing a tire. Initial bearing check (200 miles) and lubing bearings.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/helpful-videos.html
written under Tires & Bearings
Old 12-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #51

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
There is no magic hokus pokus to trailer wheel bearings. They are just like most cars and trucks. Any automotive brake shop can adjust the bearing pre- load for you.
Mechanics have various methods to achieve proper pre-load and the result will vary a little. If a wheel bearing is squeaking, I would say it was loaded too tightly, which gets tighter when hot. I would not just loosen the bearing, as it probably suffered some heat damage. Bearings are cheap. The mechanic can do a visual inspection of the bearing and race to determine if replacement is necessary. Blue metal with streaking would be a bad sign. Shiny chrome like surface, good.
Any trailer owner should monitor the heat in newly installed hubs just by feeling them after some freeway miles. Your delivery man probably didn't do that if you are experiencing squeak and heat.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #52

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
SCAMP SAID:
Changing tire on trailer. Please never use the rear bumper jacks when changing a tire. Initial bearing check (200 miles) and lubing bearings.

What the video actually says: "Check the axle after the first 200 miles. Check the lug nuts, making sure they are not loose, and check the bearings for excessive heat." It's at about 1:05 in the video. That's it. Doesn't sound to me like a full bearing service or anything like that. Just a touch with the back of your hand to verify that they are running at normal temperatures.

Now if that wasn't done by the delivery driver, and if the hub was improperly assembled or there was a manufacturing defect in any of the internal parts causing excessive heat build-up, and if the driver kept going at freeway speeds for another 1100 miles, a lot of damage could be done. And it's hard to say where the blame would fall: Scamp or Lippert. But this is more speculation in advance of the facts.

I do empathize with the OP's situation. You don't expect to deal with repairs before you've even gotten to use a brand new trailer. I am looking forward to hearing the outcome.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #53

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
New axle for 2015 Scamp 13

Quote:
SCAMP SAID:

I very seriously doubt you would be able to use the rear bumper jacks Scamp installs on all of their trailers to change a tire, and I believe most Scamp owners here would concur. I know Floyd added BAL jacks to his Scamp 13 and he told me he can change a tire with them, but they are a whole lot different than Scamp's, which are really stabilizers, not jacks.

As far as getting trailer brakes to lock up, in some cases you may have to be on a "loose surface," e.g., a gravel road to get them to lock up to the point that they will skid. That has been my experience anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #54

Montana
EugeneFlorida, thanks for the link. i will start by reading it cover to cover.

And Floyd, thanks again. I can feel that the brakes or working when I use them and hadn't really expected there to be an issue.

M_C, if I had gotten at the very least...that statement out of Scamp all this could have been avoided. I know that they can't fix it from there, but some support aside from a telephone number and technical manual would have been what I consider to be "good customer service".

I'm tempted to read the manual, jack it up and see what's what. In the long run I would be better off understanding the axle and it's parts. Don't have the jacks though. I will contact Lippert and see if I can schedule a looksee at their dealer in Missoula. If they can fix it I'll just pay to have it done and drop the matter.

No matter what happens, I will post back in the hopes of saving the next new Scamp owner some grief.

Thanks for the input yall. I'm learning quite a bit.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #55

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
SCAMP SAID:

Which means check bearings after first 200 miles. There is nothing about bearings lubing after 200 miles. Just after regular scheduled intervals 10-12K miles.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #56

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If it is the bearings squealing because they were adjusted too tight or not greased properly then you should have a new set installed. they are cheap and abused bearings would be a worry for me.
It should not be a big deal to replace bearings and should not take long or cost much either.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #57

Florida
Initial bearing check (200 miles)
and
lubing bearings.

written under Tires & Bearings Video

I took it as.... they did not say it in the video so they put (and LUBING BEARING) in the Foot notes.

what do I know
Old 12-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #58

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes... The video also addresses lubing the bearings- annually, not at 200 miles. The initial bearing check (at 200 miles for temperature) and lubing the bearings (annually or at 10-12K intervals) are two separate issues addressed in the video.

Hafta say... Scamp's website could use a good editor. That caption could be misleading, and one of the others has instructions to care for the "jell-coat."
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #59

North Carolina
Quote:
,..if I had gotten at the very least...that statement out of Scamp all this could have been avoided. I know that they can't fix it from there, but some support aside from a telephone number and technical manual would have been what I consider to be "good customer service"....
Looks like I am going to beat a dead horse here.. but here goes.
I sent a polite two page letter outlining a number of issues with my brand new Scamp (Sept 2015) to the company president, Kent Eveland, and within a day of him receiving it, I had a detailed point-by-point reply addressing each item.

We have subsequently exchanged many emails which for the most part were about a cosmetic flaw in my counter-top. While I felt like he was hesitant to approve a repair until the unit was inspected in person by a local to me shop (as opposed to just seeing photos), I never felt like he was not supportive. In fact he offered a good amount of support in the way of advice and information at least.

And there are many people who have been very happy with the service there, although there are plenty who were not also, for reasons I cannot explain.

That name again in case you need it is Kent Eveland, President, Evelands DBA Scamp Trailers.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #60

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Yes... The video also addresses lubing the bearings- annually, not at 200 miles. The initial beating check (at :200 miles for temperature) and lubing the bearings (annually or at 10-12K intervals) are two separate issues addressed in the video.

Hafta say... Scamp's website could use a good editor. That caption could be misleading, and one of the others has instructions to care for the "jell-coat."
My recommendation of repacking and adjustment after initial break in, was drawn from experience with best practices and has nothing to do with manufacturer's recommendations. They would (of course) assume that they assembled the axle correctly... I confirm it.
Some folks repack every year, so what could be wrong with starting out right? Its just one extra repack in the life of the trailer... maybe the most important one.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp