New axle for 2015 Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Name: Jacob
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16
Montana
New axle for 2015 Scamp 13

Hi Folks,
I've been lurking here for a year or two and am in need of some help/advice. My Wife and I custom ordered a brand new Scamp this spring and took possession in August of this year. We payed to have it delivered to MT (1300 miles) and when it was delivered there was a squealing noise coming from the left hand wheel of the trailer. The delivery person told me that it was just dust in the brakes, and not to worry about it.

I took it on a 100 mile camping trip and found that the squealing starts after about 10 miles and stops after the trailer cools. I don't think it's dust. Something is wrong. I greased the axle but have no idea if the delivery person greased it (as directed by Scamp) after 200 miles during the 1300 mile trip. My feeling is that it was not greased until I greased it. If this is so, will the axle ever be right again?

Scamp is giving me the run around. They have told me that I need to work it out with the axle manufacturer. Another choice is to take it to a mechanic and pay out of my own pocket. I just can't believe this. It's a brand new trailer! It seems we are on our own. Scamp is not even willing to tell me how to troubleshoot the squealing.

We were so excited to buy a new Scamp. This experience has ruined it. I don't trust the axle and am always worrying about how much it will cost when the wheel locks up and I need to call a flatbed. Most of the caulk joints inside and outside of the trailer are over 1/4 inch wide with 1/2 inch of very messily applied caulk. We are not pleased.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Does anyone have any advice on purchasing a new aftermarket axle for my brand new Scamp? It shipped with a Lippert, so nearly all of the Internet documentation for brackets/etc will not apply. Scamp wants $700.00 for an axle from a 16 foot (to raise it up while we are at it) and I'm sure a shop is going to charge $500.00 to cut off the Lippert brackets and fabricate new ones.

Any advice on how to get our trailer into a reliable state would be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
I am sorry to read about your experance with Scamp.

My suggestion is to take the trailer to a auto brake shop, and ask them to pull the hubs and checking the hubs,bearings, and the brakes.

It shouldn't cost all that much, and with a written inspection report, you will have information to deal with Scamp. However, I doubt that the axle will need replacing.

If there is damage, then Scamp should pay for the inspection and all repairs.

Good luck,

Bill

Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Please explain what you mean when you say "I greased the axle." Are you talking about the bearings? Did you just add some grease or did you take the bearings out and repack them?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote: "I greased the axle but have no idea if the delivery person greased it (as directed by Scamp) after 200 miles during the 1300 mile trip."

If correct, I find this unconscionable on the part of Scamp that they are selling a new trailer that isn't ready-to-go. Even the Model-T Ford could be towed further than that for delivery without additional service required.

Are there any new Scamp owners out there that were told this when they took delivery at the factory or when their new Scamp was delivered on a flat bed truck of some sort?

I would take it to a shop that specializes in trailer (not necessarily RV's) repair and have them evaluate the condition of the axle. (That should cost a lot less than $100.) Then send the report and the inspection bill to Scamp and see where that goes.

But again, where did this "Grease after 200 miles" come from and what does it mean to have done? Is there anything in writing? Does the axle mfg. concur with that requirement?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post

If there is damage, then Scamp should pay for the inspection and all repairs.
Well this could be a gray area. If Evelands damaged something then yes, they are responsible. However if it is a manufacturing defect on a component that they do not make, then they are probably not. Still, in the spirit of good customer service they should still assist you in obtaining warranty coverage from the manufacturer of the component, in this case the axle and associated parts (including bearings and brakes) that are sold to Evelands as one unit.

Here are the pertinent excerpts from the warranty statement:

Eveland's Inc. d/b/a SCAMP (hereafter referred to as "SCAMP") warrants to the original purchaser of its products that the products manufactured by it will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for a period of one (1) year after date of sale...

Products or components not manufactured by SCAMP but merely resold by SCAMP are not covered by this limited warranty. These products carry their own warranties through their original manufacturers. However, SCAMP will extend to purchasers any warranties provided to SCAMP by the original manufacturer.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A quick search shows that some Lippert torsion axles have a grease fitting to pump grease into the bearings, similar to the Dexter axles. There also seems to be a lot of problems with the Lippert axles that they won't warranty, bearing failures being one of them. Perhaps a poor quality bearing being used. Best option at this time would be to have an experienced mechanic pull the hubs and locate the actual problem. Hopefully nothing more than a bad bearing, misadjusted brake shoe, or loose or broken brake part. I would not use this trailer until the problem is resolved.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
The squealing could be something in the brake assembly. A small rock or debris inside the drum or a brake shoe that is rubbing on the drum or sticking could be the problem. Either of these would be easier to resolve than an axle. Did you check the hub to see if it was hot?

I'm shocked at Scamp's response to your problem. First thing I would do is remove the wheel and drum for an inspection. Scamp should recommend a place to take the trailer and be willing to pay a shop for this service. You might need a new axle but I suspect it is a much smaller problem than an axle. I would call Scamp and talk to someone in management.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

But again, where did this "Grease after 200 miles" come from and what does it mean to have done? Is there anything in writing? Does the axle mfg. concur with that requirement?
Well my Lippert axle manual says to check the brakes after 200 miles but it does not mention the bearings.

While my 2015 owners manual does not mention 200 mile bearing check, a prior Scamp manual says this:

Bearings: After initial purchase the bearings should be checked after the first 200 miles, and every year or 5000 miles thereafter. Initial check can be done by listening for unusual noise and checking the hub for unusual high temperature (hub should not get so hot that it can not be touched). To inspect, remove grease cap and visually inspect bearing for grease content. Every 12000 miles bearings should be cleaned and checked for pitting or flat spots. If good, repack and reinstall, otherwise replace.

Bearings do sometimes fail after initial install or replacement, which is why it is good advice to keep a closer eye on them in the first 200 miles. I know that when I got my Scamp a few months ago i stopped twice in the first 200 miles and checked the wheels and bearings for excessive heat. Thats the kind of thing that a concerned new owner does, but a guy who is getting paid (maybe not enough) to just delivery the trailer might not do. That is one problem with having a trailer delivered.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I'm shocked at Scamp's response to your problem.

I'm not. I owned a Scamp and based on my experience with Scamp's customer service this is the exact response I would expect. I can fully understand the OP's dissatisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I'm not. I owned a Scamp and based on my experience with Scamp's customer service this is the exact response I would expect. I can fully understand the OP's dissatisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
I can understand is dissatisfaction too. It might be a very small problem like a loose brake magnet or a bearing retaining nut that is too tight that could be easily be remedied for a few dollars. I'm shocked again.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:02 AM   #11

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
The wheel bearings should be inspected,hand repacked, and adjusted after the first 500 or so miles.
I'm 600miles from the factory and so that's how far my new trailer went before its first repack.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 AM   #12

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Really?? Must be kidding.
How do you adjust bearings?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Sure sounds like a brake issue to me but I am surprised with Scamps reply to it. Hopefully we'll get an answer to what it is.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Really?? Must be kidding.
How do you adjust bearings?
Righty tighty, lefty loosy Glenn .

Tags
axle, scamp