New Ford Ranger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
New Ford Ranger

Details are starting to come out about the new Ford Ranger so I thought it would be an interesting topic considering we put off buying a truck due to not finding one that made us happy.

TFL Ford Ranger video
https://youtu.be/odAxap0f5bU

So last year we had it narrowed down to the Chevy / GMC canyon with diesel or the F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost the GMC fit and finish felt cheaper than the F150 and we loved the F150 other that it being so huge.

We decided to hold off and think about it for a while and see what came of the new Ranger. Our hope was that the interior comfort would be better than the GMC and that they would offer it with the 2.7 v6 ecoboost or a diesel option as well as a slightly larger tow / payload capacity than the GMC.

We just happened to return from Mexico where we had the opportunity to look at several of the Rangers offered there and we we're really excited about the upcoming Ranger.

However with the specs for the one coming to the US that I have seen so far it is a bit disappointing.

Only one motor option the 4cyl 2.3 ecoboost. While this is a great motor the output as used in other vehicles is just slightly above the V6 of the GMC and well below the Diesel offering from GMC.

I understand it has turbos and that it has proven to be a solid motor in other platforms but it is still a 4 cyl that they really pushing to get that power. The more power you ring out of something and the harder you push it will reduce the life and up the maintenance in my experience.

According to TFL this will be the only motor and will likely remove if from contention for our new vehicle as the GMC 6 cyl.

My guess as to why they went with the 4 cyl is that they did not want competition between the F150 and the Ranger which is unfortunate as this could have been the truck for us.

What are you thoughts on the details so far?
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
We are presently near Puerto Vallarta and were at the Ford Dealer last week looking at vehicles.
The new Ranger is a very nice looking truck and not a bad tow for a small trailer.
I, like you, had some fears about the Ecoboost.
We have an F-150 with 2.7 Ecoboost. The truck is rated for a 7500 lb tow. We also carry stuff in the truck. It is a 4x4.
Initially I was thinking it would be around for two years max thinking it would be “worn out”.
We have been towing our Bigfoot 25 with front storage compartment everywhere and up and down everything. This truck continues to amaze us how competent it is. It hasn’t given us a hiccup, burp or a fart. Very impressive and the fuel economy is amazing. We use the pickup for the RV Service Business when we aren’t towing and it does very well.
Before the F-150 we had two 2015 GMC Canyons. They had the direct injection 4 cylinder engines. In the first year we had them they each had six recalls. Also, the fuel economy was deplorable. We were so happy to have those trucks in our rear view mirror!
This isn’t meant to bash GM but, in our case, going to the 2.7 Ecoboost in the F-150 has been absolutely the right decision. The size of our F-150s is not the crewcab. We use the SuperCab or cab and a half. It still has four doors and seats up to 6. We just use it for the two of us.
I was raised on GM’s and always a fan. After the poor quality, poor fuel economy and endless recalls, we will never buy another GM vehicle period!
Maybe look at the F-150 with 2.7. It may surprise you as it did for us.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The 2.3L ecoboost would be my first choice, but I also love the 2.7.
The good news is that the lowest priced truck will have as much power as the Lariat. This means the engine/drivetrain is not a factor when dealing on a new truck. My concern is that it will be too large. Too bad they don't make a regular cab shortbox.
I'll have to see and touch this new truck to see if the Ranger really is back.

Being guilty on occasion myself when it comes to new technology, I can understand your Luddite position on 4CYL engines, but this ain't your grampa's model "A".
I remember when they put grain truck engines in Chevelles and pretended that they were performance cars.
The idea that displacement is the key to performance is something that died in the seventies.
40 years ago people were refusing 6CYL engines as just not strong enough to compete with a V8. It is funny to hear the same argument today touting the superiority of the V6!.
I drove I6 engines and took the flack 40 years ago and they proved to outwork and outlast their V8 counterparts.
My advice is to hold your judgement, study a while, then at least drive them both before writing your check.
At any rate, the world of vehicles is not static, a lot is likely to change after introduction. It would not surprise me that Ford will discover that many of the Ranger fanatics have moved on if the truck doesn't meet their expectations... Remember the Probe was gonna be the new Mustang?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I like the new Ranger but the ground clearance and bed walls looked a little low for a truck. Maybe that's just a false illusion due to the angle of the photograph or Ford is trying to appeal to the SUV crowd who don't like the truck look.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Floyd have you seen the limited mustang ford is bringing out. 163mph top speed!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #6

Colorado
I have not written it off completely just bummed that they did not offer it with a diesel or a v6.

From my research the Colorado / canyon with the V6 struggles to tow an escape 5.0 TA and the power is not much different than what I have seen mentioned for the 2.3.

Granted the 2.3 is turbo charged and will spin faster so we will see
Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post

bob

THE BULLET Mustang ! !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
It remains to be seen if the 2.3L is the best powerplant for the Ranger, or whether a single engine choice is going to hurt it. But having said that, I think Ford knows what they're doing. I too would have liked to see the 2.7L V6 but I think the OP is right - they need to differentiate it from the F150. Maybe if sales take off they will then offer other engine options.

As others have said, the 2.7L EcoBoost is one great little engine. The power, torque and acceleration continue to impress me 3 years in, every time I drive the truck.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #9

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Ranger diesel

My understanding is that Ford will be offering a diesel in the F 150 next year. That my be the reason they do not want a small diesel in the Ranger.
Jerryteits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #10

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
I have not written it off completely just bummed that they did not offer it with a diesel or a v6.

From my research the Colorado / canyon with the V6 struggles to tow an escape 5.0 TA and the power is not much different than what I have seen mentioned for the 2.3.

Granted the 2.3 is turbo charged and will spin faster so we will see
Take a look at the Escape Trailer Forum . There are several members there who tow the Escape 5.0 and Escape 5.0 TA with a Colorado /Canyon and are quite happy . In fact If I am reading the Escape forum correctly, you can tow an Escape 5th wheel with any truck on the market regardless of make or drive train.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #11

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
The new F150 that is going to get a diesel is rated at towing 11,000 plus pounds and they say it will get 30 mpg on the highway.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #12

NW Wisconsin
Diesel fuel in my area is now running almost $1 / Gal higher in cost or a little over 40% more than regular gasoline.
Considering the fuel mileage of the current F150 Eco Boost , you will never recover the added cost of the diesel engine with fuel savings. Plus the Eco Boost has great torque at low RPM,s similar to a diesel.
I for one don't see a reason for all the excitement but this won't be the first time I've been fooled !!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Take a look at the Escape Trailer Forum . There are several members there who tow the Escape 5.0 and Escape 5.0 TA with a Colorado /Canyon and are quite happy . In fact If I am reading the Escape forum correctly, you can tow an Escape 5th wheel with any truck on the market regardless of make or drive train.
The ones I have seen that have been happy are the ones with the Duramax and several people with the V6 have said they want to upgrade to the Duramax due to performance of the V6
Old 01-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
steve my feelings exactly then after warranty try to have that thing worked on big bux!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I like the new Ranger but the ground clearance and bed walls looked a little low for a truck. Maybe that's just a false illusion due to the angle of the photograph or Ford is trying to appeal to the SUV crowd who don't like the truck look.
I sure hope you're right!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Diesel fuel in my area is now running almost $1 / Gal higher in cost or a little over 40% more than regular gasoline.
Considering the fuel mileage of the current F150 Eco Boost , you will never recover the added cost of the diesel engine with fuel savings. Plus the Eco Boost has great torque at low RPM,s similar to a diesel.
I for one don't see a reason for all the excitement but this won't be the first time I've been fooled !!
I'm kind of on the same page. Having towed with the EcoBoost, I see no need for the diesel here, since the fuel is much more expensive, and you'd have to pay an extra 4K for the diesel engine.

In any case, I think a diesel buyer would simply get it because they like diesel engines, but not because the total cost of ownership is lower. It won't be.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post

bob
Oh! you mean the slow one?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
The ones I have seen that have been happy are the ones with the Duramax and several people with the V6 have said they want to upgrade to the Duramax due to performance of the V6
Now that you mention it what ever happened to the Isuzu brand?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #19

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Now that you mention it what ever happened to the Isuzu brand?
My Mom had an Isuzu sewing machine years ago .
If I remember correctly she got rid of it because it was always in the repair shop .
Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #20

Colorado
I could care less about the diesel just want something that is good at towing and I do not want to feel like I am beating on it to go up the mountains.