New Forester, First Outing - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hello Myron, how are things in the old country( I grew up in central Jersey). I don't want to start the " can it tow a ..." debate since we know where that goes but if I had a 16 ft, I would want an Outback over a Forester.

Roger I can't see a reason the Hill holder would have any effect on the throwout bearing. The only time the hh is an issue is when you want to start on a steep hill with the trailer and need to slip the clutch to start. Only the clutch plate and the flywheel are effected.

Bobby, to get my tongue weight down I stored the front table (15 lb) on the back bed and put my travel tools (5 lbs) in the tow vehicle behind the front seat. I am at about 200 lbs before we add water to the tank. To seriously lower my tongue weight I would move the battery behind trailer axle. Luckily I didn't need to do that.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
Forester towing Lil Snoozy

We just got home from picking up our new Lil Snoozy with our 4cyl 2010 automatic Forester. Going over 800 miles on interstates and thru the Smokies and Kentucky here is our mileage.

Towing: 16-17 mpg averaging 60-65mph
No tow: 26-27 mpg averaging 70-75mph

Tows like a champ.

Dave

Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #31

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Just watched a how-to video on installing your $175 class 3 hitch, from etrailer accessories, online. Very informative, if daunting. Subaru sure don’t make it simple.

Got to drop the muffler down 4-5 inches, remove a heat shield, drill holes, snake in bolts, then after trimming the heat shield, bolt things into place, and you’re done. Makes me wonder about that thin unibody metal you slip the bolts through. So if without free access to a lift, (who does?) you do it on your back, upside down, after safely jacking up and propping the car a foot or two off the ground.

Bad news is then you need to convert the standard 4 pin to match the Scamp’s 7 pin.
Good news is my Scamp’s tongue weight, according to original manufacturer specs, dry, is 120 pounds,. I’ll be well within the 300 pound Outback max. My bathroom scale weighed in at um, 170, I think, so no worries.

More good news, Raz....... we hope soon to kiss NJ goodbye...moving to NM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #32
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post

More good news, Raz....... we hope soon to kiss NJ goodbye...moving to NM.
I understand. Just remember, you can also kiss good Pizza goodbye. Here's my install.
Subaru Forester Wired and Hitched
Old 08-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #33

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE="Roger C H"]Getting back to Hill Holders, wouldn't the HH be bad for the throw-out bearing in the clutch
/QUOTE]

Roger I think Subaru has that covered. The 3 I had with the hill holders spent most of their lives living on a big hill so that feature was used for the majority of their use :-) & all went many miles but none ever needed any clutch repairs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #34

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer
Something I don't understand on all the tongue-weight issues. If you have a single axle trailer why not just redistribute the weight? Or is too much of it fixed in some of these trailers for that to help?
The issue is that although you can redistribute the weight to keep the tongue weight within the spec you also need to keep the tongue weight at a percentage of your total weight that is safe to avoid sway issues. I have weighed my 16' many times & it's packed very light - no AC no water no microwave etc & the lightest axle weight I have been able to achieve is 2300lbs axle weight so 10 percent on the tongue would be 230lbs which is over the 200 lb Subaru spec. Subaru does say you can go to 8 percent which I do & have not had any sway issues but I never go over 60 mpg as its a good bet if I did there would be a sway issue going downhill or over dumps. If traveling on freeways I will admit to pushing the tongue weight up over the Subaru specs - by about 40lbs or so ;-) if I wanted to do more than 60 mpg I know the tongue would need to go up in weight more than that to avoid sway.

As I said the car handles the trailer well but I know from having put many miles on my set up that having the ability to put a little more weight on the tongue would give an even better/safer tow. Thus why when asked I will suggest to those considering towing with a Subaru Outback that they keep it to a 13' for a *real good* safe solid tow.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #35

British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=
I’ll be well within the 300 pound Outback

NM.[/QUOTE]

300lbs ? Really? What model year do you have? If true That would be great news for me as it means I can stick with Subaru when I replace my current one,
Old 08-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #36

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1997 16' and 2012 13' Scamp
Raleigh area, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavArl View Post
We just got home from picking up our new Lil Snoozy with our 4cyl 2010 automatic Forester. Going over 800 miles on interstates and thru the Smokies and Kentucky here is our mileage.

Towing: 16-17 mpg averaging 60-65mph
No tow: 26-27 mpg averaging 70-75mph

Tows like a champ.

Dave
Dave,

You mileage is right in line with mine. Drove 1400 miles to Backus from Raleigh NC to pick up a 13' Scamp and 1500 back. My tow vehicle is a 2009 Forester Turbo. Going thru the smokies and mostly interstates.

No tow: 27 mpg, 65-70 mph
Towing 1500lb scamp: 17 mpg, 60-65 mph

I am using a Factory class II hitch. Installs behind bumper "cover" and rides somewhat higher that aftermarket hitches. A little pricey (although I got mine used and saved half). Brakes on trailer and controller on car.

Handles fine.

Ches
Old 08-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #37

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
300lbs ? Really? What model year do you have? If true That would be great news for me as it means I can stick with Subaru when I replace my current one,
I just re-checked and it's news to me, too.

According to the official Subaru site the 2013 Outback Premium is available with a hitch rated max. tow of 2,700 lbs with the 2.5KL engine and/or 3,000 lbs. with the 3.6L engine, ...but .....only 200 lbs max. tongue weight, (for both, I guess, since they don't say). They also do not say what class is the dealer supplied hitch.

Can't find where I saw that 300 lb tongue weight data. Maybe wishful thinking? I know someplace I saw the 2012 Subaru dealer hitch was limited to a Class l.

My Scamp has no frig, no a/c, no sink, or shower. I also removed the big awning. By the way, if anyone wants it you can have it for peanuts.

Towing with my '96 Tahoe I hardly know Scamp is back there. If we get the Subaru I will however, hook up brakes.