New frame costs, etc? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
New frame costs, etc?

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what it costs to have a new frame constructed?

I've seen $1500 mentioned for a 13' frame by someone here who's had several made for his client's projects, and IIRC, powdercoating was about another $300 on top of that. I know a few people have had frames made, wondering if that $1500 is typical, or if I should expect to pay a lot more?

What'd you pay? Did it include finishing? (Painting/powdercoating) Did it include the axle? Did you have any input on design/sizing?

Im finding online that the older Casitas are known for having problems with the stacked square tube frame. (Rust out where the tubes touch. Can't paint/maintain between the tubes.) My wife and I are contemplating a frame-off reno of our '81 Casita, but starting to think it might be worth a new frame while we're at it if we're going to do all that work on the cabin anyway. Current frame is in need of tires and an axle with brakes, thinking I might have a bolt-on axle put on this year, and spend the year camping and figuring out exactly what we want, and then pull the body off next fall.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Seems like it would be more practical to get a new frame and new axle at the same time. Just my opinion.

I bet you have a lot of welders and welding shops around your area, that could look at it and work up an estimate. It's possible that there could be a wide variation in total cost, depending on what welders charge in different parts of the country. If you have any Amish near you, you might get a really good deal if you take it to them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I would call the Casita factory.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Tom Young from Trillium gave me a price of $1750 a bit more then 2 years ago.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post277782
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #5

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Seems like it would be more practical to get a new frame and new axle at the same time. Just my opinion.
Absolutely would be. But I need/want to camp this year, and really don't want the body apart until after this season. (Trying to figure out exactly what I want to do for my rebuild as I use it this year.) But, I need an axle now. Easiest solution seems to be do a bolt on axle now, and bolt it onto a new frame next year if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
I would call the Casita factory.
Casita factory told me they would not sell me a frame/axle by itself.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote