New Member Desires Info On Goodyear Marathon 15s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Standard
What a great forum--What a great resource for someone like me, a freshman in the trailer world who's about to pick up a new Casita 17 in October, but also someone who's read here and there about a lot of tire difficulties.

It's difficult not to be concerned about this ongoing problem.

I'm just wondering: What's the latest news concerning the performance and survivability of the Marathon 15s the Casita factory is now offering?

Thanks To All

James P M
James P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
What a great forum--What a great resource for someone like me, a freshman in the trailer world who's about to pick up a new Casita 17 in October, but also someone who's read here and there about a lot of tire difficulties.

I'm just wondering: What's the latest news concerning the performance and survivability of the Marathon 15s the Casita factory is now offering?

Thanks To All

James P M
Keep the tire pressure up and the speed reasonable and you should have no problems,
for peace of mind you might replace them every 5 years or 25 thousand miles or so.
You will want to touch check the bearing/brake temp as a regular habit, with a quick visual inspection of the tires each time.
I do this every fill-up. If you prevent or catch a problem early, you won't even remember it!

Tires , like everything else can fail without warning, but it just seems to happen a lot more often with neglect![lol]
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #3

Hi Floyd,

Thanks so much for the quick and timely reply. I will of course take all precautions....

I'd sure appreciate some feedback on these new Goodyear Marathon 15s that Casita is now offering..........Does anyone have any experience with those yet?

ie. Are they any more dependable than the old Marathon 14s??

Or am I just going to have to show up at the factory in October with some new Kumhos? Or Maxxis??

I'd sure appreciate tales of woe or joy from those more experienced-- and that's pretty much everybody out there

Thanks

James
future Casita 17er
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Quote:
Hi Floyd,

Thanks so much for the quick and timely reply. I will of course take all precautions....

I'd sure appreciate some feedback on these new Goodyear Marathon 15s that Casita is now offering..........Does anyone have any experience with those yet?

ie. Are they any more dependable than the old Marathon 14s??

Or am I just going to have to show up at the factory in October with some new Kumhos? Or Maxxis??

I'd sure appreciate tales of woe or joy from those more experienced-- and that's pretty much everybody out there

Thanks

James
future Casita 17er

I ran tens of thousands of miles over a four year period on two sets of 15" Marathons. The trailer had four tires and weighed 5500 lbs loaded. There was never a failure or problem with the tires. I had one slow leak flat in Alaska and that was from a rusty piece of wire or nail. I choose to continue to run Marathons.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I ran tens of thousands of miles over a four year period on two sets of 15" Marathons. The trailer had four tires and weighed 5500 lbs loaded. There was never a failure or problem with the tires. I had one slow leak flat in Alaska and that was from a rusty piece of wire or nail. I choose to continue to run Marathons.
My 13 marathon's were in good shape after 25000 miles and 4years.
After much research I chose Carlisle Radials to replace them and have not regretted that choice.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The Tire code that is molded into the sidewall of the tire.

4 numbers with the first 2 being the week the tire was made and the last 2 being the year.

2509 = 25th week of year 2009.

Look for it and U will know it when U C it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:

Thanks To All

James P M
The Marathon 15" are Load Range "D" which is rated for a higher weight carrying capacacity .... much better than the Marathon 14" Load Range "C". I haven't heard anyone complain about them yet but they are fairly new to Casita... keep them aired up correctly and they should be fine unless someone knows more info on the subject.
(It's awful hot out today so heres a little forum air conditioning
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
The Marathon 15" are Load Range "D" which is rated for a higher weight carrying capacacity .... much better than the Marathon 14" Load Range "C". I haven't heard anyone complain about them yet but they are fairly new to Casita... keep them aired up correctly and they should be fine unless someone knows more info on the subject.
(It's awful hot out today so heres a little forum air conditioning
Joe
Thanks Joe : I haven't heard many complaints either, but I've read somewhere else that-- with these new Marathons-- Casita is now using a wheel whose "rim width" is only 5 inches... whereas for a 15 inch tire the rim width measurement should be at least 5.5 inches. I've heard that 5 inches is OK for a 14-- but not a 15. I'd like to find out if that's what's really happening at the factory. Alas, Casita has shut down-- summer vacation till the 13th of this month.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I just put two new ones on my Horizon, and I had them on my Scamp that I sold with no problems.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
To Brian B-P
Received your PM on this topic but can't get back to you with a PM as it says "Your Inbox Is Full" thank you for that info
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I would go with the 15" Load Range D tires and not worry about them. That's what I'm doing with my OEM 14" Load Range C tires, now with 8,800 miles on them. I'm shooting for that 25,000 miles mentioned above before I jump over to the "bigger, better" bandwagon.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
I would go with the 15" Load Range D tires and not worry about them. That's what I'm doing with my OEM 14" Load Range C tires, now with 8,800 miles on them. I'm shooting for that 25,000 miles mentioned above before I jump over to the "bigger, better" bandwagon.
Yes, I'd love to be able to do that, and perhaps I'll be able to-- after I get an answer from Casita about which wheel-rim measurement they're now using.

Also: At first glance, it appears that fewer of the Casita Liberty models are involved in blowout incidents and other kinds of early tire failure.... But I wonder: Is that because of the Liberty's built-in difference in load distribution (the galley being split rather than having all appliances and features on the starboard side as in Spirit and Freedom designs)-- or is it because there actually are fewer Libertys out there roaming around?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #13

I've never seen a comparison of the side to side weights of the various Casita models, and haven't tracked the tire failures by model so that's a good question that I don't have any idea about. While I hope my 14" C tires will continue to provide good service, a failure is certainly possible any time for any reason. It just comes with the territory!

But in a couple of weeks we'll be at 10,000+ miles and 22 months on our original 14" Goodyears, and knock on wood, it will be without a failure.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #14

Quote:
I've never seen a comparison of the side to side weights of the various Casita models, and haven't tracked the tire failures by model so that's a good question that I don't have any idea about. While I hope my 14" C tires will continue to provide good service, a failure is certainly possible any time for any reason. It just comes with the territory!

But in a couple of weeks we'll be at 10,000+ miles and 22 months on our original 14" Goodyears, and knock on wood, it will be without a failure.
That's encouraging to hear, especially for a future Casita Liberty 17 owner like me. I wish I had the time to go back through various post on various forums and make a count of just which models had the greatest number of tire problems, and the types of trouble experienced, and so on... but maybe there are just too many other variables for that level of anecdotal stuff to be useful at all. I don't know. But I do know that-- after reading all the tales of disaster from other Casita owners-- I'll be paying more attention than the average newbie to weights and measures.

Hopefully there are more positive tales out there, like yours. Also, maybe a few more Liberty 16 and 17 folks will have something to add.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #15

Greetings from Ft Bragg CA, on our way to the Bullard's Beach Gathering, with nearly another 1,000 miles put on our stock tires over the past three days.

I think tire failures tend to get reported, and trouble-free tires are not reported. It's certainly an important topic, and getting load range D tires as an option is a good idea, but I think without a random survey of Casita owners on their tire experiences, anecdotal experiences posted in the forums (including mine!) should be taken with a grain of salt.

We love the Liberty configuration for our usage habits, by the way - good choice!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #16

Yes, we figure the Liberty is just right for us, too....

I did forget to broach the subject of valve stems, Pat. I take it your "stock" tires now have metal stems?? Regardless of which tires I take, can the stems be changed over at the factory?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #17

James, sorry for the late reply but we're on the road and WiFi is scarce. We have rubber stems (like all my vehicles for the last 40 years), and they are functioning just fine. In fact, sitting in my garage my Casita tires rarely need to have air added between trips.

If I were getting a new Casita I would get the 15" load range D tires with whatever stem they come with, and motor on down the road!

Now at 2,200 miles on the current trip, and I had to add 1-2 pounds of air to each tire yesterday. Total miles traveled, about 10,500 with these 14" Goodyear tires.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #18

Hi Pat, and thanks for taking time out from your road adventures to answer.

From all I've been able to find out, metal stems are standard now on the Marathon 15 D tires offered as an option on the new Casita.... and I'm going to give 'em a try.

Bien Viaje!!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #19

According to posts by others on a couple of other forums, as of last week Casita was still sending out trailers with the new 225 15inch tire option on wheels of the wrong width, wheels of 5 inch rim width... which is too small for a tire that size.

Apparently folks are hearing several different updated explanations from the factory....

Does anyone out there have any newer, more solid information?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I talked to Harold at Casita yesterday because I have a delivery date in late Oct for my 17SD. Harold said that as of the last week of August, all 15" tires are on 6" rims and there are even stickers on the rims stating they are 6" rims. Sounds like they have done the right thing in a timely fashion.
Viron Barbay is offline   Reply With Quote