New Michelin tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
New Michelin tires

Check this out
Michelin New Tire Design
just think no more flats, air valves,compressor,repair kits. I wonder if trailer tires will be available?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
If that'll help avoid blowing off my sewer valves (both the black & the grey lines) like I did this summer with those bleepin' Marathons, I'm all for it!

I do sorta suspect that when cars come with those, there will be no such thing as a spare tire, hence lighter cars, hence better MPG

I can see a major issue in development of them being temperature-related : minus 40* in Winnipeg may not be good for them!

Police will hate them - a "spike belt" won't stop "runners"
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Maybe the police will have to start to use super glue on the strips or some other method?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
There are other issues with them as well in that they trap snow and mud in the openings, causing severe out of balance problems.
It is my understanding they are working with the military to try to prove the design.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I do sorta suspect that when cars come with those, there will be no such thing as a spare tire, hence lighter cars, hence better MPG
The base 2010 Malibu had a spare tire as an option. Instead of a spare they simply came with a "Fix-a-flat bottle" and an air compressor. I was sure glad our model had the spare tire or we would have been in real trouble when we picked up a piece of metal in the sidewall. It was Sunday evening in the middle of nowhere and the spare got us home just fine - don't know what we would have done with a bottle of Fix-a-flat and a tire that couldn't be fixed. The new doughnut spare was rated at 3000 miles at no more than 65mph - quite an improvement over the first ones.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
The base 2010 Malibu had a spare tire as an option. Instead of a spare they simply came with a "Fix-a-flat bottle" and an air compressor. I was sure glad our model had the spare tire or we would have been in real trouble when we picked up a piece of metal in the sidewall. It was Sunday evening in the middle of nowhere and the spare got us home just fine - don't know what we would have done with a bottle of Fix-a-flat and a tire that couldn't be fixed. The new doughnut spare was rated at 3000 miles at no more than 65mph - quite an improvement over the first ones.
I could see where if a person used their car only in and around the city, and if they are the kind of person who would always call AAA when they have a problem, then deleting the spare might work okay.

Interesting that my brother's Chevy Colorado pickup came with a donut spare, where at least some of the other mfr's still include a full size spare in their trucks.

Heck, with some of the junky tires they put on the travel trailers, they ought to throw in two or three spares.....and some fix-a-flat.....and a jack, and lug wrench.....and....
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #7

Trailer:
Michelin invented the 'Tweel' (tyre and wheel) maybe 10 years ago and the only application that has got anywhere is for military vehicles (and any future lunar rover...). The problem for Tweels on road vehicles is excessive vibration at speeds over 50mph.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I'll say this again " I wouldn't put Michelin's in a ram earth house ". I've had bad experiences with them and they didn't stand behind their warranty.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ya Greg, we experienced that too. Was told Michelin doesnt actually have a warranty per say b/c they are so "great". Ya, till they fail. So your only option is to purchase a warranty from the tire dealer. If you didnt, your screwed.

Melissa
Old 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I had refused to buy Michelin tires since they required an "application" to buy TRX tires back in the late eighties.
However, with the purchase of our 2008 Esacpe new, we installed Michelin Hydroedge tires and they came with a 90,000 treadlife guarantee.
At 45,000 miles they show imperceptible wear and have performed flawlessly so far. They also provide a considerable enhancement in ride comfort, style ,handling and quiet over the stock offering.
We are easily on track to achieve the 90000 miles of treadwear.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I had refused to buy Michelin tires since they required an "application" to buy TRX tires back in the late eighties.

You might take some comfort in knowing that anyone involved in that decision has probably retired or died.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You might take some comfort in knowing that anyone involved in that decision has probably retired or died.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
True, I'm sure very few even remember the TRX system
Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A blast from the past:

TRX
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I asked Hubby if he remembered the "application" since he worked for Wester Auto back in the 80's and he certainly did. Said only 3 cars used that wierd 15.3" rim/tire combo back then.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I asked Hubby if he remembered the "application" since he worked for Wester Auto back in the 80's and he certainly did. Said only 3 cars used that wierd 15.3" rim/tire combo back then.
Actually,that is largely correct! In the U.S. as I recall, Only the Mustang used the 39OMM (15.3")rims, the Tempo used the 365MM version and I think the third car was the Renault 5 Turbo which used the 365MM rims as well. There were a couple more cars in Europe I think.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
I did a quick search of the internet and found that the 390mm Michelin TRX tires were a performance option on Mustang GT's from 1979 through 1984.

What I heard was that when it came time to buy new tires a lot of people found it was way cheaper to buy new 15-inch rims and tires. Those TRX tires were very expensive.

Mid-80's Ferrari 308's came with TRX tires from the factory.

I put a used set of TRX's on my 1979 Turbo Capri when I bought it in 1988. It had some real bad, non-performance tires on it plus the TRX's were original equipment. I couldn't believe the traction they had cornering on rain-soaked pavement. I could take a 270 degree freeway off-ramp at 60 miles per hour just like I did when it was dry.

Sorry about the non-trailer related post but this is close to my heart. I still have the 1979 Capri with a 1984 SVO fuel-injected turbo four in it and the SVO 16-inch wheels on the 4-wheel Lincoln disc brakes.

Jeff
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Yep, that's one of the reasons I hate Michelins. I bought a brand new Mustang GT in '82 when I joined the Army and about 8 months later I had the side wall blowout on one of them and Michelin would not stand behind their tire. It was that weird metric radial and I think they were about $200.00 plus a piece.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires