New Rav4 Adventure & towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: currently shopping
Oregon
New Rav4 Adventure & towing

Hi all, I am looking at the newly redesigned 2019 Rav4 Adventure,gas model. Per Toyota it is purposefully designed to tow up to 3,500 lbs. I am looking to downsize from my Tahoe & trailer. Anyone out there have any first had experience with these newly designed Rav4 adventures?
Sue in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Oregon View Post
Hi all, I am looking at the newly redesigned 2019 Rav4 Adventure,gas model. Per Toyota it is purposefully designed to tow up to 3,500 lbs. I am looking to downsize from my Tahoe & trailer. Anyone out there have any first had experience with these newly designed Rav4 adventures?
Hi Sue,
What will you be towing with your new Rav4?

Jeff
Jeffrey F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Name: Sue
Trailer: currently shopping
Oregon
Rav4 Adventure

I am considering switching up from my Tahoe and 21' Rockwood mini lite to a smaller set up. So, I am looking at Tab style or lite weight fiberglass, around 2,500lbs. The 2019 Rav4 Adventure is being marketed by Toyota as a vehicle which is designed/equipped to tow up to 3,500lbs.
Sue in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:35 AM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Oregon View Post
I am considering switching up from my Tahoe and 21' Rockwood mini lite to a smaller set up. So, I am looking at Tab style or lite weight fiberglass, around 2,500lbs. The 2019 Rav4 Adventure is being marketed by Toyota as a vehicle which is designed/equipped to tow up to 3,500lbs.
Didn’t know what year Tahoe you have, so I picked 2010 and 2018.

320hp/348ft. lbs., 5,400 lbs. towing for the 2010 Tahoe
355hp/383ft. lbs., 8,600 lbs. towing for the 2018 Tahoe
203hp/184ft. lbs., 3,500 lbs. towing for the 2019 Rav4 Adv

While the numbers are not bad for the smaller Rav4 you do realize that you will not be able to carry nearly as much stuff as you could with the Tahoe. You can’t just unload your current rig and try to stuff it all in the Rav4. Most people collect camping gear over the years and tend to flirt with or even go over that GVW.

You’re also giving up nearly 200ft. lbs. of torque, that’s the one you’re going to notice the most jumping on the freeway or pulling a steep grade. No longer will you be able to pull out and pass that slower rv on a hill, or power drift on the freeway onramp. This also depends on how much stuff you have.

All this is based on my friends 2018 Rav4 and Tab@. 176hp and 172ft. lbs. The 2019 has much better numbers.

If you ditch a couple of extra 20lb. propane tanks, 20 or so folding camp chairs and that portable fire pit it should be a decent rig.

Call around to some Toyota dealers, I’ve heard that some of the larger dealerships will let you test drive with a newer trailer on a demo vehicle. No harm in asking, if you’re dropping $35,000 on a new SUV you should be able to test it out first. Buy your TAB, load it up, and drag it down to Toyota with the Tahoe, a fistful of cash, and see what happens. If that doesn’t work, go to the middle of the sales floor and start YELLING about how they won’t let a woman test drive a vehicle. The more customers milling around, the better. Of course, if you’re a boy named Sue…………. Aw, what the hell, it still might work. Remember, your spending $35,000!

That’s all I got……
Jeff
Jeffrey F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The towing enhancements on the RAV4 Adventure are cooling upgrades that enable the smaller engine to work harder without overheating or blowing up. They do not give the 2.5L, naturally aspirated four cylinder any more power (in contrast to the turbo-4's that other manufacturers are now using). It will still be working hard.

We tow our 13' Scamp (around 1700# GVW) with a V6 Honda Pilot (250HP/253ft-lbs), rated to tow 3500# in 2WD form. Our towing includes four people and frequent severe conditions: mountains, canyons, winds, and high temperatures. Performance is satisfactory, not overkill.

I view Adventure's 3500# rating with a skeptical eye. In our towing conditions I wouldn't go any bigger than a 13' trailer (under 2000# loaded). A 2500# trailer might do okay as long as you stay mostly in low elevation, relatively flat terrain. (I'm assuming you mean 2500# loaded weight, not dry weight.)

I haven't read an actual report from anyone towing a molded trailer with this vehicle yet. I'm definitely curious because it's a great vehicle for daily use, but the 3500# rating seems ambitious for a non-turbo four cylinder. Once our kids are gone and it's just my wife and I, I'd love to tow with a smaller vehicle than the Pilot. The price is a bit off-putting. At well over $30K since the redesign, it's got a lot of competition, including a nice, used Highlander.

One additional factor. As you downsize your trailer, you may find you need to carry more in the tow vehicle. That's certainly true with our tiny Scamp. That means some of your towing capacity is eaten up by cargo on board.

I am with you on the big decision, though. Smaller is better! Many people find the smaller rig ends up getting used more.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote