New Ridgeline for T.V. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
New Ridgeline for T.V.

Looking for opinions from members that use the newer Honda Ridgeline for a tow vehicle. I will be towing a 17 foot Casita LD and carrying up to 500 lbs of gear in the back. If anyone has an opinion I would like to know it. Thanks in advance.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm thinking that 500 pounds of gear, along with 400+ pounds of tongue weight, might be a problem. Overloading the independent rear suspension will affect handling, eat tires, and may accelerate wear on suspension components.

I believe Honda does not recommend use of a WDH, though I know some have noted it's not a blanket prohibition and do use it, apparently without ill effect. Personally, I'd rather have a bit more capacity and not have to deal with the extra trouble of a WDH.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Not sure how you would get 500# of stuff into the bed of a Ridgeline. We towed a FD 17' over 20000 miles with our 2008 Ridgeline. When we hooked it up, the back dropped an inch or so. When we had it weighed, it came in at 3300# with a 315# tongue weight. It was well balanced because we had 2 bikes on the back. We usually had the back totally filled with various things like a Segway, generator, chairs, sometimes a grill and wood, but I would guess that the total weight in the back of the Ridgeline was 300 at most. Never had a handling problem.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Not sure how you would get 500# of stuff into the bed of a Ridgeline. We towed a FD 17' over 20000 miles with our 2008 Ridgeline. When we hooked it up, the back dropped an inch or so. When we had it weighed, it came in at 3300# with a 315# tongue weight. It was well balanced because we had 2 bikes on the back. We usually had the back totally filled with various things like a Segway, generator, chairs, sometimes a grill and wood, but I would guess that the total weight in the back of the Ridgeline was 300 at most. Never had a handling problem.
You might have to see it to believe it, but I saw a Ridgeline set up to tow a Scamp19... Beautiful and professional looking hitch design and reportedly a very competent TV for the application. That may be one way to get 500 pounds in the box.

Just a note, listening to You Tube reviews on pickup trucks, which are often done by people for whom English is a second language... They often, when referring to trucks, translate the word "bed" as "mattress"!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:14 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Late thought, Larry. You probably don’t have to guess about this. Honda is typically very thorough in the towing section of their owner’s manuals.

My Pilot manual has a chart showing how the trailer and tongue weight ratings are reduced as you load up the vehicle. The full ratings only include 330# of driver and front seat passenger. As you add more passengers or equivalent cargo, the tongue weight rating drops proportionately faster than the trailer weight rating, making clear the rear suspension is the limiting factor.

A search on “2019 Honda Ridgeline Owner’s Manual” should turn up a PDF you can download and read. It likely contains similar information.

You can also see the thread “Trailer Weights in the Real World” in the General Chat section for actual weight data. Tongue weights on Casita 17’s average about 415#. There’s a lot of variation, but 315# is definitely an outlier.

EDIT- I just looked at the 2019 manual. With 5 adults on board (the extra 3 adults, which Honda figures at 165# each, roughly equates to 500# of cargo) the manual indicates you can still pull 4500# of trailer with 495# of tongue weight. So you should be good as far as Honda is concerned!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We have pulled our 2018 17' Casita Independence with our 2017 Ridgeline for the past year with what I would say a perfect match for both. The Ridgeline can handle the load very will and I would say with not much difference with or without the trailer you will notice. Even in the Colorado mountains the transmission did the job, I left the drive in "D" all the time and it shifted when needed, the computer does all the work for you. We have our trailer loaded with what I would say a week of supplies and everything need for camping. The Ridgeline carried our chairs, camping table, ice chest, tool box, outdoor grill, and Little Red Campfire, plus other traveling things like snacks, etc., all that in the rear seat area. In the bed we carried the camping carpet 6x10, a Clem screened room, and two bicycles, plus some small wood blocks. In the storage compartment under the rear floor I put the camper box with all the hoses, electrical cords, and everything need for trailer setup, plus and extra propane tank for moving the grill, or Little Red Campfire away to a different location. The Ridgeline will set down 1" when load and the trailer hitch to the vehicle, this let the Ridgeline and trailer both set level as they should. I didn't use a WDH as it was never needed and both units traveled very well on the highway and cross winds and 18 wheeler's never seemed to bother us. All being said, it is a perfect match for a trailer the size of a Casita and probably any trailer in that size an weight combination. I did get around 17-18 mpg on the highway, in the mountains around 14-16. I don't see where you can go wrong here, I didn't. Do note here, I'm using the AWD model with a 5000 lb. rating, the 2WD is only 3500 lb. and won't handle the load anywhere safe where you should be when towing. The AWD will come with all the installed towing equipment that you need, you just have to plug in a brake controller, it's plug and play, easily done. Last word, Honda sales personal have no idea on towing, there out in left field and what ever they say is written in the manual, and many can't read that either. Ever ride in a Ridgeline, it's luxury at its best.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
2010 Honda Ridgeline

We have a 2010 Honda Ridgeline and tow a 19' Escape. We've done this for the last 3 years, with never a bit of trouble, going over the passes in Colorado many times. If you have looked into the towing specs for the new Ridgeline, you will have noticed that the 2wd is rated to tow 2500 lbs, the 4wd is rated for 5000 lbs. These are the same as for the Honda Pilot.I carry about 300lbs in the lockable trunk, everything else goes in the trailer.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Thanks for the info

Some really great info from Ridgeline owners it conforms what I have researched but it is always better to get opinions from those in the real world.
I’ll be test driving one soon and the salesman I’m working with has one and tows a R-pod so he at least has actual experience
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #9

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf View Post
Looking for opinions from members that use the newer Honda Ridgeline for a tow vehicle. I will be towing a 17 foot Casita LD and carrying up to 500 lbs of gear in the back. If anyone has an opinion I would like to know it. Thanks in advance.
Larry
I have a 2007 V6 Honda Ridgeline and I easily tow a 17 ft Boler - to Winnipeg and back to New Westminster BC last summer - you'll have no problem. I don't even have a transmission cooler but that is always a good thing to have
regardless
Best of luck
Dave (with Bernice the Boler)
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #10

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
Ridgeline TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf View Post
Good strong comfortable vehicle! Only concern; towed load unloading front drive wheels, Newton's laws!!
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #11

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
There have been numerous discussions about the Ridgeline as a tow vehicle, and several specifically about towing a 17' Casita. I have a 2007 Ridgeline and a 2007 Casita 17 FD.

I love the vehicle. It tows my Casita very easily (my TV is the AWD with factory tow package model). I love the Ridgeline for my every day vehicle. It drives almost as nicely and as luxuriously as my wife's Accord.

However, there is one problem -- mileage while towing the Casita. I get only around 11 MPG towing it, even on Florida flatlands and a little less when there are hills.

Some say they get good towing mileage with their Ridgeline, and some say the newer models are much better than the older ones. However, after many discussions, I have concluded that my low milage is not an anomaly, because some with newer models say that they also are disappointed with their MPG.

I have further concluded that the Ridgeline that can get around 19 MPG around on the road when not towing, might still get 17-18 MPG -- but IF, and only IF you tow at very slow speed (e.g. 55 MPH). I like to be able to tow at close to 70 MPH on the Interstate. However, I think that the Ridgeline has just enough engine power to get good mileage at 55, but much beyond that the mileage falls drastically.

I am now in position to consider a new vehicle. I love the Ridgeline so much that I probably will just pay the extra $$$ for gas when I tow my Casita (which is not all that frequent). I would do that because I love the vehicle ride and because I can't figure out where I would keep all camping-related stuff (folding chairs, jacks, leveling blocks, battery charger, jumper cables, tarps, ropes/bungees, tool box, torque wrench, etc., etc.) that fills my in-bed trunk of the Ridgeline.

Now that gasoline is running around $2/gal, it is an easy decision. However, if one wants to travel across the country and not just at 55 MPH, and if gas goes up to over $4/gal, one might think twice.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #12

Name: Diane
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
I don't know about the new ones, but I had a 2012 Ridgeline and used it to tow my Casita. I loved that truck. it had so many nice features and rode like a luxury car. You could barely tell when you went over a speed bump. I would still have it, but I had to buy a larger truck when I sold my Casita and bought a Bigfoot.
sodapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:08 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm a big Honda fan. I swore if Honda ever made a pick up I'd own one. But I passed on the Ridgeline. I don't like the space saver spare and with no room in the trunk for a full size spare the only place to carry one is in the bed. There is no low range, something I use from time to time like getting out of my driveway . The transmission won't allow you to set gears manually. I like being able to do that. And good luck finding an RT model. And if you do get lucky it will be silver or gray. In the end I stuck with the Frontier. It does everything I want and was atleast $10k cheaper than what the local Honda dealers had on the lot.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
One reason for the Ridgeline not being a popular tow vehicle is the price, many other vehicles can be purchased for less money. The price tag for a AWD Ridgeline is going to be up around $38,000/$42,000, thus putting it on the high end for many who tow the smaller fiberglass trailer. Honda does not over build the Ridgeline, only producing around 3200/3600 per month and they say they will not increase production of this vehicle. If you ever ride in a Ridgeline you couldn't tell if you were in a Lexus, or the Ridgeline, it's that good.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Don’t forget the new Ford Ranger, just saying.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #16

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
There have been numerous discussions about the Ridgeline as a tow vehicle, and several specifically about towing a 17' Casita. I have a 2007 Ridgeline and a 2007 Casita 17 FD.

I love the vehicle. It tows my Casita very easily (my TV is the AWD with factory tow package model). I love the Ridgeline for my every day vehicle. It drives almost as nicely and as luxuriously as my wife's Accord.

However, there is one problem -- mileage while towing the Casita. I get only around 11 MPG towing it, even on Florida flatlands and a little less when there are hills.

. . . .
Now that gasoline is running around $2/gal, it is an easy decision. However, if one wants to travel across the country and not just at 55 MPH, and if gas goes up to over $4/gal, one might think twice.
+1. We have a 17' Casita SD and tow it with a 2009 Pilot (same chassis as the Ridgeline). It tows just fine. I haven't taken it out West, but had no problems with grades in Appalachia. I was a little concerned about the weight at the back reducing traction at the front (primary) drive wheels, but this has not been a problem. Braking and tracking has been 100% predictable and safe.

As GatorCasita notes, gas mileage has not been outstanding. We get about 12 MPG when towing the Casita at about 65 MPH. I keep it in "D" almost all the time. We get about 22 MPG normally with the Pilot when not towing. If we were full timers. I'd probably consider another vehicle. But the Pilot is such a good "daily driver" the 95% of the time that we >aren't< towing that it just doesn't make sense to swap it for something else. It does the towing job adequately, it is comfortable to ride in when we travel (and when we get to our destination), and in the grand scheme of things, the slightly increased fuel burned when towing is a drop in the bucket compared to what we'd spend in depreciation and other cost to get an "optimized" tow vehicle.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #17

Name: Marney
Trailer: Casita 17' LD
Texas
Thumbs up A Match Made in Heaven

I towed my 2009 17 ft Casita with my 2008 Ridgeline. I tow my 2018 with my 2017 Ridgeline. 17 foot Casita and Ridgeline are a well balanced match. I normally load the bed to be gunwales, then I put my Clam Pavilion on top. It is great. No sway. No drag. I towed it from San Antonio, Texas to Del Rio and got 18.5 miles per gallon! I frequently look in my rear view mirror and wonder why that white thing is tailgating me! Typical load includes a couple of box fans, two folding tables, six or seven camping chairs, a full 55 qt cooler. Generator, gas, several rugs. A couple of milk crates with lights hoses and extension cords, my Anderson Leveler, chocks and 4 pyramid jacks. The first year, here in the flat lands of Texas, I didn’t even have a brake controller or a sway bar! I did 22,000 miles through the Western US including the Rockies, Tetons, Cascades, and Olympics without a sway bar. I never felt even slightly in need of one. In short, for stability and mileage, the Ridgeline is the perfect “mod” for your Casita. Enjoy it.
multiglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #18

Texas
Thumbs up A Match Made in Heaven

I towed my 2009 17 ft Casita with my 2008 Ridgeline. I tow my 2018 with my 2017 Ridgeline. 17 foot Casita and Ridgeline are a well balanced match. I normally load the bed to be gunwales, then I put my Clam Pavilion on top. It is great. No sway. No drag. I towed it from San Antonio, Texas to Del Rio and got 18.5 miles per gallon! I frequently look in my rear view mirror and wonder why that white thing is tailgating me! Typical load includes a couple of box fans, two folding tables, six or seven camping chairs, a full 55 qt cooler. Generator, gas, several rugs. A couple of milk crates with lights hoses and extension cords, my Anderson Leveler, chocks and 4 pyramid jacks. The first year, here in the flat lands of Texas, I didn’t even have a brake controller or a sway bar! I did 22,000 miles through the Western US including the Rockies, Tetons, Cascades, and Olympics without a sway bar. I never felt even slightly in need of one. In short, for stability and mileage, the Ridgeline is the perfect “mod” for your Casita. Enjoy it.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #19

Texas
Probably the driver. I get between 16.5 and 18.5 towing and 28 - 31.5 without the trailer. I tow between 55 and 62. Without the trailer I run 5 below to speed limit.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
I totally agree with those who report positive results towing their Casita with a 2nd Gen Ridgeline. Ours is the RTLE, so I make my report based on findings I am familiar with. Ours is AWD and is therefor rated at towing 5,000 pounds.
We tow a 2010 17SD and I can say it tows better than when we had a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner.
I used to bad mouth the Gen 1 Ridgeline, not so anymore. Honda fixed all of the shortcomings, including fuel economy. I know some liked the steeply sloped bed sides of the Gen 1, but that was the primary reason for buying the Tacoma back in 2010. We need access to the bed of the truck from the sides through the canopy side windows which flip up to open.

Reasons to get a Ridgeline, IMHO.

Ridgeline is about 3 inches wider than our Tacoma was, which definitely makes it more stable, whether towing or just driving around town.
If you like to be pampered while driving and feel like you are driving a luxury SUV this is your ticket to ride. I tows like a dream.
Fuel economy while towing is good. Both the Tacoma and the Ridgeline get around 15 mpg at 60 mph. Empty, the Ridgeline knocks it out of the park getting around 26 mpg at freeway speed limit, compared to the 20 for our Tacoma.

Transmission seems to know exactly what to do much like trainman reports. No need to down shift all the time with the exeption of steep downgrades, which is the same as the Tacoma. With the Tacoma, I often would run while towing in 4 when in hilly terrain. The Ridgeline handles that with ease and the transmission is butter smooth.

Because of the new acc cruise control in our Ridgeline, we can now tow while using cruise control in light traffic. It will slow down or even start to come to a stop when needed. Had a scare last summer when a commercial box van jammed the brakes in front of us. Because the lights were out and I couldn't see the front end dip,I didn't see the situation immediately. The truck braked sufficently until I took over. I just love the new safety features. Takes most of the excitement out of driving. Before with the Tacoma, towing while in cruise in anything approaching light traffic was not an option. I have a bad right knee, so driving can be a bit of a pain at times.

We use a WDH and think it works just as well on the Ridgeline as the Tacoma. I think a WDH is worth what little extra effort in hooking/unhooking for the extra comfort while towing. I will say this, though, the Ridgeline handles the weight of towing better than the Tacoma did. Less porpoising on sectioned pavement.

We have a Leer Canopy over the bed or our truck, so the weight does make a difference, the same as our Tacoma. We like having our camping gear under cover and out of sight.

The trunk (I never thought I would say this) is marvelous. I now have a place to hide my gym bag and purchases that I never had in a pickup before. It unlocks automatically for you if your key fob is in your pocket...no fumbling for the keys.

I could go on and on, but suffice to say I love this truck like I thought I would love my Tacoma. I keep trying to find reasons to go for a drive!
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote