New Scamp 13' height question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Name: Laura
Trailer: Scamp
Very good to know that 180lbs is way out of line. Wasn't sure how much the front bath added. Sounds like I'm leveling at the wrong place which is really bringing the hitch too low and the tongue weight up. I'll see how it goes leveling near the battery and changing the ball mount to that height. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

Laura B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
I level along the top of the fridge door. It's mounted to the floor and is manufactured square so the top edge of the fridge is parallel to the floor. Got into that habit with a propane fridge which has to be level to function properly.

Prior advice about not using heavy weight in the rear to reduce tongue weight is pretty good advice. The people who get all tech about it can explain it better but it boils down to sway is made worse by large amounts of weight placed further from the axle in both directions.

On the other hand you should be able to tow with water in the tanks, might need to shift load around inside. As suggested possibly take a bin stored under the rear table and move it forward to over the axle area when towing with water.

Do you by any chance have dual batteries or dual propane tanks on the tongue?

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette
You are getting some good advice here. First thing I would suggest is to throw away the level and walk back about 50' from your rig when it is hooked up to the tug. Look to see that the trailer is parallel to the street. You can use the aluminum strip on the side of the trailer for reference. (belly band) That way the road you are parked on doesn't have to be level. Leveling the trailer is for parking with the fridge running. Next make any adjustment to the drawbar by swaping it out for the correct rise to achieve that sweet parallelness to the road. Then you could assess the situation with the jack. If it still is too low to comfortably exit driveways, I would simply cut it off so it has enough clearance. Pick up one of those yellow plastic nose cones from Camping World to eliminate a lot of cranking and it spreads the load out on softer ground. Then you should be riding cool. A low trailer probably matches up with your tug pretty well.

I forgot a step. When you look at the car when hooked up check how much suspension sag the tug has. If it looks too low you may have to give it some help with springs or airbags. to compensate for the 200 lbs on the hitch. Then do the drawbar and other stuff.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #18
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Good reply Russ, I was thinking of saying the same thing, eyeballs work great, keep it simple. Really no matter what angle the rode is the belly band is the best straight line reference point to use. When I picked up my SD 17 my reversed 2" stinger worked fine with my Ranger. I ended up putting a lift kit on the SD because of where I travel and borrowed a 4" drop from a friend which I reversed for a lift and did a test run.....perfect.
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Do you by any chance have dual batteries or dual propane tanks on the tongue?
Rodger she indicated she doesnt have a battery or propane tanks on the tongue and empty the trailer is weighing in at 180lbs on the tongue. Its a front bath Scamp but it doesnt have a toilet. Hope someone with a front bath 13' will weigh in and give us there actual loaded weights for comparison.

Dave I also have levels stuck to the trailer at the bellyband as well as a bullseye type level on the tongue to give me side to side level, they come in handy to have when setting up at camp, never have to go looking for them! LOL Both levels when the trailer is level read pretty well the same.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
Name: Laura
Trailer: Scamp
RogerDat, the tongue weight of 180lbs is without the 2 tanks or battery and with an empty trailer and then when I add them, it's a whole other thing because my tongue is then way over my 200lb limit-which has been keeping me in my Driveway Campsite. I will try the refrigerator level and then just eyeballing the bellyband as suggested. Maybe I should do that on a CAT scale where the ground is level? Really appreciate all the suggestions.
Laura B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Scamp 16DX
My 2005 13 Scamp with front bath had a tongue weight of around 190 lbs. with one tank and battery and the trailer empty. The trailer did have a roof top A/C. When loaded I put very light weight stuff in the front storage closets and stowed other stuff in totes on the floor above the axle and under the dinette. I carried about 6 gal. (50 lb.) of water in the fresh water tank. I kept the tongue weight around 200 lbs. towing.
My 2011 Outback CVT got about 22 MPG towing and had plenty of power towing the S-13. The car was equipped with an electric brake controller and the trailer towed great with no issues. I did not take the trailer to the mountains, all my towing was flatland towing with that trailer.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #22
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
[QUOTE=Carol H;431669]Funny you should ask ..."

I towed my 13' with a 2002 outback with 4cyl. with no problems hitting the ground, using a straight hitch. I did put on a smaller LP tank, about half the size, to save weight but have never weighed the tongue. And the standard tank is way too big anyway. I just purchased a new 2014 outback which is taller, and will use your 2'' drop hitch. I was wondering which hitch to buy. I have never ever had a sway problem, except when I put more than 2 bikes on the back bumper hitch I installed. I do not recommend doing that, but it is possible to hang 2 bikes off the rear bumper if very close to the back of the trailer, and the weight is adjusted elsewhere. Best not to take a chance though. Buy 2 folding bikes and store in the trailer. Sway is a real problem you dont want to experience.

shawn bertagnole is offline   Reply With Quote