New Scamper Questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Maybe that's why we have septic treatment plants?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;450390

One caveat… This is for my 8 and 11-year-old girls, and it's more for their peace-of-mind than anything else. It's worked fine for several outings, but I'd want something more substantial for a very young child.[/QUOTE]

Actually Jon it may be more than peace of mind for that age child. I had an 12 year old fall out of the top bunk and slam his head into the edge of screen door & the corner of the tall fiberglass storage cabinet. Not good. He was tossing about in a sleeping bag made of nylon thus slippery and off he came.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Putting human waste or pet waste into the general garbage is actually banned in my neck of the woods.

People always ask what about diapers? Well first an foremost they suggesting using cloth diapers or a disposable diaper service, if you must dispose of disposable diaper at your home you must first flush the waste, then bag the diaper before putting it in the garbage.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #18

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Gilda, to address your portapotty use. "relatively easy to clean. The only issue I have is that it is so low. It's a good thing I have strong knees."
Someone once posted where they built a box that the porta potty could sit in while stored under the couch, but when pulled out you would simply take it out of the box, flip the box over and place the porta potty on top of it to raise it up to where ones tired old knees will thank them.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #19

British Columbia
One could ask, instead of taking the potty bag to the trash, why not just leave it under the trailer? Out of sight, out of mind.
Or, imagine a campground with 300+ trailers, all dumping their poop in the trash barrels. Wouldn't that be a popular campground?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Yes David, the box lift is a good idea. I've also seen the idea of using a low step with folding legs that could be used as a doorstep in the day and a potty platform at night. Aluminum Folding Step - Stromberg Carlson PA-100 - Steps - Camping World
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually Jon it may be more than peace of mind for that age child. I had an 12 year old fall out of the top bunk and slam his head into the edge of screen door & the corner of the tall fiberglass storage cabinet. Not good. He was tossing about in a sleeping bag made of nylon thus slippery and off he came.
Thanks for the warning! I pulled up your older post about the incident. Scary! I think I will reinforce the vertical posts as well.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Interesting post and I have a bit of expirence on the same thing with my girls. Years ago I bought a class C bunkhouse so my girls had an area to go to that could be their "own" room if they wanted to be alone for a while. I was concerned about the four and a half foot drop from the top bunk if she should roll over and out. The oldest was only about three at the time and had the top bunk. I made up a safety net I could lift up and attach to the opening, kind of like race cars have on the drivers side. Many nights when I checked on them they were off the bunk and hanging in a little ball in my safety net... totally off the bed. Wow, wish I'd taken a picture.
Anyway, guess what I'm getting at is that making something to keep little ones safe from falling off a bunk differs with what the original RV is, mine as a sticky was easy. I think if I had a full open top bunk like glass eggs have I would have made up something that slips under the bottom cushions and maybe halfway back to the wall and eight inches high on the outside edge out of wood. Not sure how that would work out with the limited space of an egg but I'm sure something like that could be made out of PVC also that would slip under the cushions and be lighter than something out of wood. Just my two cents worth.
They were really cute in the net though
Old 04-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
If you have some extra PVC around a bunk rail is pretty easy to make. Byron made one of PVC and its a pretty simple system to make and another poster did one out of copper pipe.
The thread with pictures of both is at Bunk Rails.

The problem on the Scamp as well as a few other brands of trailers is that you are unable to slip anything between the top bunk mattress and the wood base as the base is inside the cushions - assuming PO's haven't changed that. If you go the commercial route you will need to find one the rail systems that screws into the underside of the top bunk cushion fabric into the wood or take a look at the thread link for Escape Trailer Bunk Bed Rail - in that thread the party added fittings for the tubing that runs the width of the bed to slide into.

When dealing with children the age of the OP's you need to be mindful of the fact if you make it too high or so long they can't get in and out on their own you will have a problem of a different kind! The key is don't make it look to much like you are trying to keep a "baby" from falling out of bed & it doesn't really need to be full length or as high as you would for a very young child! Don't need to tell you how I learned those words of wisdom!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Good catch Carol on my idea of sliding a bed rail under the cushion. The "forest for the trees" thing got in the way
Old 04-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #25

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Thanks for all of the great advice! We love our Scamp and this site is definitely useful and entertaining!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #26

Name: Karen
Trailer: In the market
Texas
I understand the point that Bob Miller is making about human waste but quite honestly, I don't think what Melissa doing is any worse than throwing disposable diapers into the trash. Disposable diapers have just as much or more capacity to leak wastes as the plastic bag that Melissa describes and yet our society finds disposable diapers perfectly acceptable. And just think about how often disposable diapers are tossed in the trash can without being wrapped in a plastic bag first. However, I think that anyone who has an issue with putting wastes into the trash like that could easily do a true composting toilet with sawdust (like they describe in the the Jenkins link). Pathogens would be killed in the composting process and the wastes would never go into the garbage/landfill cycle.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #27

British Columbia
Not any worse.
That's not much of a justification.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Diapers are designed to be rolled up and retaped after use. The inner liner and the outer covers are designed to contain what is inside. When used correctly they will contain the contents when thrown into a dumpster.

Kitchen trash bags, and a bunch of cat letter, is not designed or intended to contain human waste...

And a composting toilet is something that you will have to carry to contents of with you for the entire trip. That's not likely, especially for some that have trouble when trying to empty a porta-potty tank.

Campgrounds provide different kinds of facilites for safe disposal of waste products, dumpsters are not one of them.

Tags
scamp