New Tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #21

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Here's the tire George spoke about.......

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08

Thanks Tom, I should have linked that, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Occasionally we see folks mentioning the psi inflation limits of the wheels also, so that must be considered. The wheels on my trailer are aluminum and are distributed by Tredit, so I emailed them and explained that I am wanting to change from LR C to LR D, and specifically asked them if I could safely increase the air pressure in these wheels to 65 psi, as long as I don't exceed the 1900 pound weight limit per wheel. Their response back was "yes, that is acceptable".
So obviously, I will end up with a tire that has a load limit of 2094 pounds, but the practical limit will be 1900 pounds per wheel assembly.

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My local Costco carries GreenBall tires at a reasonable cost ($68 for 175/13). On another forum, a guy who maintains a large fleet of commercial trailers said that GreenBall tires were his first choice.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Tires

A few things I've learned about tires
1) There are no radial trailer tires made in the USA
2) All Brands of trailer tires have their problems
3) Chinese tires seem to be the poorest quality, tire Japanese and Korean the better quality tire
4) Korean and Japanese tire Mfg. have plants in Thailand ,Vietnam and China so even their quality is suspect.
5) Greenball is an importer and does not mfg. tires They import tires under many labels and are not noted for backing up there tires. They are made to meet a price point
6) Marathons were a good tire but now are no worse or better than any other Chinese tires, just priced higher ( Info came from Goodyear dealer)
7) Going to a Kumhos or Hankook D rated tire is not the whole answer The D rated tire is designed to run at 65 lbs. pressure and most trailer rims are rated for 50 lbs (Kumhos told me not to run their #857 tire at 50 lbs) Most tire dealers are not aware of this problem
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #24

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I think it would be interesting to find out how many people have had a blow out or any other problems with the tires on their TTs.
All have ever done is go to my local tire store, tell them what I want and rely on their expertise.
I pushing 70 and have been towing something all of my adult life.
Stock trailers, 6 horse horse trailers, boat trailers and travel trailers. Now I have an ATV trailer, sailboat trailer and my 14' Bigfoot.
I have never had a blow out or flat tire on any of my many trailers.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Blowouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I think it would be interesting to find out how many people have had a blow out or any other problems with the tires on their TTs.
All have ever done is go to my local tire store, tell them what I want and rely on their expertise.
I pushing 70 and have been towing something all of my adult life.
Stock trailers, 6 horse horse trailers, boat trailers and travel trailers. Now I have an ATV trailer, sailboat trailer and my 14' Bigfoot.
I have never had a blow out or flat tire on any of my many trailers.

John
In the last 10 years I've had 4 blowouts of boat trailer tires . 3 blowouts were with Marathon tires , 1 with another brand ? All were in cool weather (May in Canada and Minnesota , The three Marathons were less than 3 years old , All were properly inflated and they were not overloaded, Luckily there was no other damage but now we always carry 2 spare tires on rims
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
5) Greenball is an importer and does not mfg. tires They import tires under many labels and are not noted for backing up there tires. They are made to meet a price point
Valid point. I have had excellent luck with Costco backing up what they sell, so I would not have an issue with Greenball
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 17 Casita Liberty Deluxe / Snug Top SuperSport on a 2002 4x4 Tundra AC
Send a message via Yahoo to Roland Takayama
Well, I just had a spectacular blowout of a Kumho 857 on my Casita Liberty. Proper inflation, cool weather, and only 90 miles from home. Guess I'll purchase a good quality tire and hope for the best.
Roland Takayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #28

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Look into inflating with nitrogen instead of air, tires rot from the inside due to moisture. Nitrogen is more stable at maintaining pressure even.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Look into inflating with nitrogen instead of air, tires rot from the inside due to moisture. Nitrogen is more stable at maintaining pressure even.

I run mine with 78% nitrogen.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #30

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I hear that the nitrogen doesn't leak out through the rubber.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #31

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas g. View Post
i run mine with 78% nitrogen.

lol :d
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #32

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A few things I've learned about tires
1) There are no radial trailer tires made in the USA
2) All Brands of trailer tires have their problems
3) Chinese tires seem to be the poorest quality, tire Japanese and Korean the better quality tire
4) Korean and Japanese tire Mfg. have plants in Thailand ,Vietnam and China so even their quality is suspect.
6) Marathons were a good tire but now are no worse or better than any other Chinese tires, just priced higher ( Info came from Goodyear dealer)
7) Going to a Kumhos or Hankook D rated tire is not the whole answer The D rated tire is designed to run at 65 lbs. pressure and most trailer rims are rated for 50 lbs (Kumhos told me not to run their #857 tire at 50 lbs) Most tire dealers are not aware of this problem
It is claimed that Carlisle still makes their radial tires in the U.S.
Mine are radials and they make two or three different radial trailer tires.
I just got back to Illannoy from Sebring and now have about 27000miles on them.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #33

Trailer: 17 Casita Liberty Deluxe / Snug Top SuperSport on a 2002 4x4 Tundra AC
Send a message via Yahoo to Roland Takayama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I run mine with 78% nitrogen.
Hahaha
Roland Takayama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires