New Tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bronco 800/Trail-Lite 521
Arizona
Registry
I am currently running Carlisle Radial Trail ST205/75R14 They are Load range C with 1760# per tire. That is 3520#'s which exceeds your axle rating. I have zero issues with them and by keeping your tires at 50psi it will will give you lot's of life and performance

Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida

Steve,

Both the ST205 and ST215/75R14s exceed the 3500 pound goal. The 215s by 240 #s. Either tire should give plenty of margin. I would imagine that it's almost impossible to get a Scamp to even 3000 pounds.

Our last set of Goodyear Marathons probably went 20,000 miles including 1000 miles of gravel over 4 years without issue. This year's set has about 4,000 again without issue.

I have no history with other trailer tires because I've always had Marathons.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Scamp Tires (Marathons)

I received an E- mail today from Scamp concerning tires I am posting it below.

"The brand we are currently using is a Trail Master Radial ,For some reason some of the tires coming have been Trans Master Radials. Which we have not had any problems with .With the Goodyears they have been made over in China and because of that the quality has went way down. We used to carry Goodyear but had way too many problems with them."

Just for your information
Thanks Steve Dunham
Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
My only experience with Marathons was not a happy one. At less than a year old and less than 3,000 miles, always run inflated to within 5 psi of max, one blew up in a rather spectacular fashion, taking my black & grey water drains & valves with it. Another blew shortly afterwards. I have a "no name" tire on one of those spots now, with the other blown-out Marathon replaced under warranty by (sigh) another Marathon. I ran Carlisles for years & years on other trailers with no issues whatever.

However, lately I am coming to the conclusion that any tire that is so-called "trailer rated" is just NOT a good deal - a light truck rated one is likely to be sturdier, capable of much more hi-speed running and taking more general abuse
Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #19

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Steve,
I'm new to this forum, but have been hanging around several of the other RV forums for the past several months as I get up to speed on this new-to-me travel trailer pastime. I too have been trying to find decent tires to replace the china bombs that are on my camper. My tires are the common 205/75-14 radial, LR C. From what I have read, it seems the tires out of Korea have a pretty good reliability reputation. I have located a source for Hankook RA08, in a 195R-14, LR D, so I may go with a set of them. They are load rated for 2094 pounds at 65psi.

george
Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here's the tire George spoke about.......

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #21

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Here's the tire George spoke about.......

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08

Thanks Tom, I should have linked that, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Occasionally we see folks mentioning the psi inflation limits of the wheels also, so that must be considered. The wheels on my trailer are aluminum and are distributed by Tredit, so I emailed them and explained that I am wanting to change from LR C to LR D, and specifically asked them if I could safely increase the air pressure in these wheels to 65 psi, as long as I don't exceed the 1900 pound weight limit per wheel. Their response back was "yes, that is acceptable".
So obviously, I will end up with a tire that has a load limit of 2094 pounds, but the practical limit will be 1900 pounds per wheel assembly.

george
Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #22

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
My local Costco carries GreenBall tires at a reasonable cost ($68 for 175/13). On another forum, a guy who maintains a large fleet of commercial trailers said that GreenBall tires were his first choice.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #23

None
Tires

A few things I've learned about tires
1) There are no radial trailer tires made in the USA
2) All Brands of trailer tires have their problems
3) Chinese tires seem to be the poorest quality, tire Japanese and Korean the better quality tire
4) Korean and Japanese tire Mfg. have plants in Thailand ,Vietnam and China so even their quality is suspect.
5) Greenball is an importer and does not mfg. tires They import tires under many labels and are not noted for backing up there tires. They are made to meet a price point
6) Marathons were a good tire but now are no worse or better than any other Chinese tires, just priced higher ( Info came from Goodyear dealer)
7) Going to a Kumhos or Hankook D rated tire is not the whole answer The D rated tire is designed to run at 65 lbs. pressure and most trailer rims are rated for 50 lbs (Kumhos told me not to run their #857 tire at 50 lbs) Most tire dealers are not aware of this problem
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I think it would be interesting to find out how many people have had a blow out or any other problems with the tires on their TTs.
All have ever done is go to my local tire store, tell them what I want and rely on their expertise.
I pushing 70 and have been towing something all of my adult life.
Stock trailers, 6 horse horse trailers, boat trailers and travel trailers. Now I have an ATV trailer, sailboat trailer and my 14' Bigfoot.
I have never had a blow out or flat tire on any of my many trailers.

John
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #25

None
Blowouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I think it would be interesting to find out how many people have had a blow out or any other problems with the tires on their TTs.
All have ever done is go to my local tire store, tell them what I want and rely on their expertise.
I pushing 70 and have been towing something all of my adult life.
Stock trailers, 6 horse horse trailers, boat trailers and travel trailers. Now I have an ATV trailer, sailboat trailer and my 14' Bigfoot.
I have never had a blow out or flat tire on any of my many trailers.

John
In the last 10 years I've had 4 blowouts of boat trailer tires . 3 blowouts were with Marathon tires , 1 with another brand ? All were in cool weather (May in Canada and Minnesota , The three Marathons were less than 3 years old , All were properly inflated and they were not overloaded, Luckily there was no other damage but now we always carry 2 spare tires on rims
Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #26

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
5) Greenball is an importer and does not mfg. tires They import tires under many labels and are not noted for backing up there tires. They are made to meet a price point
Valid point. I have had excellent luck with Costco backing up what they sell, so I would not have an issue with Greenball
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 17 Casita Liberty Deluxe / Snug Top SuperSport on a 2002 4x4 Tundra AC
Send a message via Yahoo to Roland Takayama
Well, I just had a spectacular blowout of a Kumho 857 on my Casita Liberty. Proper inflation, cool weather, and only 90 miles from home. Guess I'll purchase a good quality tire and hope for the best.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #28

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Look into inflating with nitrogen instead of air, tires rot from the inside due to moisture. Nitrogen is more stable at maintaining pressure even.

Tags
tires