New Tires: Radial vs. bias opinions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Tent
Thumbs up

I am installing new tires on my Burro this week. My trailer came with passenger tires not trailer tires (after checking pricing I know why). That said I will be putting ST (Special Trailer) tires on and have the choice of bias or radial.

From what I have learned bias tires can handle a heavier load, but only at lower speeds, the radials are better for towing a lighter load at higher speeds. Knowing that I never load the trailer heavy (plenty of space in the truck bed), and like to drive close to the speed limit when towing, I am leaning towards the Radials. I understand the tow will be smoother, my mileage may improve slightly, and bounce factor may be reduced.

I will not consider passenger tires (P) or light truck tires (LT) as I want to avoid sway, and side wall blowouts.

I am towing a 1982 Burro, with and F150 V8 super crew cab, tires will be ST175/80R13.

All that said I wanted to hear some real world towing experience between the two options.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All I can say is I'm running 15" Marathon radials and am perfectly happy with them. For all the reasons you listed. Other size tires and different trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You can get a new set delivered with wheels on ebay for $165.00
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Mike I recently went through the same situation debating with myself as to whether to replace the ancient tires on the Uhaul my wife and I had recently purchased with bias ply or radials. The tires on the Uhaul were bias ply tires obviously in desperate need of replacement. The trailer rode very roughly so I thought maybe radials would improve the ride but was of a mind set that bias ply tires with what I thought to be stiffer sidewalls would mitigate potential sway. Well as usual the decision was ultimately made for us.We needed the tires for an upcoming trip from our home in Twin Falls Idaho to Arkansas, then to South Dakota for an egg gathering there and then back to Twin Falls briefly before departing for a trip to Stub Steward park near Portland Oregon for the gathering there. Then from Portland down the coast as far as Florence Oregon and home again a total distance of approximately 5200 miles so we needed tires and we needed them right now. The only tires readily available in Twin Falls that would fit the Uhaul were Duro radial tires so on they went. They performed beautifully on the trip with no problems whatever. As to sway due to lack of stiffness in the sidewalls I see no difference between the Duro radials and the original bias ply tires, Unfortunately I also see no noticeable difference in the roughness of the ride. So bottom line we are very satisfied with the Duro radials on our Uhaul. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires