New Tow Vehicle... 2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
New Tow Vehicle... 2016 Jeep Cherokee

We love this new vehicle! It will tow 4500 pounds with the factory tow package. We have a few questions to get it ready for it's first trip pulling our 13 foot SCAMP.
I am looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller AND the wire harness, which E Trailer says... it will just plug into the Cherokee wiring harness, since it has the factory tow package. Looking under the dash... I can just about barely see a gray connector way up under and way behind the hood release latch. I can't see the whole thing... might this be the right connector? In other words.... are we sure there is a brake controller connector on the vehicle harness if the Cherokee has the tow package?
Secondly...
I can't find anywhere on line or in any of the literature on the Cherokee about towing a trailer. I find plenty info about the Cherokee being towed! (Our Wrangler had to have the OD off during any towing... and unofficially, to use the cruise control sparingly etc.)
There is no warnings or advice on towing WITH the Cherokee. (that we can find) It seems to be that you just hook it up and the motor and transmission will automatically take care of everything else? The sales guy seems to think that there is no button or adjustment or setting to tow a trailer behind the Cherokee. He said he will continue to research this.
Finally any recommendations for towing mirrors?
Thanks
Ralph & Peggy
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Mirrors - Milenco Grand Aero.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #3

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
sounds like you found the right plug. I have the plug that is supposed to plug and play new in the box as I was considering the same vehicle but ended up with a F150 instead with factory brake controller. Sounds like you have a good match for your 13' trailer. All you need to do is hook it up and drive as normal if going up hills keep it out of overdrive otherwise I was planning to leave it in regular drive mode for the 9 speed transmission to do its thing and was hoping for 20mpg towing.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
We love this new vehicle! It will tow 4500 pounds with the factory tow package. We have a few questions to get it ready for it's first trip pulling our 13 foot SCAMP.
I am looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller AND the wire harness, which E Trailer says... it will just plug into the Cherokee wiring harness, since it has the factory tow package. Looking under the dash... I can just about barely see a gray connector way up under and way behind the hood release latch. I can't see the whole thing... might this be the right connector? In other words.... are we sure there is a brake controller connector on the vehicle harness if the Cherokee has the tow package?
Secondly...
I can't find anywhere on line or in any of the literature on the Cherokee about towing a trailer. I find plenty info about the Cherokee being towed! (Our Wrangler had to have the OD off during any towing... and unofficially, to use the cruise control sparingly etc.)
There is no warnings or advice on towing WITH the Cherokee. (that we can find) It seems to be that you just hook it up and the motor and transmission will automatically take care of everything else? The sales guy seems to think that there is no button or adjustment or setting to tow a trailer behind the Cherokee. He said he will continue to research this.
Finally any recommendations for towing mirrors?
Thanks
Ralph & Peggy

The P2 is really all you need. The P3 gives extra info but it's not going to do anything extra for trailer braking. I use the CC like a lot of folks do on the flats, getting into hilly conditions it gets turned off and have never had a problem. With your tug you won't have any problems towing a 13'er. Glenn mentioned side mirrors, good idea but you may find that the width of your TV is plenty wide enough for good vision, check it first. I bought slide on extension mirrors but found that the stock ones on my Ranger are fine with my Casita.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:12 AM   #5

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
For mirrors, me too I have the "Aero Milenco 3" and I am very satisfied ..
It is secure, does not vibrate, easily adjusts ...

Milenco Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Wiring harness for brake controller

I purchased the same harness for the same controller for my Cherokee and it works perfectly.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have recently purchased a 2016 GC V6 jeep and pulled our Casita over four passes in Colordo without any problems. Our P3 controller plugged into our old jeep so I had the dealer plug the controller in when we picked up our 2016 last month. No problems.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
I purchased the same harness for the same controller for my Cherokee and it works perfectly.
Thanks for your input Jim... I do have a further question if you don't mind.
Where did you mount your controller?
All the videos show the mounting position of the controller for a "Grand" Cherokee. I can't find any reference to mounting the controller on a Cherokee. On our Cherokee, the Air Bag is directly under the dash and there is no room to the right between the air bag area and the center console area.
If you had a pic... it would help.
Thanks in advance
Ralph
Old 09-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
speaking of mirrors

I don't mean to bush-whack the post.... I just upgraded from a Grand Cherokee, using the add-on tow mirrors, to a 2016 RAM 1500 (no factory tow mirrors). I pulled my Casita 400 miles without attaching the clamp-on tow mirrors. I could see well beyond the sides of the trailer and both back corners. Is it carved in stone somewhere that I have to have "tow mirrors"? I guess the truck is so much wider than the jeep, I don't feel I need the add-ons.
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just Google "tow mirror regulations" for your state ( they're all pretty much the same, no matter the state or province ).
You don't need 'tow mirrors', but you do need to be able to see in the adjacent lanes for a distance of about 200'. If your factory mirrors allow that, then you're OK. If not, you need tow mirrors.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
On my Lexus GX470, I mounted the P3 to the ashtray door in the center stack. Couldn't think of any place where it would fit better. I figure the ashtray door can be replaced later if I want to get rid of the 2 screw holes, if selling the truck.

My connector was concealed under electrical tape. Hopefully yours is the one you've spotted! You probably also have to run a ground wire, though.

The way the Jeep auto transmissions are set up now, with all the electronics, no user control is supposed to be required (no overdrive lockout). But manual control is still possible if desired.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 PM   #12

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I find it beneficial to add towing mirrors when the tow vehicle is narrow. Our tug was a Jeep Wrangler. On the highway I could see passing cars OK, but when backing up the mirrors were in so far that I couldn't see down the side of the trailer. All I could see was the front corner of the trailer but not the side. This made it a challenge to back up without over-correcting.
I put some 2" blocks under the mirror mounts, but it still was not far enough out. The new tug is a little wider.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #13

Kentucky
Howdy Folks!

I took the advice with the P2 Brake controller... Thanks! I found the connector under the dash way up and back under... I had to remove it from a little bracket that it sat in. I connected it and we have power to the controller! So much easier than splicing and paying someone else to do it! LOL
I attached the controller on the little cubby hole door down on the left of the dash near the door. That way I can eliminate the holes if I wanted to with a new cubby hole door later. I can still use the little cubby hole too! There is just no flat space on the right of the steering wheel.
I am looking at the towing mirrors... and will order a set this weekend. Probably the Aero as has been mentioned.
Thanks again!
Ralph & Peggy
Old 10-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
We are on our third towing vehicle (all Jeep GC) since we got our 17' Casita in 2000. I had extended mirrors on our first Jeep, but took them off after the first trip as the visibility was fine with factory mirrors. Haven't had them on since.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #15

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
We are on our third towing vehicle (all Jeep GC) since we got our 17' Casita in 2000. I had extended mirrors on our first Jeep, but took them off after the first trip as the visibility was fine with factory mirrors. Haven't had them on since.
Thanks Walt... I will measure the width compared to the Wrangler before I order.