New Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
New Tow Vehicle

So looking to my peeps for advice I just got a "new" (used) tow vehicle for my family needs but as a bonus will be a great tow vehicle. My issue is that my trailer is stored away for the winter at the fairground buildings and when I got to get it my height will need to be adjusted there or my butt will be dragging. I am going from a traverse to a suburban and the height of the hitch is about 8" different. I contact the trailer place and they said I have the E2 sway type bar and the hitch they gave me is the one with the most drop.....my issue is it's all in the camper and I can't check it out. My thought since I don't live far is to just put a drop hitch receiver on it and not hook the sway bars up since I'm not far, but this will give me time to mess with it (or the men that I will call on for their tools I need). Anyone have insight or deal with the same that can speak on it?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You are leaving a lot of unanswered questions in your request. I am guessing that your trailer is one of these:
Fun Finder X 2008 X-160 WB=
and, as peeps hereabouts have FGRV's, I am guessing again that it might be somewhat like a 19' BigFoot in size, weight and tongue weight

You didn't mention if your new TV's hitch receiver was 8" higher or 8" lower than your old TV's, or if your Suburban has the Auto-Level feature, all of which would make a difference. I am guessing "Higher" and "Yes" to those questions.

I am also confused if you are confusing the term "Sway Bars" with the weight distributing bars used on weight distributing hitches. They are two very different items. I suspect that you are talking about the latter.

All that said, a Suburban has a fairly high load limit even without a weight distributing hitch and, if that's not being exceeded, for a short tow (less than 25 miles?) at moderate speeds (35 MPH?), as long as you have trailer brakes and lights, and there is no danger of trailer rear contact on dips, you should be able to get it home.

If the dealer told you that the hitch they sold you had the maximum drop you may have to be looking for a new hitch. The one we had installed on a Surburban to tow a Coleman 17', was adjustable and it was just a matter of moving it up or down to get the right height.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

Michigan
Yes for my fun finder (no FB trailer yet), it is very light about 1500 and loaded 2500-3000 is what I was reading on the real trailer weight. It is WD hitch that I needed for the traverse, but I think it would still be a good thing for the suburban to have. The brakes are surge breaks so I don't have an electric hook up other than the 7pin for lights. from the ground to the center of receiver is 24" and for my Traverse was 16". So if I show up and try to do just like before I'm going to be popping trailer wheelies. It will be less than 10 miles, but in a 45-55 zone (which I can drive slower but I also live off of a dirt road). I will plan to right now use my husbands drop hitch to lower it down to match up with height with trailer. Meanwhile I'll try to do my own homework vs what the dealer has told me.......
Old 11-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
IF your FunFinder is the same one as linked to in post #2, it's specs, shown in that same link, indicate a dry weight of 2583 lbs and a tongue weight of 290 lbs and there is no mention of surge brakes, which are seldom seen on travel trailers anyway. Maybe we have the wrong link?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
How much drop was on your trailer ball stinger?

Here is a good example of whats available.
There are also different height trailer balls to adjust it further.

Fits 2 Inch Hitch Ball Mounts | etrailer.com
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool dual axle rigs

If it is a dual axle, then it is important to tow it level or one axle or the other will take more of the load and potentially fail.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #7

Michigan
Not dual axle and definitely surge brakes. I'm checking with the E2 company for options. I need to get a hold of the fairgrounds and see if I can gain access to the trailer to get the hitch and measure the tongue height. Sounds like I can get a new part in the hitch if needed to drop it down more. The company said to get them info and they can help me Bob Miller I think you are correct on the weights, I just knew that with loaded I would be closer to the #3500 mark so I always towed w/o water loaded etc to keep the weight to a minimum and then filled up at the campground. I will now have the options to fill up with water if needed at home if I decide to go to the one campground with a friend since they have sulfur water and I don't want that going through my trailer at all!

2 for 6K - 14K Models : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store