New Tow Vehicle for Scamp 13 Standard: Your Thoughts? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #29

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
A short wheelbase car is not a problem with a small trailer. It requires more attention when driving, as it steers faster and is sensitive to very slight steering input which creates driver fatigue on longer trips. I have towed our 16' Scamp on four 3000 mile trips with a lifted 2 door Jeep Wrangler and it was very tiring after a few hours of driving. On short trips it works beautifully, as it is easy to park in shopping areas and in the camp ground.
As far as safety, it seems very stabile at reasonable cornering speeds. If you had to veer at high speed the traction would be good, but the high center of gravity would limit how crazy you could get. The 4" lift affects that more than the short wheelbase.
A longer wheelbase just slows things down making for a more relaxed trip, and provides the tow vehicle more leverage to control trailer forces. Long wheelbase pick-ups have more trouble finding driving traction than shorter ones though.
Russ

Old 02-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #30

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Wendy another nice smallish SUV type vehicle that has an amazing tow cap of 7,700lbs that I haven't seen on your list of possibilities yet is VW Touareg. I took one for a spin and it was a great drive, although outside my price point. I tried to find a gently used one for about a year without any luck.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #31

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
A short wheelbase car is not a problem with a small trailer. It requires more attention when driving, as it steers faster and is sensitive to very slight steering input which creates driver fatigue on longer trips. I have towed our 16' Scamp on four 3000 mile trips with a lifted 2 door Jeep Wrangler and it was very tiring after a few hours of driving. On short trips it works beautifully, as it is easy to park in shopping areas and in the camp ground.
As far as safety, it seems very stabile at reasonable cornering speeds. If you had to veer at high speed the traction would be good, but the high center of gravity would limit how crazy you could get. The 4" lift affects that more than the short wheelbase.
A longer wheelbase just slows things down making for a more relaxed trip, and provides the tow vehicle more leverage to control trailer forces. Long wheelbase pick-ups have more trouble finding driving traction than shorter ones though.

Russ
While I pretty much agree with your first sentence and part of your second, I find that having responsive control allows for less fatigue and more comfort, resulting in longer trip time behind the wheel and arriving relaxed.
Of course I think there should be a reasonable balance between TV wheelbase and trailer length.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #32

Name: Suvi
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If your thinking about getting a new tow rig you also need to think about how you camp and what you take with you. In a 13 foot you dont have much room to stuff your supplies. If you like to travel and stop for the night you dont want to have to unload your trailer just to go to sleep. I feel the smaller the trailer the more volume you need in your tow rig. I use a 2001 Nissan pathfinder and by the time I load a cooler Chairs a canopy and a folding hammock and a couple of boxes of food I barely have room to squeeze in the dog. But when I arrive at night with my 13 foot Scamp and just want to crawl into bed I can without having to move stuff around. But I camp mostly in the desert boonies from 5 to 7 days so if you didn't bring it with you, you dont have it. In your shoes the Toyota 4 runner is good the Land Cruiser is better but the FJ cruiser carries 4 people OK but not much else. If I was a minimalist I would use the highlander. I am not a fan of Chevy anything so others would have to judge there. For me if i was doing over again I would pick a truck and put a cap on it. I miss my old Toyota pick-up.

About this: (and sorry if this is a stupid question)... does the tow weight include stuff you take in your actual car (people, pets, luggage) or JUST the trailer and what is in it. In my world, it is likely to just be me and my hound, maybe a friend or two, but I can't see myself using my trailer a ton for cargo. This would mean I could go with a smaller vehicle, correct? If I keep the stuff in the trailer to a minimum (empty water tank, etc.).

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #33

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooveroo View Post
About this: (and sorry if this is a stupid question)... does the tow weight include stuff you take in your actual car (people, pets, luggage) or JUST the trailer and what is in it. In my world, it is likely to just be me and my hound, maybe a friend or two, but I can't see myself using my trailer a ton for cargo. This would mean I could go with a smaller vehicle, correct? If I keep the stuff in the trailer to a minimum (empty water tank, etc.).

Thanks!
The towing spec is one item you need to look & no it does not include what you have loaded in your car but there are a couple of other equally important numbers/specs you need to look at as well when choosing what size trailer you can tow.

The vehicle manufactures specified max tongue weight spec.

The Gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCVWR) Total combined weight of vehicle and trailer, including all passengers, fuel, fluids and cargo.

The Payload spec - The weight of passengers and cargo carried and the tongue weight of the trailer. This one has been known to be a problem one for many.... lots of tow cap but not enough payload to accommodate a car full of passengers and their gear as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Tow vehicles, Outback

New to this forum, owner of fairly stripped 1994 13' Scamp.

I have towed the Scamp with a 1996 AWD Subaru wagon for thousands of miles without any issue. The '96 was rated at 2200 lbs the car would get 28 mpg with out the trailer and 18 towing. Just got a 2014 Outback and it is rated at 2700 and I get about the same milage but I really enjoy the stiffer suspension of the Outback.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.06.24 PM.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #35

Name: Suvi
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Chris, thank you for this! I did indeed go with an outback and am happy with it so far!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Tags
scamp