NEW TOW VEHICLE Ford Ranger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
NEW TOW VEHICLE Ford Ranger

I am looking at getting a new tow vehicle . My 1999 truck is getting old and we're planning a long trip for next summer (5000 to 6000 miles ) I would feel more confident driving a new truck. I can get a 2011 Ford Ranger, ext cab ,4x4 , 4.0 ltr SOHC engine , 5 speed auto with tow pkg and lots of goodies for a good price. The tow rating is 3500 lbs with standard hitch 5700 lbs. with WDH hitch and 9500 lbs. GCVR. Has anyone towed with this truck out west in the mountains? I will be towing a 16 ft. SD scamp standard with bath and I don't want to have to go 20 MPH to go uphill.

Thanks Steve Dunham
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had a Nissan Frontier 4x4 with the same engine, tow package and had no problem pulling a T@da, weight was 3000#. Also mine was stick so your auto should be even better (pain to back up a hill with stick) So you should be fine. Enjoy.

Actually, I was wrong, I was mixing Mazda with Nissan, it was Mazda and Ford that shared the same drivetrain for awhile, sorry for the mixup.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
No worries, with the Ranger you should be able to go at least 35 mph up hills. I'm sorta kidding, but on some of those steep Rocky Mtn grades with the curves, that's as fast as one can go anyhow! Really, though, the Ranger should do fine.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We had a 2003 S-10 with the 4.3 L V-4, (5600 lb. tow rating), but it only had the four speed auto transmission. I give it to my son because it would have to downshift on any steep hill and I would then have to slow way down and have people backed up behind me - something I was not comfortable with. With the five-speed in the Ranger you might not have that problem.

I switched to a full-size truck with a six speed automatic and now I can go with the flow of traffic and don't feel like I'm creating a safety hazard (at worst), or being a nuisance (at best), to everyone behind me. The new truck gets just about the same gas mileage as the old S-10 (15 around town or when towing on an open road, and close to 20 highway when not towing). I also found that full sized trucks sold for about the same as the compact ones - probably because many people think the compact would be much more economical to drive.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We had a 2003 S-10 with the 4.3 L V-4, (5600 lb. tow rating), but it only had the four speed auto transmission. I give it to my son because it would have to downshift on any steep hill and I would then have to slow way down and have people backed up behind me - something I was not comfortable with. With the five-speed in the Ranger you might not have that problem.

I switched to a full-size truck with a six speed automatic and now I can go with the flow of traffic and don't feel like I'm creating a safety hazard (at worst), or being a nuisance (at best), to everyone behind me. The new truck gets just about the same gas mileage as the old S-10 (15 around town or when towing on an open road, and close to 20 highway when not towing). I also found that full sized trucks sold for about the same as the compact ones - probably because many people think the compact would be much more economical to drive.
It is so difficult sometimes for people to understand that not everybody wants an oversized truck, especially since a Ranger can be outfitted to outtow a fullsized V6 truck and even an occasional V8 fullsized truck.
My Ranger has the same transmission and rear axle as it's contemporary fullsized truck and more horsepower and torque than the fullsized V6 offering. The regular cab has more head and leg room as well...All that and the fun of driving a decent sized truck and the ability to access the box!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Registry
Steve,
If you haven't bought the truck yet I suggest you buy the Consumer Reports special edition on buying vehicles. You might not agree with how they rate things, but it's a good starting point. The Ranger was, by far, their lowest rated truck of any size. It received an "overall road-test score" of 25 (out of 100), and the next worst was a 41. They described it as "...dated...with a stiff and choppy ride. The V6 engine is rough and inefficient. The seats are thin and low, and the rear of the SuperCab is suitable for cargo only." That said, it still might fill your needs exactly and turn out to be just what you're looking for.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Steve,
If you haven't bought the truck yet I suggest you buy the Consumer Reports special edition on buying vehicles. You might not agree with how they rate things, but it's a good starting point. The Ranger was, by far, their lowest rated truck of any size. It received an "overall road-test score" of 25 (out of 100), and the next worst was a 41. They described it as "...dated...with a stiff and choppy ride. The V6 engine is rough and inefficient. The seats are thin and low, and the rear of the SuperCab is suitable for cargo only." That said, it still might fill your needs exactly and turn out to be just what you're looking for.
Drive one, you'll finally cancel your subscription to Consumer reports.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Drive one, you'll finally cancel your subscription to Consumer reports.
I often don't see why they rate things as they do. They often place a premium on things that I don't value and vice versa. However, I do think it's a good place to start an investigation. That being said, I just did a quick Google search of car review sites and the low opinion of the Ranger is pretty universal. Edmunds, Car and Driver, and US News all place it at the bottom of the pile - those were the first and only three sites I looked at so maybe someone else likes it. US News looked at 49 published reviews and this is the summary of those reviews: 2011 Ford Ranger Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
I often don't see why they rate things as they do. They often place a premium on things that I don't value and vice versa. However, I do think it's a good place to start an investigation. That being said, I just did a quick Google search of car review sites and the low opinion of the Ranger is pretty universal. Edmunds, Car and Driver, and US News all place it at the bottom of the pile - those were the first and only three sites I looked at so maybe someone else likes it. US News looked at 49 published reviews and this is the summary of those reviews: 2011 Ford Ranger Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars
So drive one, and you'll save even more on worthless magazine subscriptions!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Out of about 8 different pickups I've ever owned, my favorite was one of the early 2.0 Ranger S pickups with stick shift and no options. Had to sell it when I got shipped overseas. Although I really liked it, most people would not have been satisfied with the power or tow capacity of that truck but it was a great commuter truck for the occasional light or bulky load.
I enjoy reading Consumers Reports. Although I don't always agree with their ratings (especially if they rate something "I" chose with a low rating) at least they appear to be fair in their remarks and the measured data is correct.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2006 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I have a 2004 Ranger XLT 2wd, super cab, 4.0 liter, 5 speed auto with factory tow package-
I tow my '06 Casita SD 17' with sway bar and can go wherever I want to go!
I live in the northern Sacramento valley (Redding,CA) and I tow from about 600' here in the valley up over Eskimo hill summit at 5933' and back. Sometimes I pass motor homes and trucks pulling boats going up the hill.... And I get about 16 mpg!
I am very happy with my Ranger.
Likedale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: steve dunham... Yes there are deals to be had on Ford Rangers. Ford wants to get rid of them as they will be orphans going down the road. There's no indication that Ford will reintroduce the new 2012 Ranger World Platform truck for sale in the North American market. Why would their "World Pickup Truck" not be include for sale in N.A.??? MONEY seems to be the only answer!!! They want buyers to get into larger more profitable F150's.
This is precisely why I chose the Nissan Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 for my next tow. It's built in Smyrna Tenn. very capable of towing our Escape 5.0 and carrying 4 passengers and a child safety seat in the center rear seat.
Mileage of 27.7 mpg. not towing and 19.6 towing.
There's an old east coast saying "You pay's your money... and you takes your choose".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #13

Registry
We were very happy with our 2003 Chevy S-10, which was also poorly rated by most of the reviews. If it had had a five speed transmission we would probably still have it today. As is, I gave it to one of our sons and he's very pleased with it since he only tows a motorcycle with it.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: steve dunham... Yes there are deals to be had on Ford Rangers. Ford wants to get rid of them as they will be orphans going down the road. There's no indication that Ford will reintroduce the new 2012 Ranger World Platform truck for sale in the North American market. Why would their "World Pickup Truck" not be include for sale in N.A.??? MONEY seems to be the only answer!!! They want buyers to get into larger more profitable F150's.
This is precisely why I chose the Nissan Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 for my next tow. It's built in Smyrna Tenn. very capable of towing our Escape 5.0 and carrying 4 passengers and a child safety seat in the center rear seat.
There's an old east coast saying "You pay's your money... and you takes your choose".
I believe that works out to 22 mpg (US gallons) when not towing, right? Is that the 4 cyl or the 6?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
In 1992 I bought an extended cab 4 cyl standard shift Ranger without a tow package and was quite happy with it. I actually towed a 20' Grady White walkaround boat about 20 miles each way on the bumper hitch to the boat ramp and it did the job (there was no hills)..... was kind of sluggish for a heavy boat. The V-6 w/tow package would have did it. but i did like that truck
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
The new Nissan Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 has an EPA mileage rating of
(14 city) and (19 highway) without a load!
You'd better keep that one!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #17

Registry
Hi: floyd...Our gallon is bigger 'n yours and up here we measure in liters/100 kilometers. Besides towing in the U.S. I get 16.5 mpg 'cause of the Ethenol content but your gallon is cheaper!!! It's all in the way you look at it...but I'm happy with this truck and the mileage it gets.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I believe that works out to 22 mpg (US gallons) when not towing, right? Is that the 4 cyl or the 6?
Hi: Mike Magee...That's highway mileage on a straight run of 6-8hrs with some traffic tieups. It's the 4ltr. V6 5spd. auto OD. I really like it!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #19

Name: Gene
Trailer: Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Ranger

I have a 2008 Ford Ranger 4X4,auto. I use it as my daily driver and also for pulling my 4500 Trillium. I put my boat on the rack on my truck and my camping gear in the bed.. I have no problems with this outfit. Gene
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Thank you all for your help and advice. Unfortunately I ran into a problem with purchasing a Ranger ,not with Ford or Ranger but the dealer. (only one for many miles). With Ford discontinuing the Ranger , selection is limited and the dealer is using that as leverage. I purchased a 2011 Ram 1500 SLT ,quad cab ,V8 with automatic transmission. I can now tow 8550 lbs. per owners manual , a little overkill for my 2500 LB. Scamp , but I will not be 1000 Lbs over my GCVW rating like I was in my old truck.

Thanks Steve Dunham
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote