NEW TOW VEHICLE Ford Ranger - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
NEW TOW VEHICLE Ford Ranger

I am looking at getting a new tow vehicle . My 1999 truck is getting old and we're planning a long trip for next summer (5000 to 6000 miles ) I would feel more confident driving a new truck. I can get a 2011 Ford Ranger, ext cab ,4x4 , 4.0 ltr SOHC engine , 5 speed auto with tow pkg and lots of goodies for a good price. The tow rating is 3500 lbs with standard hitch 5700 lbs. with WDH hitch and 9500 lbs. GCVR. Has anyone towed with this truck out west in the mountains? I will be towing a 16 ft. SD scamp standard with bath and I don't want to have to go 20 MPH to go uphill.

Thanks Steve Dunham
__________________

__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
I had a Nissan Frontier 4x4 with the same engine, tow package and had no problem pulling a T@da, weight was 3000#. Also mine was stick so your auto should be even better (pain to back up a hill with stick) So you should be fine. Enjoy.

Actually, I was wrong, I was mixing Mazda with Nissan, it was Mazda and Ford that shared the same drivetrain for awhile, sorry for the mixup.
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,143
No worries, with the Ranger you should be able to go at least 35 mph up hills. I'm sorta kidding, but on some of those steep Rocky Mtn grades with the curves, that's as fast as one can go anyhow! Really, though, the Ranger should do fine.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
We had a 2003 S-10 with the 4.3 L V-4, (5600 lb. tow rating), but it only had the four speed auto transmission. I give it to my son because it would have to downshift on any steep hill and I would then have to slow way down and have people backed up behind me - something I was not comfortable with. With the five-speed in the Ranger you might not have that problem.

I switched to a full-size truck with a six speed automatic and now I can go with the flow of traffic and don't feel like I'm creating a safety hazard (at worst), or being a nuisance (at best), to everyone behind me. The new truck gets just about the same gas mileage as the old S-10 (15 around town or when towing on an open road, and close to 20 highway when not towing). I also found that full sized trucks sold for about the same as the compact ones - probably because many people think the compact would be much more economical to drive.
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We had a 2003 S-10 with the 4.3 L V-4, (5600 lb. tow rating), but it only had the four speed auto transmission. I give it to my son because it would have to downshift on any steep hill and I would then have to slow way down and have people backed up behind me - something I was not comfortable with. With the five-speed in the Ranger you might not have that problem.

I switched to a full-size truck with a six speed automatic and now I can go with the flow of traffic and don't feel like I'm creating a safety hazard (at worst), or being a nuisance (at best), to everyone behind me. The new truck gets just about the same gas mileage as the old S-10 (15 around town or when towing on an open road, and close to 20 highway when not towing). I also found that full sized trucks sold for about the same as the compact ones - probably because many people think the compact would be much more economical to drive.
It is so difficult sometimes for people to understand that not everybody wants an oversized truck, especially since a Ranger can be outfitted to outtow a fullsized V6 truck and even an occasional V8 fullsized truck.
My Ranger has the same transmission and rear axle as it's contemporary fullsized truck and more horsepower and torque than the fullsized V6 offering. The regular cab has more head and leg room as well...All that and the fun of driving a decent sized truck and the ability to access the box!
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
Steve,
If you haven't bought the truck yet I suggest you buy the Consumer Reports special edition on buying vehicles. You might not agree with how they rate things, but it's a good starting point. The Ranger was, by far, their lowest rated truck of any size. It received an "overall road-test score" of 25 (out of 100), and the next worst was a 41. They described it as "...dated...with a stiff and choppy ride. The V6 engine is rough and inefficient. The seats are thin and low, and the rear of the SuperCab is suitable for cargo only." That said, it still might fill your needs exactly and turn out to be just what you're looking for.
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Steve,
If you haven't bought the truck yet I suggest you buy the Consumer Reports special edition on buying vehicles. You might not agree with how they rate things, but it's a good starting point. The Ranger was, by far, their lowest rated truck of any size. It received an "overall road-test score" of 25 (out of 100), and the next worst was a 41. They described it as "...dated...with a stiff and choppy ride. The V6 engine is rough and inefficient. The seats are thin and low, and the rear of the SuperCab is suitable for cargo only." That said, it still might fill your needs exactly and turn out to be just what you're looking for.
Drive one, you'll finally cancel your subscription to Consumer reports.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Drive one, you'll finally cancel your subscription to Consumer reports.
I often don't see why they rate things as they do. They often place a premium on things that I don't value and vice versa. However, I do think it's a good place to start an investigation. That being said, I just did a quick Google search of car review sites and the low opinion of the Ranger is pretty universal. Edmunds, Car and Driver, and US News all place it at the bottom of the pile - those were the first and only three sites I looked at so maybe someone else likes it. US News looked at 49 published reviews and this is the summary of those reviews: 2011 Ford Ranger Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I often don't see why they rate things as they do. They often place a premium on things that I don't value and vice versa. However, I do think it's a good place to start an investigation. That being said, I just did a quick Google search of car review sites and the low opinion of the Ranger is pretty universal. Edmunds, Car and Driver, and US News all place it at the bottom of the pile - those were the first and only three sites I looked at so maybe someone else likes it. US News looked at 49 published reviews and this is the summary of those reviews: 2011 Ford Ranger Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars
So drive one, and you'll save even more on worthless magazine subscriptions!
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Radar1's Avatar
 
Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Posts: 767
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I often don't see why they rate things as they do. They often place a premium on things that I don't value and vice versa. However, I do think it's a good place to start an investigation. That being said, I just did a quick Google search of car review sites and the low opinion of the Ranger is pretty universal. Edmunds, Car and Driver, and US News all place it at the bottom of the pile - those were the first and only three sites I looked at so maybe someone else likes it. US News looked at 49 published reviews and this is the summary of those reviews: 2011 Ford Ranger Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars
Out of about 8 different pickups I've ever owned, my favorite was one of the early 2.0 Ranger S pickups with stick shift and no options. Had to sell it when I got shipped overseas. Although I really liked it, most people would not have been satisfied with the power or tow capacity of that truck but it was a great commuter truck for the occasional light or bulky load.
I enjoy reading Consumers Reports. Although I don't always agree with their ratings (especially if they rate something "I" chose with a low rating) at least they appear to be fair in their remarks and the measured data is correct.
__________________
John-Dave and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota V-8 and 17 Dodge Durango V-6
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 2006 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Posts: 5
I have a 2004 Ranger XLT 2wd, super cab, 4.0 liter, 5 speed auto with factory tow package-
I tow my '06 Casita SD 17' with sway bar and can go wherever I want to go!
I live in the northern Sacramento valley (Redding,CA) and I tow from about 600' here in the valley up over Eskimo hill summit at 5933' and back. Sometimes I pass motor homes and trucks pulling boats going up the hill.... And I get about 16 mpg!
I am very happy with my Ranger.
__________________
Likedale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,816
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: steve dunham... Yes there are deals to be had on Ford Rangers. Ford wants to get rid of them as they will be orphans going down the road. There's no indication that Ford will reintroduce the new 2012 Ranger World Platform truck for sale in the North American market. Why would their "World Pickup Truck" not be include for sale in N.A.??? MONEY seems to be the only answer!!! They want buyers to get into larger more profitable F150's.
This is precisely why I chose the Nissan Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 for my next tow. It's built in Smyrna Tenn. very capable of towing our Escape 5.0 and carrying 4 passengers and a child safety seat in the center rear seat.
Mileage of 27.7 mpg. not towing and 19.6 towing.
There's an old east coast saying "You pay's your money... and you takes your choose".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
We were very happy with our 2003 Chevy S-10, which was also poorly rated by most of the reviews. If it had had a five speed transmission we would probably still have it today. As is, I gave it to one of our sons and he's very pleased with it since he only tows a motorcycle with it.
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: steve dunham... Yes there are deals to be had on Ford Rangers. Ford wants to get rid of them as they will be orphans going down the road. There's no indication that Ford will reintroduce the new 2012 Ranger World Platform truck for sale in the North American market. Why would their "World Pickup Truck" not be include for sale in N.A.??? MONEY seems to be the only answer!!! They want buyers to get into larger more profitable F150's.
This is precisely why I chose the Nissan Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 for my next tow. It's built in Smyrna Tenn. very capable of towing our Escape 5.0 and carrying 4 passengers and a child safety seat in the center rear seat.
Mileage of 27.7 mpg. not towing and 19.6 towing.
There's an old east coast saying "You pay's your money... and you takes your choose".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I believe that works out to 22 mpg (US gallons) when not towing, right? Is that the 4 cyl or the 6?
__________________

__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Escape as a Tow Vehicle Booker B. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 9 05-04-2008 11:42 PM
seat covers for '03 Ford Ranger Jeanne and Steve Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 17 02-22-2007 07:57 PM
Ford Ranger mileage Bonnie Witt General Chat 6 01-15-2007 10:37 AM
96 Ford Ranger for sale Shelley Classified Archives 0 01-09-2006 11:29 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.