New Truck, Unsure of Scamp Coupler Height - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
New Truck, Unsure of Scamp Coupler Height

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all are happy and well. I haven't posted a question in a while, but could use some insight. I bought a new to me 2015 Silverado 1500 Z71, but my Scamp is in storage, on jacks, about 45 miles from here.

I can't quite remember the coupler height on my 2012 Scamp 13...so long ago that I had to work all that out with my last vehicle. Maybe 16-3/4, but that seems high. My Silverado has a hitch height of 20 inches.

Wondering if I should get one of those adjustable ball mounts for the first trip out to pick her up, as I'm so unsure, or just take chances with either a 3-1/4 or 4 inch drop?

I'll never use the adjustable again, as I'd rather have a dedicated ball mount. And there's nobody at the building it's stored to have check it, which is rather pointless anyway as it's on jacks.

The adjustables I've seen seem to increase by 1-1/2 inches, with a Connor going from 3 to 4-1/2 and so on. I wonder if 3 inch drop would put me nose up, and 4-1/2 drop put me nose down? Was originally thinking to buy a 4 inch drop and that oughta do it for the 40 miles or so home...I've got ball mounts everywhere, but no size like what I think I'll need.

Just wondered what you would all do. There's not alot of stores around where my trailer is stored at the lake, so my choices on the day of Scamp pick up will be limited.

Much obliged,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
https://www.scamptrailers.com/ask-sc...re-you-go.html

Per Scamp 18”
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Stingers

Buy one of each size. Take the ones back that don’t work. Will need something to tighten the ball down on the stinger wherever you put the two together.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
If'n it was me Wendy, I'd take a 4" drop as that should be close and bring her home. Take some other route if the freeway speeds seem iffy to you and do the fine adjustments later.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:19 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Any chance of measuring the height on the old tow?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #6

New York
Registry
Old tug is gone. I just checked in garage, I have a 3-1/4 drop without a ball. I could indeed just buy the 4" drop, and if my 3-1/4 works, take it back. I'm just not crazy for consistently using an adjustable ball mount, although I know plenty of people do. Hopefully, when I get out to pick up the Scamp, one of these will work, as there's no place to shop for many miles, which was a big part of my dilemma.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Scamp says 16 - 18" I would plan for a 16 inch height as you want the trailer to be level to nose down.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Scamp says 16 - 18" I would plan for a 16 inch height as you want the trailer to be level to nose down.
+1. Good advice. That will get you on your way. If you don't like the look of it a stinger and ball costs $20 more or less and can be found at any Wally world. The tightening of the ball (200+ ft lbs) requires a big wrench. Wally World sells that too. An RV place will probably do it for you for a couple bucks more. That's what I would do. Good luck with the new tow.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #9

New York
Registry
Sage advice gentlemen. I ordered a Curt 4" drop, with ball attached, for $27 and change after reading your posts. That should pretty much do me to get home, and I'm hoping that it's spot on of course!

Excited about the new to me truck, as I've been driving a wheelchair van with Rwd for several years now. Terrible daily driver here in lake effect snow country, so I sold it and plan on getting a wheelchair van service to bring my brother home now and again.

I love the truck, feels good to be back in one again! I missed my little S10, and this is alot more truck for me, but I'm enjoying the drive!

Thank you so very much,
Wendy
Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #10

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
The Better Idea:
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-1...tch-95991.html
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #11

New York
Registry
Thank you, Neto, I did see that in my Internet travels, but decided to go with a 4" drop ball mount because that one from Harbor Freight starts at a 5" drop for it's high point, which is too low for my set up. But thank you very much for looking and your help!

Tags
scamp