New Tug, have wiring ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Registry
Tim,
I used a 6-ft pigtail. I used the same entry point as the old 4-flat wiring, which is underneath (as opposed to thru the front of the camper as some have it) and up into the front left storage space. I have only 4-6 inches to spare, but enough to be able to crank the tow vehicle both right and left as sharp as possible. My junction box is toward the front of the storage area, so that helps. I'd probably choose an 8-footer if I did it over so I could have room to put it toward the side, but the 6-footer was all our local store had and I didn't feel like ordering. I'll attach a pic that will show the pigtail laying on the ground and the amount of slack I have.

Also, I'll attach a pic showing the box inside, with the top opened.

As for the breakaway switch, I ran the wires from the switch up inside along side the pigtail, and wired them into the box (one wire to the battery/power terminal, the other to the brake wiring terminal).

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
P1030589.jpg   P1030596.jpg  

Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Luke, Thanks for taking the time to post the pics I appreciate it. By the way I ordered an 8' 7-way, along with the junction box from E-trailer this morning where I got the rest of my wiring stuff. And I asked about the wiring matching what I all ready purchased and they said it did. My trailer wire comes out the opposite of yours on the right side and in the front like you mentioned. I will probably run my new brakes wires, battery charger wires, & breakaway switch through another hole that I'll drill through the floor. Unless I can make them all fit through the front, I'll have to see. I will also run 110v under the couch right side so I can plug my charger into it, that way I can just keep it plugged in all the time.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #17

Iowa
Registry
Good plan! I intended on running them thru a rubber grommet, but after all of the wires got in there - wasn't enough room. I was in a time crunch so made my own, not quite as clean. Then caulked it from the top and bottom to seal it off and keep it dry.

I put in a Prog Dynamics converter and would have loved to place it under that front seat but there wasn't room. So ran charge wire up thru the juction box, to the battery, to keep it charged when plugged into 110v. Lots to keep track of!

And by the way, you'll like using the plug. I started without one, and quickly figured out it's a much cleaner way to keep everything safe as it goes to the tow vehicle! And isn't e-trailer great?!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #18

NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Good plan! I intended on running them thru a rubber grommet, but after all of the wires got in there - wasn't enough room. I was in a time crunch so made my own, not quite as clean. Then caulked it from the top and bottom to seal it off and keep it dry.

I put in a Prog Dynamics converter and would have loved to place it under that front seat but there wasn't room. So ran charge wire up thru the juction box, to the battery, to keep it charged when plugged into 110v. Lots to keep track of!

And by the way, you'll like using the plug. I started without one, and quickly figured out it's a much cleaner way to keep everything safe as it goes to the tow vehicle! And isn't e-trailer great?!

Yes E-trailer is great , very nice people and they ship right out quick too. My trailer never had a converter and I really don't need one, just need my little battery tender under the couch where the junction box is going, and to have a 110v plug there for it to go into. I had a converter in another trailer that cooked my battery, so after that I don't really care for them. I know they have come a long way with smart charge etc., but just don't need it. Well I should have the brakes on in the next couple of days, then when the rest comes in I'll tackle the wiring . It will be nice to have this job done as I was going to wait until fall. And you are right I will like using the molded 7-way. Thanks,Tim
Old 08-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #19

NY
Well, I have the new Tug wired, and I have finished wiring the Scamp to a Junction box along with a new 7way 8' pigtail. It all went pretty good, I did have a couple of wires crossed from the trailer. So that was an easy fix, just switched them around. And I got the electric brake kit for my 13'er, they came with some missing parts so had to wait a few days for them to arrive. While I was waiting I painted the frame with rustoleum. And I have installed all new Led marker lights on both sides (4) . I took the trailer out today to test the brakes, they seem to be working. I do think my prodigy 2 is a little more sensitive than the one I had before in a different tug. But they do seem to work, and the new tug a 09 Kia Sedona pulls the little trailer with no problem. I think our next outing is going to be the SOI Watkins Glen Sept 9th. We are only staying two nights but should be fun. Might go up to the Adirondack's before the end of the month too. Thanks to Luke/Eddie for the help on the Junction box, that sure makes a slick way to wire in a pigtail.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #20

Iowa
Registry
Glad it all came together! I have the Prodigy P3 and it seems more sensitive to me too. We just completed 3 weeks on the road with the Boler, mostly mountain driving out west, and the brakes were nice!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #21

NY
Luke, Thanks and I'm glad I went the route of the junction box, and the brakes will be nice also. I have a rivet job to do and pull the back window and put in new butyl tape. I'm thinking on going with stainless bolts/nuts, we'll see.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #22

NY
Just thought I would post a pic of the work I did on the 13. I tied in the trailer wiring using a junction box, where I tied into with a new pigtail 8' long for the 7way plug, then I put in a 110v wall socket, where I have a Battery Tender Plus plugged into and then ran wires into junction box. This is so when plugged into shore power its charging the battery also . Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040855.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	39183
Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #23

Iowa
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Just thought I would post a pic of the work I did on the 13. I tied in the trailer wiring using a junction box, where I tied into with a new pigtail 8' long for the 7way plug, then I put in a 110v wall socket, where I have a Battery Tender Plus plugged into and then ran wires into junction box. This is so when plugged into shore power its charging the battery also . Attachment 39183

looks great Tim! did you have trouble getting the top of the junction box on? mine is so full, it hardly will cover/tighten....