New Tug, have wiring ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
New Tug, have wiring ?

I'm getting a 09 Kia Sedona later today and have to put a trailer hitch on etc. I'm just wondering for those who have put brakes on their 13 Scamp,Boler etc, what did you use for a plug 7way or 5way ?
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
7 way
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way-plug.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	38018
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Kevin thanks I figured the 7way, just wanted to see what someone else thought.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tim, you'll find the seven pin diagrams in the Document Center, both vehicle and trailer ends: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Electrical

Yep, Kevin has it right.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Hey Tim, just a sidenote... I just installed a 7-plug as I rewired my Boler and I took it for granted that the standard wiring schematic would be "standard". Or maybe I should say that I "assumed" ... and we all know what happens when we assume! Yep, the plug's black wire went to the brakes, the blue wire to a turn signal, etc etc. STUPID me for not doing a 30 sec check with my meter BEFORE wiring it all up. It was a tense hour until the realization hit that it was the plug that was messed up - NOT the re-wiring job in the trailer! So, just a warning to double check that your plug you buy, actually matches up with the rest of the world's 7 plug standard. OH, and I have a brand TAP 7 wire plug, fwiw.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #6

Thanks Donna & Luke, good info. I have the Tug almost wired just have to run a couple of wires to the front of the vehicle. And mount my p2 controller so I can make the last connections . Then I have to put brakes on the trailer next.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Tim
I had the same problem with a pigtail that Luke had. I use junction boxes with my 7 pin pigtails, It really helps out in sorting out wiring issues and protects the connections. Redneck and E trailer sell the boxes for about $15.
Eddie

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...tch/38656.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #8

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I have wiring issues too. Can you link to those connectors, I don't know what I am looking for
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Meghan
I added a link to my last post for the junction box. Check out the video. Even thought they are just dealing with brake wiring you do the same to tie your lighting, aux. pwr, and breakway wiring into the 7 pin pigtail. On my 13 Scamp I'm working on, I going to mount the box under the left side of the goucho seat base inside the trailer. Makes a much cleaner job than butt splices and it is real easy to troubleshoot wiring issues.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #10

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Meghan
I added a link to my last post for the junction box. Check out the video. Even thought they are just dealing with brake wiring you do the same to tie your lighting, aux. pwr, and breakway wiring into the 7 pin pigtail. On my 13 Scamp I'm working on, I going to mount the box under the left side of the goucho seat base inside the trailer. Makes a much cleaner job than butt splices and it is real easy to troubleshoot wiring issues.
Eddie
Cool! Thanks!!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Hey Tim, just a sidenote... I just installed a 7-plug as I rewired my Boler and I took it for granted that the standard wiring schematic would be "standard". Or maybe I should say that I "assumed" ... and we all know what happens when we assume! Yep, the plug's black wire went to the brakes, the blue wire to a turn signal, etc etc. STUPID me for not doing a 30 sec check with my meter BEFORE wiring it all up. It was a tense hour until the realization hit that it was the plug that was messed up - NOT the re-wiring job in the trailer! So, just a warning to double check that your plug you buy, actually matches up with the rest of the world's 7 plug standard. OH, and I have a brand TAP 7 wire plug, fwiw.
Hi, all

Wise words!
Most of the "Fat and Flat(pin) 7-pin connectors on older trailers are old-style Bargmans, and the trailers are wired to match.
You need to make sure you've bought the right car-or-trailer pigtail/plug or be prepared to rewire what you did buy.
One source for an exact duplicate of both ends is Bargman 7-Way Cable

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

When I bought my Scamp it had a 6 pin connector on it, I changed it to a flat 4. And now I'm going to put brakes on it so it will be a 7 pole. I just got done wiring up my Van today, I put on a 7 pole connector along with a P2 brake controller. Man that was a work out running the wires I had to underneath and up to the engine compartment. The hitch only took me 30 minutes to put on and that was the easy part. Eddie thanks for that link, it sure looks like a sweet set-up. I know that my trailer lights aren't the same color code as my vehicle, but I worked that out with a test light when I changed it from 6-4. Now I have the electric brakes coming Wed so I'll probably get to work and putting them on thurs/fri I hope. I shouldn't have much trouble with the wiring but that junction box looks like a cheap and good way to go.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #13

Registry
I second Eddie's junction box! THAT was the only reason my fix was *relatively* painless when I discovered the pigtail didn't match the tow's wiring. And I put mine in the same spot... pretty close and easy to get at if needed.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #14

So Eddie or Luke if you mount the box inside the trailer, how long of a pigtail do you use to get out to the tongue (8')? By the way I'm not planning on using a pigtail but I may change my mind . And does anyone have a picture of the mounted box inside ? And how do you wire in your breakeaway switch if your wiring is all inside the trailer ?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #15

Registry
Tim,
I used a 6-ft pigtail. I used the same entry point as the old 4-flat wiring, which is underneath (as opposed to thru the front of the camper as some have it) and up into the front left storage space. I have only 4-6 inches to spare, but enough to be able to crank the tow vehicle both right and left as sharp as possible. My junction box is toward the front of the storage area, so that helps. I'd probably choose an 8-footer if I did it over so I could have room to put it toward the side, but the 6-footer was all our local store had and I didn't feel like ordering. I'll attach a pic that will show the pigtail laying on the ground and the amount of slack I have.

Also, I'll attach a pic showing the box inside, with the top opened.

As for the breakaway switch, I ran the wires from the switch up inside along side the pigtail, and wired them into the box (one wire to the battery/power terminal, the other to the brake wiring terminal).

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
P1030589.jpg   P1030596.jpg  

Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #16

Luke, Thanks for taking the time to post the pics I appreciate it. By the way I ordered an 8' 7-way, along with the junction box from E-trailer this morning where I got the rest of my wiring stuff. And I asked about the wiring matching what I all ready purchased and they said it did. My trailer wire comes out the opposite of yours on the right side and in the front like you mentioned. I will probably run my new brakes wires, battery charger wires, & breakaway switch through another hole that I'll drill through the floor. Unless I can make them all fit through the front, I'll have to see. I will also run 110v under the couch right side so I can plug my charger into it, that way I can just keep it plugged in all the time.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #17

Registry
Good plan! I intended on running them thru a rubber grommet, but after all of the wires got in there - wasn't enough room. I was in a time crunch so made my own, not quite as clean. Then caulked it from the top and bottom to seal it off and keep it dry.

I put in a Prog Dynamics converter and would have loved to place it under that front seat but there wasn't room. So ran charge wire up thru the juction box, to the battery, to keep it charged when plugged into 110v. Lots to keep track of!

And by the way, you'll like using the plug. I started without one, and quickly figured out it's a much cleaner way to keep everything safe as it goes to the tow vehicle! And isn't e-trailer great?!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Good plan! I intended on running them thru a rubber grommet, but after all of the wires got in there - wasn't enough room. I was in a time crunch so made my own, not quite as clean. Then caulked it from the top and bottom to seal it off and keep it dry.

I put in a Prog Dynamics converter and would have loved to place it under that front seat but there wasn't room. So ran charge wire up thru the juction box, to the battery, to keep it charged when plugged into 110v. Lots to keep track of!

And by the way, you'll like using the plug. I started without one, and quickly figured out it's a much cleaner way to keep everything safe as it goes to the tow vehicle! And isn't e-trailer great?!

Yes E-trailer is great , very nice people and they ship right out quick too. My trailer never had a converter and I really don't need one, just need my little battery tender under the couch where the junction box is going, and to have a 110v plug there for it to go into. I had a converter in another trailer that cooked my battery, so after that I don't really care for them. I know they have come a long way with smart charge etc., but just don't need it. Well I should have the brakes on in the next couple of days, then when the rest comes in I'll tackle the wiring . It will be nice to have this job done as I was going to wait until fall. And you are right I will like using the molded 7-way. Thanks,Tim
Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #19

Well, I have the new Tug wired, and I have finished wiring the Scamp to a Junction box along with a new 7way 8' pigtail. It all went pretty good, I did have a couple of wires crossed from the trailer. So that was an easy fix, just switched them around. And I got the electric brake kit for my 13'er, they came with some missing parts so had to wait a few days for them to arrive. While I was waiting I painted the frame with rustoleum. And I have installed all new Led marker lights on both sides (4) . I took the trailer out today to test the brakes, they seem to be working. I do think my prodigy 2 is a little more sensitive than the one I had before in a different tug. But they do seem to work, and the new tug a 09 Kia Sedona pulls the little trailer with no problem. I think our next outing is going to be the SOI Watkins Glen Sept 9th. We are only staying two nights but should be fun. Might go up to the Adirondack's before the end of the month too. Thanks to Luke/Eddie for the help on the Junction box, that sure makes a slick way to wire in a pigtail.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #20

Registry
Glad it all came together! I have the Prodigy P3 and it seems more sensitive to me too. We just completed 3 weeks on the road with the Boler, mostly mountain driving out west, and the brakes were nice!