New Years Resolution and Tongue Weight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #15

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
The Sherline or a homebuilt equivalent is probably the sensible way to go.
Not at my home!

Old 01-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Thanks for the primer Frederick! So, you're saying I have to "drop" the tongue on the scale to get it to work? JUST KIDDING! Sigh, I'll continue my cheap quest for a scale that goes to 400# and doesn't cost an arm and a leg...until that Birthday Bunny comes through. I'm really not into using wood and bricks and tape measures....

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Donna, Not sure what scale you are looking at but if it is anything like this

http://www.ebazillions.com/i-B0000AHSA8.html

I sure wouldn't want it. If that link doesn't come up I just did a search on weight watchers scale and found [b]a glass thing that is digital.
Quote:
So, you're saying I have to "drop" the tongue on the scale to get it to work?
You don't realize how much I'd really like to see that, Donna!
We have one of those in our show room.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I tried the bathroom scale method (with levers and proportions), about 325#. Now I want to try trailer weight (un-hitched) minus axle weight = tongue weight. No urgency, as I have an Equal-i-zer WDH. Resolution: weigh the Casita in 2007!
I tried the using a bathroom scale. It worked perfectly. I have a tongue weight with freshwater/blackwater tanks empty, battery and full propane came out to 255lbs. Mine is a 13ft scamp with the front bathroom. I've always wondered why the trailer towed heavy.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Not at my home!
You might be surprised. I'm not minimizing the value of the commercial product, but all you need is a hydraulic cylinder and a pressure gauge - it could be done without welding, machining, or anything requiring exceptional skills.

Hmm... now do I have to make one to confirm this?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #20

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
Hmm... now do I have to make one to confirm this?
Yes, but you have to have one hand tied behind your back while doing so.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #21

Trailer:
That Sherline gauge looks like a wonderful piece of kit, but I would suspect the accuracy and price are more than is really needed for this job. In Yurp, we can buy the simple gauge on the left for $20-30, although I'm impressed by the idea of Winterhoff to incorporate a scale into the jockey wheel (the holdy-up thing at the front whose American name I've just forgotten....).

Click image for larger version

Name:	noseweight_gauge.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	5850

The noseweight (oops, tongue weight) guage is so simple - two pieces of tube and a spring - that you'd think someone might see this as a business opportunity.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
jockey_wheel_gauge.jpg  
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #22

Alberta
I think that spring scale built into the tongue jack is genius, as long as it is not too "springy". The user must realize that the indicated weight is higher than the actual tongue weight, due to the position of the jack; however, this is just a constant multiplying factor so it is an easy correction to make.

The only issue I see with the separate spring scale is that it looks like it might not be adjustable, and yet the coupler must be at the towing height for the weight reading to be valid. Are coupler heights standardized in Europe?

And one more question... the Winterhoff site refers to "the new 100 kmph ruling": does anybody know what that is? Some sort of rule about minimum or maximum nose weight for operation above 100 km/h, perhaps?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #23
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Find someone with a platform scale for weighing livestock.
They run up to and over a 1000lbs.
We had a electronic one I built into our llama chute for when we did any vet work on the animals. We would weigh our llamas, dogs and cat every 30 days. If someone didn't believe a bale of hay weighed 65 lbs. I would the throw it in there and check the weight.
It cost us $1400 but it was well worth it.
Most farmers would be glad to help you.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #24

Trailer:
Quote:
... the Winterhoff site refers to "the new 100 kmph ruling": does anybody know what that is?
In Germany trailers can pass a technical inspection that allows them to be towed at 100km/hr (62mph) instead of the usual trailer limit of 80km/hr (50mph). I don't know all the details, but one thing they require for this is to have dampers (shock absorbers) fitted to the trailer.

Andrew
Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Dumb question - if your towing vehicle says it can handle 1,500 pounds - does that include all the people inside your vehicle too?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
Dumb question - if your towing vehicle says it can handle 1,500 pounds - does that include all the people inside your vehicle too?
Here are some Terms defind. I hope this helps.

[b]Gross Combination Weight (GCW):
Total weight of a fully equipped vehicle and trailer with cargo, driver and passengers, fuel, coolant, equipment, etc.

[b]Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR):
Maximum allowable gross combination weight (GCW).

[b]Gross Trailer Weight (GTW):
The weight of the trailer plus all the cargo in it. This is measured by putting a fully loaded trailer on a scale.

[b]Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR):
Maximum allowable weight of the trailer, plus its cargo.

[b]Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW):
The total weight of the tow vehicle, including driver, passengers, any special equipment (options, accessories and upfitted equipment), cargo, fuel, coolant, etc.

[b]Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR):
The maximum allowable total weight of the tow vehicle, including driver, passengers, any special equipment (options, accessories and upfitted equipment), cargo, fuel, coolant, etc.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 AM   #27

Alberta
Quote:
So to apply the terms which Mike defined...

1,500 lbs is the Gross Trailer Weight Rating. The people in the vehicle count towards the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and the Gross Combination Weight (GCW); you might still be able to tow a trailer weighing the whole 1,500 lb even with a few passengers, as long as your GVW isn't more than the GVWR and the GCW isn't more than the GCWR.

For instance, the GTWR for my Sienna is 3,500 lb. I could carry several hundred pounds of people and cargo in the van before the total of everything hit my GCWR, or the weight of the van and contents (and hitch weight) hit my GVWR, but I couldn't carry as much as would be possible without the trailer.

For many vehicles, especially trucks, the GTWR is calculated assuming nothing but one 150 lb driver in the vehicle; in that case, the trailer rating (GTWR) looks really high, but in practice you would have to subtract the passenger weight.

So if you get all of the ratings for your particular vehicle - not just the GTWR - you can determine the answer... for that vehicle.

It's [b]not a dumb question!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
The only issue I see with the separate spring scale is that it looks like it might not be adjustable, and yet the coupler must be at the towing height for the weight reading to be valid.
Uh... not to state the obvious here, Brian... but uh... that's what wood leveling blocks are for?

Sorry Brian... couldn't help m'self...

BTW, here's a link to the Sherline scale for $99.95

Going to my room now!

Roger

Tags
weighing, weight