Newbie - where do I start? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #1

Name: Suvi
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Newbie - where do I start?

Hi all,

I just learned that I am the VERY happy recipient of my grandparents old boler, which has been parked for the better part of 20 years. Restoring it is going to be a labour of love, believe me! However, my first order of business is getting it off the island and over to the mainland. Tires are complete junk. Not sure about the axle. Should I have it towed to a mechanic first?? Any ideas of where to start? I have NEVER done anything like this so any info is helpful. Thanks!
sooveroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #2

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Welcome Suvi,

I think that if the trailer has been sitting that long, it would be a great idea to have a mechanic look at the axle, grease the wheel bearings, examine the elrctric brakes (if applicable). Beats having something catastrophic happen on the drive home.

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Suvi, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums, you'll receive excellent advice when you have questions.

How exciting for you to receive such a great gift!

Pictures, do you have pictures? We love to follow along on a newly acquired rollin' home.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
If you can resource a tilt trailer, you can use a come- along to winch it onto.
Strap it down and your on your way. You can figure the rest out once you get it home.
Nothing better, owning sometime that comes with great memories.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Congrats on the unit. I agree with Rick. Get it checked out first. Remember: "The cheep comes out expensive". Welcome to the forum Suvi.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Suvi, as your on the Island there are a large number of boat trailer and axle repair places you should be able to get to look at your trailer. Phone around. To just get your trailer off the Island you are looking about $190 in ferry costs (same again to get it back) the cost of which would go a long ways towards new tires and an axle if one is needed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
How wonderful for you! Welcome to the group, we'll be looking forward to following your restoration progress. (and seeing many photos we love photos)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If it's really been sitting for 20 years I wouldn't even move it without new tires and bearing service.

Its not all that hard to put it on blocks, pull the wheels and hubs, and get things taken care of first.

If not, think about the possible collateral damage to the trailer when a tire blows out while you are trying to tow it even a few miles to a garage.....

Also: Take a good look at the frame for rust damage as well, esp right where the frame exits the front of the coach.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote