Newby on towing vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Newby on towing vehicle

I'm getting a Kia Sportage LX 4 cylinder 2.0L manual to tow my casita patriot I plan to buy. Any feedback? (Hope it works).
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
I'm getting a Kia Sportage LX 4 cylinder 2.0L manual to tow my casita patriot I plan to buy. Any feedback? (Hope it works).
Don't hope. Look in the owner's manual or on line to find out the rated towing capacity for the Kia. Check here to see what a realistic loaded weight is for the Casita you plan to buy.

2013 Kia Sportage Base 4dr SUV 2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual Features and Specs
Attached Thumbnails
kia.JPG  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's only one Casita Patriot listed on weights list, I believe that one has the bathroom. You might make it without a bathroom. Better yet, a Scamp without the bathroom is even lighter.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #4

Indiana
Registry
No way I can go without bathroom as I plan to be off grid as much as possible. Thanks. Already checked tow factor. Same as Crv. 1500 us - more in Europe.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You don't mention the Sportage model year but since it has a 1500 pound tow limit, it sounds like a new or near-new unit.

I've towed the heavier Trillium 4500 for many miles with a 2.0L manual tranny Sportage 4x4, but mine is a first-gen vehicle. These have higher tow limits due in part to their having been built on a different platform than that used for succeeding generations. Though it's been a marvelous rig for my purposes, it so little resembles the present-day version that any blanket recommendation from me would be meaningless.

The one observation you may find useful is that the 2.0L four-cyl is a bit gutless when towing on uphill climbs, which may be an issue for you since I think the newer Sportage is also quite a bit heavier than mine. This may be one of the reasons they lowered the towing capacity- more muscle needed to move the car equals less muscle available to move the trailer. That's assuming of course that we're talking about the same 2.0L.

I will say that it's been a remarkably trouble-free vehicle in spite of having been put through all kinds of h-e-double-pitchforks in the 150,000 miles I've owned it. Whether that's a fluke or due to quality-of-build I cannot say.

Best of luck to you!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Francesca,

What year was your Kia manufactured? What does your Trillium weigh? What is your tongue weight?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Registry
My Kia's a 1997, one of a generation that went more or less unchanged from 1996 through 2002. It has an ordinary hitch installed by U-Haul. No frills or add-ons there.

The trailer weighs just shy of 2,000 pounds loaded...tongue weight kept at around 200 pounds. It also has electric brakes, something I consider essential if towing anything much over 500 pounds or so.

Francesca
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #8

Indiana
Registry
Thanks Francesco. I appreciate all the info. It's a 2006 Kia 2WD manual. Will compare your 2000 lb. to my wt. Judi.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Francesco. I appreciate all the info. It's a 2006 Kia 2WD manual. Will compare your 2000 lb. to my wt. Judi.
I hope you understood that the tow limit on my Sportage is higher than on yours, which I think you gave as 1500 pounds. The first gen limit is 2,000 pounds, and I'm scrupulous not to exceed it. I like to think that's part of the reason it's lasted/served me so well!

I don't advocate nor would I ever recommend that anyone disregard limits imposed by the manufacturers of their vehicles....

Francesca
Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #10

Indiana
Registry
Yes. I saw that. I spoke with scamp people and lso looking at v6 Kia fir same price (Except not a manual transmission, and I am so partial to manual transmissions). So I am still debating. Thanks for good feedback. It's a learning process but as a former hippie girl back in 60s I will figure it out. I do tend to go for riskier side of life and so far the fun has well outweighed the bad outcomes. Judi from Indiana about to set off on my 3rd act.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
....... Thanks for good feedback. ....
You're welcome.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #12

Name: claire
Trailer: dreaming of a life on the road
Illinois
Hi, Don't know if you purchased your Kia yet. I hope you have not. I would advise against ever buying a Kia. They simply don't stand out to me as reliable, well-known, or well-made cars. I don't have a tow vehicle and I'm not towing anything... still dreaming right now, but I do know that a Kia would never be on my choice list. I have owned 2 cars in my life: a Honda Civic and a Ford Focus. Neither can tow more than a 1000- but they both have been outstanding reliable cars. When I choose my tow vehicle, I will try these 2 brands first. Also, when out on the road, you want a car that every mechanic is familiar with. You don't want to be stuck in the boonies because no one knows how to fix a Kia. Also- read Consumer Reports! Subscribe to it if you have to. Even a good car could have a bad year. For example my 2005 Focus rates a millions times better than it's 2004 predecessor. I don't have any hard evidence against Kia, it just sits badly with me, like Saturns. I would shop 10 other manufacturers before even thinking about a Kia or a Saturn. Just my opinion. Good luck!
claire s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #13

Indiana
Registry
Thanks. No I did not buy although it was a lively vehicle. I bought a 2009 Subaru Forester today. Gets good Mpg, is recommended over Honda and most other 4 cylinder range SUVs as it has way more torque and HP. Also got a manual trans which I am committed to. Fit a fantastic deal in vehicle and it maneuvers easily up and down curves and hills. It will tow a 13ft fiberglass easily and even a 16 ft. Thanks for feedback. Now waiting out end of summer looking for the best trailer deal at my price.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
As a fellow Subaru (2008 Legacy) owner who tows a 2011 Scamp (13') I am delighted to hear you purchased a Subaru. Manual shift is the only way to go as far as we're concerned. The car handles beautifully, is fun to drive and the all-wheel-drive gives it an extra safety factor. We have been delighted to tow the trailer with our Subaru (and you will too)!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Good call on the manual transmission. I drove the cvt and thought it was gutless garbage. Mine is a 6 speed manual, and it drives like it has another 50 hp.

As for kia, kia and Hyundai are not the garbage they were 15 years ago. I like my parents kia sorento much better than the Honda CRV they traded in. I refused to drive that thing.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #16

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I hope you understood that the tow limit on my Sportage is higher than on yours, which I think you gave as 1500 pounds. The first gen limit is 2,000 pounds, and I'm scrupulous not to exceed it. I like to think that's part of the reason it's lasted/served me so well!

I don't advocate nor would I ever recommend that anyone disregard limits imposed by the manufacturers of their vehicles....

Francesca
Now if a half ton Toyota could tow the 155,000 lb Space Shuttle Endeavor, I figure my 1-Ton Silverado can tow 1/2 million lbs--I am looking around for something interesting to tow.

A Sportage can tow more than you think, and like a Toyota towing the Endeavor, much depends on the characteristics of the tow--terrain, distance, roads, tug and trailer.

Manufacturer recommendations don't account for modifications to the tug, hitch, or tow. Or driver ability.

You have surely noticed that speed limits don't vary between uphill and down hill. I can mathematically prove that if driving at the sane speed, you can stop quicker traveling uphill than on flat terrain, or downhill...yet the speed limits do not increase for uphill or decrease for downhill.

These are posted limits and manufacturers recommendations are important but they are for a wide range of conditions. Should they be the same for someone living in Florida and someone living in the mountains? I don't think so.

What about gearing? Say you don't use your top gear overdrive...that is common. What if you don't use the next highest gear and avoid highways?

While I don't generally advocate exceeding manufacturers recommendations, I might if I beefed up my suspension, recently serviced my brakes, reinforced my hitch, and used trailer brakes even when not required.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #17

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Thanks. No I did not buy although it was a lively vehicle. I bought a 2009 Subaru Forester today. Gets good Mpg, is recommended over Honda and most other 4 cylinder range SUVs as it has way more torque and HP. Also got a manual trans which I am committed to. Fit a fantastic deal in vehicle and it maneuvers easily up and down curves and hills. It will tow a 13ft fiberglass easily and even a 16 ft. Thanks for feedback. Now waiting out end of summer looking for the best trailer deal at my price.
I love the Forester. Drove an LLBean edition 2007 for several years. After a few years I put studded snow tires on it and was amazed at what it could do. Many people say you don't need studs but they do improve traction 30% on ice. Whatever tires you have you will love it. I miss it enough that I still think about buying another one. Still hoping for a diesel version here in the US.

You will love yours. Rotate your tires frequently as they tend to burn up one tire faster than the others.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
"Now if a half ton Toyota could tow the 155,000 lb Space Shuttle Endeavor, I figure my 1-Ton Silverado can tow 1/2 million lbs--I am looking around for something interesting to tow."
-------------------------------------------------------

That Toyota Tundra seen towing the shuttle almost 1/2 mile, wasn't your father's HiLux p/u.

The Tundra, per the door sticker on one (not mine) in my driveway, lists max bed capacity at 2040 lbs.
Specs show more than 380 HP stock with up to 505 hp available
5.7-Liter Toyota Tundra TRD Packs 504-Horsepower Punch

Sounds like it would give a Silverado a good run for it's money in a pull contest....

And, btw: Toyota paid big bucks for what was, basically an ad shoot on a closed set. Plus that, that American built Tundra now sits next to the shuttle as a forever advertisement for Toyota, an excellent marketing move

All that said, I would never own one, too big, too thirsty and too expensive.

I like my GM products too, (2003 GMC Sonoma, 2003 Blazer 2 dr) but, to survive, GM & others had to learn a lot from the competition.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote