Next time, the turtle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
Since I already was going about 50 or so, giving the car gas would not have occurred to me. What do you think?
Depends on the conditions. Each one is different. The only one thing in common with the majority of them is to not hit the brakes.

I have pulled my element/13 burro combo out of a hydroplane with the panic button on my brake controller. It really works. I used the trailer to pull the car in line, but it would work just as well to pull the trailer in line too.

And I am 5 ft 1.. thats tall, right?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #16

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
And I am 5 ft 1.. that's tall, right?
That's tall if the other person is only 4 feet.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy

I hate to be a wet blanket, but:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/genera...g-capacity.html

and

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_towi...sler_PT_Crusier

There are lots of threads in this forum dealing with towing capacity.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Quote:
Depends on the conditions. Each one is different. The only one thing in common with the majority of them is to not hit the brakes.

I have pulled my element/13 burro combo out of a hydroplane with the panic button on my brake controller. It really works. I used the trailer to pull the car in line, but it would work just as well to pull the trailer in line too.

And I am 5 ft 1.. thats tall, right?

hi - I also am 5'1". As long as my feet reach the ground when I stand up, tall enough and legs long enough.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
thanks for good words Nancy. I've been somewhat astonished at the women who have said lovely things to me about my driving and towing but don't drive and/or tow themselves. I first towed with a teardrop trailer and saw how the PT Cruiser would behave. My Compact II isn't much heavier but is bigger. As shown by the turtle post, I have a lot to learn; I'm such an amateur at this.

As far as being a woman and doing this - if I didn't, I wouldn't get to travel as much with my dogs. My wanting the dog and then dogs along started all this. Being on the open road feels good to me and I'm a person willing to try something - if it doesn't work after a real effort, I stop doing it. The camping thing has worked and I really enjoy seeing the country, going to places such as Great Ape Trust and so many other great spots in the U.S. AND having my dog with me. I like this much better than just driving, driving, and then checking into hotel.

Yes, I know I'm pushing it with towing the Compact II with PT Cruiser even with the stick shift. With the stick, I do okay on hills even if not very fast. Yes, could have given it gas even going 50 on the flat road. I have the car checked regularly and make sure everything is working correctly. I can even occasionally back up the trailer to where I want it to go. Sometimes not. Being short is an advantage with the small camping trailers - I fit in them just fine even without using poptop section. Gina also is somewhat height challenged and she manages a very full life including driving and towing just fine; wish I did as well.

Nancy, enjoy your PT Cruiser - I sure do and have for 8 years.
Pat
Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I had a similar problem with a horse in a trailer. some idiot pulled in front of me on the freeway and stopped! I couldn't stop, so stepped gently on the gas and swerved around him. Shared the left lane with another car who seemed to understand the problem. But, I think the fiberglass trailers have more of a problem with stablility. Consider your experience a practice run and next time hit the turtle, rabbit, etc.